Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I usually get out to hunt the roar this time of year.
However, due to heavy workload and having a baby due in 12 days I wont get time to hunt much this time.
I love the taste of venison but I never hunt trophy's, though I love to watch a big stag through the scope.
Please share your hunting pics or hunting stories to keep me going till next year.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
18,164 Posts
1st child mate?

·
Registered
nissan
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, first one, its a boy. Im fairly excited to have a potential hunting/camping buddy.
Most of my mates that have had kids don't go hunting anymore. I hope it does't happen to me🤞

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,637 Posts
I am not a hunter per se but own some guns. Much like I am am not a fisherman but own some rods etc. But my mates are what I would class as hunters.

My mate (on the left) first deer early this year. The guy on the right is ex army and is a very good hunter. They have been talking it up about the roar but it is yet to happen. One day.

Young fella next door does our dog management.

And I do not mind doing some pest control myself. A cape york pig back in 2019 before the covid. Hard going in the scrub.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,529 Posts
Not a deer hunter myself. Feral pigs are what I like to hunt. But nowhere to go at this point, so no hunting for the forseable future.

·
Registered
nissan
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some nice pics there, I took my old man out at easter but only managed 1 sambar, I think the smoke from burning off in Vic may have spooked them a bit.

We had a great time together though, which we don't get to do much anymore.
I grew up in NZ hunting with my father who shot deer for a living in the 80's, so I guess I have him to thank my love of the bush.
Plant Tree Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,469 Posts
Hi all, I usually get out to hunt the roar this time of year.
However, due to heavy workload and having a baby due in 12 days I wont get time to hunt much this time.
I love the taste of venison but I never hunt trophy's, though I love to watch a big stag through the scope.
Please share your hunting pics or hunting stories to keep me going till next year.
Flies ! ? yep,was introduced to the fly shoot and turned up just to make up the numbers in case attendance was down.First time was mid field,not the right "lead projector" for the game,but second weekend scored a 59/60.5 none more surprised than me I won.😮(y).Not a lot of meat on flies,but a real test for old eyes,and they are harder to track than deer :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
nissan
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats cool, I have always wanted to start fly shooting, what calibre do you use?

·
Registered
nissan
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you have a different twist rate than me I guess, you must load your own, what rifle?

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
27,110 Posts
I'll raise your piddling little .223 with this mother. 😁

c. 1920. George A Lawyer, Chief United States Game Warden, with a 10ft 9in punt gun weighing 250 pounds, used for illegal duck hunting. The gun was capable of killing up to 90 birds with one shot.

Foo

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,469 Posts
I'll raise your piddling little .223 with this mother. 😁

View attachment 531082
c. 1920. George A Lawyer, Chief United States Game Warden, with a 10ft 9in punt gun weighing 250 pounds, used for illegal duck hunting. The gun was capable of killing up to 90 birds with one shot.

Foo
Interesting find,the caption is not quite accurate, ;) punt guns were used for commercial shooting of water birds [from a punt] for market sale,and were not illegal if used in their correct application (y)

·
Registered
nissan
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What sort of groups do you get with the ruger? I have an M77MK2 in 22-250, sold it to my brother and bought a sako 85 in 22-250 to replace it.
I have a T3 in .223 and just use the OSA ammo, it shoots well for factory stuff.

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,469 Posts
What sort of groups do you get with the ruger? I have an M77MK2 in 22-250, sold it to my brother and bought a sako 85 in 22-250 to replace it.
I have a T3 in .223 and just use the OSA ammo, it shoots well for factory stuff.
Messed up the edit on previous post,my group on the fly target is .55 MOA and managed to miss the fly,thats why there are no additional points,as there is one for each fly shot,eg 4 x 10,+ 1 x 9 = 49 plus 10 for group = 59 If I hit the fly say twice it would be + 2 x .1 = 59.2/60.5,possible.did I make sense there ?
T3 is not to be sneezed at,up there with the best, (y)
Something I always scrimped on in the past was glass,but if you can't see it clearly,you won't hit it so buy the best scope for your needs,beware of chineezium fakes of good brands,eg Zeiss.
Czech made Meopta is another good one I have ;)

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,529 Posts
I have two Meostars, and side by side with a top end Zeiss (Diavari maybe it was) they are hard to pick the difference. They are getting more market share here and prices are going up. Still good value compared to Zeiss and Swarovski, and comparable in quality.

·
Registered
Nissan
598 Posts
From what I've heard not a good idea touching wild boar carcasses or wild dogs, but by no means any expert on it. Even feeding road kill or wild kills to domestic dogs as may have hyatid cists being untreated etc. Can anyone expand on that ? Great thread BTW

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,452 Posts
From what I've heard not a good idea touching wild boar carcasses or wild dogs, but by no means any expert on it. Even feeding road kill or wild kills to domestic dogs as may have hyatid cists being untreated etc. Can anyone expand on that ? Great thread BTW
Would also like to hear some input.
No one wants hydatids 🤮🤢

1 - 20 of 54 Posts