Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,340 Posts
Feral pigs have a few problems, the worst is the chance of getting sparganosis, nasty little parasite that likes to end up in your brain. Normal hygiene and you have no problems with the parasites, consumption requires some more work, freezing the carcass or cuts, not just chilling, then cooking thoroughly, no pink flesh or juice. Should be ok then. All wild meat really needs to be treated similarly. By all means hang first for the required time. I never ate pink wild venison. Farmed, I do.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,533 Posts
Eating feral pigs is a subject akin to "What oil should I use?".

I have heard comment from many that say they will never touch it, but others that are happy to eat young ones. It is difficult to get any consensus from hunters.

·
Registered
GU 2007 Cab Chassis Leafie, 6.5L Chev diesel, manual, slide on Tommy Camper on back
252 Posts
Hydatids:
Lots of good info here: Hydatid Disease
TLDR version:
Dog Tapeworms (the species name) infect dogs and other canines, and the tapeworm eggs are shed in faeces of these infected animals.
People become infected by ingesting (swallowing) the eggs.
The larval form of the tapeworm may lodge in various body sites where they form a fluid-filled sac known as a hydatid cyst.
If a cyst leaks or ruptures it can cause a severe allergic reaction and even death.
Humans can only be infected by eating eggs passed by an infected dog or other canine.
Hydatid disease is not transmitted from person to person, or by a person eating the meat of an infected animal.
Don't let a dog lick your face or kiss a dog (to clarify, a canine).

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
No way known would I eat a feral pig. I worked in ICU for a number of years and it surprised me how many people I looked after had hydatids and other parasites. Many from feral pigs.

·
Registered
nissan
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This second lockdown has prompted me to start building an electric quad bike for hunting.
I have the motor mounted, just waiting for battery to be made so I can mount all the other stuff like dcdc converter water lines etc.

·
Registered
nissan
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have has a few bits powdercoated so they arent so shiney
The quad started out as a polaris 330 with a blown motor. I was gifted it for a project bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
This second lockdown has prompted me to start building an electric quad bike for hunting.
I have the motor mounted, just waiting for battery to be made so I can mount all the other stuff like dcdc converter water lines etc.
That will be interesting. Hope it works it well.

Be much better than "thump, thump, thump".

·
Registered
nissan
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That will be interesting. Hope it works it well.

Be much better than "thump, thump, thump".
Yeah, last time I went sambar hunting I called the missus on the radio to come pick me up, I could hear her coming from 2k away.
Thats when I decided it was time for conversion.

·
Registered
nissan
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I went for an overnight trip on my bday back in July and shot a couple of nice fallow. The farmer let me use his coolroom to hang them for a week.
Smoked the racks on my offset smoker, delicious.
Also tried some tandoori backstrap.

Attachments

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
479 Posts
Makes a great curry, and the cutlets on bbq are better than lamb.
Years ago i remember i would have been 12 years old we used to drive 10 hours to this property filled with these pests (goats) the owners i remember will say shoot as many as possible while youre here and on one weekend we would do just that, now that same property traps them and exports them or if you want to hunt them you pay $100 per head plus a nightly fee to be on the property. So gone from shoot to eradicate to gee goat meat is a delicacy and we can make big $$ from it lol.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
479 Posts
That is my sako 85 in 22.250. I dont use it much cause its my favourite rifle. Usually I use my 223 tikka.
What is your thoughts on the sako? When i brought my 223 years ago was going to get a tikka from reading i did online but asoon as i picked it up and started handling it instore i knew it wasnt for me just didnt feel right and the bolt felt sloppy to me..

·
Registered
nissan
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
What is your thoughts on the sako? When i brought my 223 years ago was going to get a tikka from reading i did online but asoon as i picked it up and started handling it instore i knew it wasnt for me just didnt feel right and the bolt felt sloppy to me..
I love the sako, its a lot better built than the tikka.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Yeah, last time I went sambar hunting I called the missus on the radio to come pick me up, I could hear her coming from 2k away.
Thats when I decided it was time for conversion.
Two stroke engines are far superior to four strokes in this situation. It is quite amazing how the sound carries much less. I have done some field "testing" over the years, and a two stroke engine, even in a motocross bike, is much harder to hear coming than even a well muffled four stroke.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,340 Posts
Interesting, I’ve always heard the ringading of the smoky well before the four stroke, probably the frequency losses in my hearing. 🤔🤔🤔

21 - 40 of 54 Posts