Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
890 Posts
Two stroke engines are far superior to four strokes in this situation. It is quite amazing how the sound carries much less. I have done some field "testing" over the years, and a two stroke engine, even in a motocross bike, is much harder to hear coming than even a well muffled four stroke.
Does this apply to animal hearing

·
Registered
nissan
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Two stroke engines are far superior to four strokes in this situation. It is quite amazing how the sound carries much less. I have done some field "testing" over the years, and a two stroke engine, even in a motocross bike, is much harder to hear coming than even a well muffled four stroke.
I also had a crazy double chain drive contraption to suit the gear ratios for the drz motor, that was noisy as hell too. Hopefully the belt will be a lot quieter.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,624 Posts
Pig hunting is my activity, and there is no doubt that the 4 stroke engines alarm them from a long distance. On a noisy rattly two stroke bike, you could ride right up to them.

We have also witnessed an occasion where a 4 stroke bike could be heard in the distance, and pigs were way ahead racking off to the neighbours place. Bike riders saw a dozen pigs, but men on the fence line saw 50 or more the bikes had startled.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
890 Posts
Pig hunting is my activity, and there is no doubt that the 4 stroke engines alarm them from a long distance. On a noisy rattly two stroke bike, you could ride right up to them.

We have also witnessed an occasion where a 4 stroke bike could be heard in the distance, and pigs were way ahead racking off to the neighbours place. Bike riders saw a dozen pigs, but men on the fence line saw 50 or more the bikes had startled.
Would have never thought that in a million years hey!

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Would have never thought that in a million years hey!
Assuming you are serious, I agree. I assumed the two stroke was the noisiest. But it is the low frequency sound of the 4 stroke "thump" that carries over a long distance.

We had a Suzuki Stockman, three cylinder 2 stroke, and you could see it coming towards you, but not hear it until it got close. A Cruiser was able to be heard from a lot further away. I have done a bit of hunting on bikes too, but mine were 2 strokes. One mate had an XR Honda which could be heard from miles away, as mentioned above. Another mate had a YZ125, which you would think would be terrible, but with me on my IT175 we could get real close to them.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
890 Posts
Assuming you are serious, I agree. I assumed the two stroke was the noisiest. But it is the low frequency sound of the 4 stroke "thump" that carries over a long distance.

We had a Suzuki Stockman, three cylinder 2 stroke, and you could see it coming towards you, but not hear it until it got close. A Cruiser was able to be heard from a lot further away. I have done a bit of hunting on bikes too, but mine were 2 strokes. One mate had an XR Honda which could be heard from miles away, as mentioned above. Another mate had a YZ125, which you would think would be terrible, but with me on my IT175 we could get real close to them.
No i was serious, thats why i asked about the hearing of animals because to my ears and im half def lol 2stroke is loud af but your right it could be the frequency that travels. Very interesting mate.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
There is one other thing to add to that, specifically in regards to pigs.

We know they are smart. Property I used to hunt on had a grader for doing the tracks. They were very wary of the bike and 4wd, but would come out of their hidey holes to follow the grader along to root in the loose dirt.

We never tried to borrow the grader, but it might have worked well! 🤣

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
890 Posts
There is one other thing to add to that, specifically in regards to pigs.

We know they are smart. Property I used to hunt on had a grader for doing the tracks. They were very wary of the bike and 4wd, but would come out of their hidey holes to follow the grader along to root in the loose dirt.

We never tried to borrow the grader, but it might have worked well! 🤣
Please do 1 day and film the action for us 😆 🤣

41 - 60 of 60 Posts