Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm having a look at some Hi-Lux inner axle seals, which may or may not be a better option than Nissan seals. Its for a GQ (front inner axle seal)

Thanks fellas
Mark

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Heh heh, did you see that post the other day no eye deer about using the hilus inner seals?. Something about being the same OD, slightly smaller ID and with 3 lip seals.

Got me thinking as well lol.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I'm tempted myself. I emailed the distributor and he said they didn't make them for Patrols. Well I don't doubt that as they are marketed as for Toyotas. I wondered how the OP knew what diameter to get. My problem is that I have replaced everything and they still leak on both sides, right from the get go. The breather isn't blocked either.

Maybe if someone has a seal or an axle out they can measure it or both.

They were Marlin Crawler seals.

·
Registered
nissan
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah SimmoEvo, nothing wrong with Nissan seals, if they're on good axles. Mine? Not so good!

twodiffs- yeah, I did see that post!! Haha!

Heres a copy of the email that Locktup sent me -

"Hi Mark,
I'm interested in this one myself.
The dimensions of the stock seal are 44x32x8

However the Marlin seal has more sealing surface that goes inside the axle tube (basically an extension of the 32mm rubber part), but if the Nissan stock seal is 44x32x8 then the Marlin seal will fit.
Cheers
Chris"

Grafe- I emailed Marlin US, and they said the same thing.

Mark

·
Registered
nissan
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good news everybody! The Hi-Lux seals from Loktup are the same dimensions, bit have an extra 4mm seal offset!! I'm gunna give 'em a try!!

Mark:)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
It'll be interesting to see if they solve your problem. I even changed my axles with new (they had a groove on each of them). Let us know how you go!

·
Registered
nissan
1,819 Posts
Let us know if or when it starts leaking again it only cost $165 to get my L/H rear machined I expect it would be cheaper for people down south.

·
Registered
nissan gu td42ti
92 Posts
I'm tempted myself. I emailed the distributor and he said they didn't make them for Patrols. Well I don't doubt that as they are marketed as for Toyotas. I wondered how the OP knew what diameter to get. My problem is that I have replaced everything and they still leak on both sides, right from the get go. The breather isn't blocked either.

Maybe if someone has a seal or an axle out they can measure it or both.

They were Marlin Crawler seals.
Did the axles have a groove in them ?
-If so you need to use a SKF speedi-sleave fill the groove with devcon or jb weld then install the sleave while epoxy is wet then leave to cure for around 16hr's.
-Or install a circlip slightly larger in dia than in internal dia of the diff tube. This will space the seal out slightly so the seal runs on a non worn part of the axle.

Just be wary in installing seals that have a smaller ID. This is 2 fold the due to the seal running tighter around the axle does not give the oil enough room to lubricate the seal lip and axle contact area. This will cause the seal to run dry get hot and fail. I have seen this with mechanics cutting part of the spring down so the seal in a tighter fit as well. SKF speedi-sleave's are designed and made with micro grooving to allow oil to lubricate the seal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts