Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone rebuilt a TD42 to suit a big turbo ie stronger pistons, comp bearings, head work, anythign like that? if so what sorta power at the wheels and what boost level etc?
just curious :p

·
Registered
nissan
11,202 Posts
many have done it. but to be honest cant imagine many people being so open about what they have done.
most of the ones i know of just use gu turbo pistons, ceramic coated, all balanced and blueprinted bottom end. bit of a head cleanup. then a massive fuel pump and something like a gt35## turbo.
but expect big dollars for it. especially pump and turbo.
the one i know of build up similar like that makes 200rwkw and above 1000nm of torque

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
yes it has been done but the more power your putting out the shorter the lifespan , i heard someone had just built one up and was putting it through is paces on the dyno and blew the motor at something like 40 or 50 psi , i dont think he was too happy

·
Registered
nissan
11,202 Posts
yes it has been done but the more power your putting out the shorter the lifespan , i heard someone had just built one up and was putting it through is paces on the dyno and blew the motor at something like 40 or 50 psi , i dont think he was too happy
dont blame him haha. ive never heard of that kind of boost being good for a td42 though haha.
the one i know if built by seq4x4 was only running something like 20psi and made a shetload of power and torque.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, 1000nm would be crazy! i can imagine the dollars side of things, very costly with diesel

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i think the first restriction is the intake manifold , it is only good till around 3000-3500 rpm then you get uneven air flow to each cylinder

·
Registered
118 Posts
I got a couple of mates here in the wimmera 35 boost heaps of fuel and all you see is where they have been8) MOARY

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I run a stocker at 20 psi.
I have modified the inlet manifold, and drilled steam vents into the head.
Modified fuel pump, DTS turbo kit with modified turbo, big front mount intercooler.
I only rev it to 4000, it goes a bit weird above that, like its valve bouncing or something, or boost induced valve float?

If you want to see big numbers look at the laminova thread.

You're looking at 20k for building a big motor properly. I'll just stick with stockers and see how much they can take.

RELIABLY you'd be lucky, and rich, to get 250kW without adding some gas, be it nitrous or LPG, or water/methanol.
Now why would you do that when you can buy an LS-2 for $4500 brand new? add another $3000 for some decent injection and a cam. you have 300+KW easy.

·
Registered
nissan
105 Posts
Check out "outlaws4x4.com" offroad madness has a TD42 biuld he is running in his comp ute, Ash has spent some coin on it but gets some serious power and RPM from it go and check it out

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
the one i know of build up similar like that makes 200rwkw and above 1000nm of torque
There is or was a GU comp ute from Sydney (owner Phil somebody?) that was making around 240RWKW and bit over 1000nm of torque running 25psi or something. Remember seeing it featured on ARE's website once. Had heaps of head and cam work etc but blew 3 motors before getting it right.

·
Registered
nissan
11,202 Posts
Na the one I know of is in a Gu ute owners name is Kim Bolton(spelling). But there are plenty more of em.
I think even nasty troll on here he has a 200rwkw troll.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
maybe oneday if mine ****s itself i'll start over with making it tuffer, and more boost, IF it ****s itself!!

·
Registered
nissan
116 Posts
Hey, MikeH any chance of giving me some info on your head with the drilling steam holes sides of things and some pics if you could, pm me if you want an email address as im looking at doing it to mine aswell,

Cheers

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Brother in law rang me this morning from Adelaide. His GQ with a supposeably fully recond engine TD42t (silver top in 93 model) threw a rod or something this morning on his way to work. Not happy.
So they aint that strong or something wasn't done right with the rebuild. I'm guessing the latter, or too much boost?
It bloody went well though, pulls up the Southern Expressway in 5th @ 100 with 1/4 throttle easy. Not anymore though :(.
He's pulling the sump off tonight to see what he can find.

·
Registered
nissan
11,202 Posts
id say the later. i mean they are mechenical and sh t can and does go wrong and fail. but they are generally a pretty tough motor and will handle a fair amount of punishment.
in saying that its possible if using aftermarket rods and the like they are not as good as the factory nissan units as they are pretty good.
hope he gets his problems sorted out though not good to hear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts