Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont want to go into a lot of detail, but returning from a trip along the Border Track on the way to Pinnaroo when i saw what i think was a large black cat making a dash for cover along the side of the road. I didn't get a real good look at it, as it happened so quick and i dismissed it as probably just a wallaby. Then after thinking about it for a while, i dont think they have wallabys in this area. Anyone had simular sightings?

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,314 Posts
I have a couple mates that swear they have seen one in Powelltown Victoria. A few locals also believe they have seen it and they call it the Powelly Panther.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
There have been many many sightings of big cats in Victoria... predominantly in the Otway ranges area but also Gippsland ...... many storie around about how they came to be here ... US Airforce mascots released rather than taken back etc.......

some reports and sightings here

Big Cats Victoria :: Sightings, Photos, Physical Evidence

I would take it all with a grain of salt so to speak..

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,695 Posts
Also a HUGE black cat much bigger than a dog sighted several times around South-mid Canterbury here as well, caught on camera as well but this was well over ten years ago.

·
Registered
731 Posts
A few years ago I worked for a Melbourne based helicopter company and I remember that DSE or another govt department hired one of our choppers to go and look for a big cat down Gippsland way. They used our company because we had infrared cameras. Of course, nothing was found. I think it was done because there was a spate of reports of cat sightings at the time. So there you go, your tax dollar at work :)

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Where I go shooting and riding etc in mid NSW, we stopped just off the Cobb Hwy and about 300m away there was a black feral cat walking over the highway. Could of sworn it was over my knee's, absolutely massive. Lucky for it, the .270 was still tucked away at the time.
But there are some mammoth ferals floating around.

·
Registered
Nissan
328 Posts
Mum and Dad saw one at Emmaville NSW on their honeymoon one night . There have been reports of the Emmaville Panther for years .

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
Keep an eye out when your in the Mansfield State Forest too, a couple are out there too. I rekon they are just big feral domestics, when you see one, plant the right foot!!

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
I have heard cows and sheep being torn apart, seen pics of 1, had massive claw marks all up its side... didnt believe him till i seen the pics!!! makes u think twice about camping..

·
Registered
228 Posts
We seen one west of Bourke about 1992. Jet black, around 1 metre between front and back legs + head neck and tail. Bloody big for a feral. Just ambled across the track around 50m in front of us

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
Mmmmmmm, Yom Yom

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan gq
706 Posts
Ive been doing night runs up in the bunyip/labertouche area since i was 18, drunk and sober,and i have never ever seen one in that area.People swear black and blue that there's one there.Although i did once see, ohh hang on that was a drunk trip.;)

·
Registered
Nissan
2,881 Posts
Problem is, from what I am led to believe, there is no such thing as a black panther/mountain lion, which the legend yarns always have as being the escaped/released animal that has now populated half of Australia,

Jaguar are naturally black but no one claims that this is the animal that is raoming Oz.
There is no such thing as a black panther/mountain lion/couger apparently.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts