Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across the Tefba Coolant filter whilst on evilbay and have fitted one. Great for removeing grains of rust before they get to the rediator. But yesterday it wa a bit warm , and when I checked the oil etc, noticed it had been leaking slightly . Has anyone had similar issue?
Cheers Greg

·
Registered
nissan
298 Posts
I haven't used one personally but what you could use instead of the TEFBA filter. Get some old stockings off your missus, take the radiator hose off and place stocking over the neck and refit the hose. As the coolant passes through the stocking it catches all the ****.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Maybe you need to find where the rust is coming from and fix that, also use extra corrosion inhibitor.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe you need to find where the rust is coming from and fix that, also use extra corrosion inhibitor.
Well i replaced all hoses, water pump, thermostat, radiator, I'll do the extra corrosion inhibitor, how do one go about tracking where it coming from?
Cheers Greg
ps I was only thinking the other day that i'd look around for a shorty, and came across your post, I live in Loxton , but i just don;t recall ever seeing the one u bought! Strange as Loxtons not that big!

·
Registered
nissan
59 Posts
I don't have one now, but I used one on a previous car we had.
Put it in when I replaced the engine with one that had been sitting around for a while. Worked great because the dry water jacket had heaps of loose scale in it. The TEFBA filter caught heaps of junk that would have ended up in our radiator.
Much easier to clean than a stocking over a radiator hose too :)

·
Registered
nissan
59 Posts
Have you seen them Yom? http://www.mako.com.au/ibm_docs/mako/product_images/body.jpg
I think if you had enough rubbish to block a Tefba, you must have really big problems.
When I first fitted ours I checked it really often. Maybe after an hour, then after a couple of hours, a day, two days, and so on. After it'd been there for a while it was getting so little rubbish that I wouldn't look at it for ages. Never saw any danger of it blocking.
Based on the above web site, they've almost doubled in price since I got ours. Good reason to shop around.

·
Registered
nissan
11,174 Posts
i think similar but trucks run them. or a coolant enhancer filter to a)remove the foreign gunk and to also increase the life of the coolant. id say these are similar. mayby

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
I have a TEFBA on my GQ, been there a year.
My system must be pretty clean as i have only caught a couple of small bits of rubber from a perished hose that was on the car when i bought it (hose has been replaced) - which is why i got a TEFBA.

Worth the money IMO, if there is any crap, may as well catch it before it lodges somewhere else and blocks everything else up.
You filter your oil and your fuel so why not your cooling system.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well my systems getting cleaner, I was getting grains of rust caught in the filter, so i flushed the coolant out of the system and noticed as I was flushing the heater lines that the rust was heaviest there , so I am probably uo for a new heater core or just bypass the heater.

At least all the crap wasn't lodging in the new radiator. And without the filter I wouldn't have been aware that there was an issue.
cheers Greg

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,345 Posts
What happens to water flow once it fills up with crap?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
It will surely block water flow, thats why am planning to clean that after 500km. (same time I top up my diesel) and decide if I need to do it again after 500km or I can increase its interval until I don't see anything from that tea strainer

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,142 Posts
Not really a good idea to use any filter. Change coolant in every 3 years and you never get any rust. I use long life coolant good for 5 years ,but change it in 3 years. My wife's Toyota is 22 years old. No sign of any rust. Still the original cooling system including radiator, cap etc.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought this one with 200k on it. first owner just used tap water when filling in the cooling system, i had the radiator rodded and it was full of rust. i've also flushed the system without the radiator and the thermostat, lots of rust came out, specially the heater core line. now that I am putting everything back, I would like to make sure that I catch what might block the rad, this install is not permanent, it will only stay there until I don't see any more debris from that filter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts