Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, In the last few months i got myself a LWB MAV 4.2D with 260k.
Bought it with a new 2" lift and UHF. They old fella i bought it off used it to camp and pan for gold and i've only taken out for a 4wd once.
Now have 33's, front tube bar, driving lights, rear drawers with fridge slide and safari snorkel about to go on.
But... Work has changed and now i need to carry all my tools on a daily basis and i just dont have enough room so looking for a ute if anyone out there with a ute is looking for more seats let me know.
cheers

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What would i be looking at for a chop including getting it engineered? And im not sure how long this would take but i cant really be without it hence looking to swap.
Im located in Melbourne. thanks

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
if you do it yourself you can do it for under $500 depends how handy you are with a welder and grinder i did one in 2 days once thats everything except paint. you can get it engeneered at archi robertson's in bayswater he's pretty decent that costs $950 you pay 500 first visit he looks at the chop tells you if you need any suports or anyhing else done then you pay the rest when you go back. they also check basic roadworthy and any other upgrades you've done eg suspention and body lift and tyre sizes.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
if you pay somone to do it cheepest iv herd is $2000 some places want $5000 with out a engeneers.

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
Dont go hacking up a perfectly good car just because says it will be 'more cost effective'.
In the long run, it will be harder to sell, it will be harder to insure and you then need to make sure there are no other issues later on down the track.
You will also need to respray the cab, buy a rear window section and piss fart around with everything else.

Sell the wagon and buy a ute.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
you make it sound hard davway. insurance is no hassle if its engeneered i got a rear window cut and fitted in saftyglass for $200. doesnt need a full respray just paint match.. and you can customize it to how you like it.. the stock utes have no cab room. if you make it you can make twin cab or space cab. in a stock ute you can only fit 2 rifles behind the seat, the seats sit verticle if you need to have it rite back. and the pasanger doesnt get much room. also what issues are you talking about down the track? you mean rear barndoors breaking? or smashing up rear 1/4 pannels or dinting the back? or your fuel filler door not opening? oh thats rite you dont have anyone of them...

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
in a stock ute you can only fit 2 rifles behind the seat, QUOTE]
:bs: I can fit 3 behind mine!! change ya gun case:p

No room for anything else but:( the extra cab would be nice, bloke at work has extra 300mm behind seat and makes the world of difference.

If you confident to give it a go why not, worse case is you stuff it up, sell the body and fit a ute cab and tray to your chassis

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
After attempting to do a wagon to ute conversion
They are definately NOT for the faint hearted
Know exactly what you want BEFORE you start chopping

Anyone see what the goin rate for a ute rear wall is lately ???
Oh you say go custom ,yeah costs ???

I ended up buying a complete ute
Around the same money as the engineering costs alone were
Yeah limited cab area,but its a ute
Theres been GQ ute cabs on evilbay lately selling for $500
Even a simple body swap has to aprooved

Really depends what ya really want

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
Theres a ute cab on Ebay now.

Anyway, hardly what the OP wants as he needs the car on the road - not off the road for 6 months trying to hack it.

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guy, as easy or hard as different people think, i want to stay away from chopping it, i wouldnt be able to do it myself and dont really wanna pay those costs for someone else to do it then get a tray built. Il just keep looking and see what comes up. I read somewhere on here one or two members were thinking of going to a lwb from a ute for more seats, maybe they havnt read it yet. thanks guys

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
The main issue is the GQ Utes are worth plenty more than a wagon
Same motor mods ect theres alotta $$$ difference

A wagon to ute body swap would be the cheapest option
Shouldnt cost much more than your donor wagon and a K or so
2nd hand alloy trays can be had for a coupla hundred
Can be done over a good weekend
Theres a few that have done this
Maybe throw a wanted add out there for assistance and see what happens

·
Registered
nissan patrol
109 Posts
I am not interested in getting into an argument about this on a forum, but the fact of the matter remains that,

NOBODY WILL SWAP A WAGON FOR A UTE.

I merely intend to put it into perspective for the gentlemen requesting the thoughts on this subject.

Regards

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not interested in getting into an argument about this on a forum, but the fact of the matter remains that,

NOBODY WILL SWAP A WAGON FOR A UTE.

I merely intend to put it into perspective for the gentlemen requesting the thoughts on this subject.

Regards
There are people with utes that now need more than 2 seats for certain reasons, and im aware they are worth more than wagons and if anyone was looking for a wagon it would be a swap plus $$$

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Now i see mention of wagon and $$$
Chuck a Wanted Add in the classifieds on the forum
Yes someone mite be interested in a trade of sorts
But make sure ALL the details are outlined

What ya think ya wagon is worth and the $$$ amount your willing to throw in the pot

·
Registered
nissan
863 Posts
Hey guys, In the last few months i got myself a LWB MAV 4.2D with 260k.
Bought it with a new 2" lift and UHF. They old fella i bought it off used it to camp and pan for gold and i've only taken out for a 4wd once.
Now have 33's, front tube bar, driving lights, rear drawers with fridge slide and safari snorkel about to go on.
But... Work has changed and now i need to carry all my tools on a daily basis and i just dont have enough room so looking for a ute if anyone out there with a ute is looking for more seats let me know.
cheers
Honestly my best advice would be to take the back seats out, put a cargo barrier in & use the wagon for the tools.
A LWB wagon with no rear seats also is easier to keep the tools safely locked up.

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd love to just get a trailer but my parents dont want me taking up the last of the space on the driveway with a trailer.
If i keep the wagon would take out the 2nd row of seats and make a floor the whole way through to the front seats. Has anyone done this? cheers

·
Banned
nissan y60
141 Posts
i have a ute i wouldent mind swaping. i kinda want to take missus and kid 4wding with me again. cos i to had a mint 80 series wagon then worked changed and needed a ute. i put a 5l in it and heaps of other gear

1 - 20 of 21 Posts