Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anzac day falls on Monday, please ensure that you pause to remember those who have fallen, those that have served and those continue to serve the great country that you live in.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Lest we forget.

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
I have taken my kids to the Dawn service the last 3 years, this will be the 4th.

Last year was bit of a revalation to me.
We went to the not so local RSL we go to where they block the road off and everyone forms up a block away and marches down to the club. They put on a breakfast which is great and everyone except me gets stuck into free beers at 6am. I throw the bar maid right off and ask for orange juice which she usually has to dig out of somewhere me being the first and only person to ask for it.

I heard a few old diggers talking last year and one old guy especially that was saying how just before he walked into the club ( he was a flag bearer at the front of the procession) he looked up the road and he couldn't see the end of the march as it went so far up the road and over the crest which was at least 500 yards away.

The other old guys were exclaiming much the same thing and saying how much it meant to them that there were more people in the march than what they could remember for decades. Clearly they were pretty touched and literally fighting back a tear. They were also chuffed at how they held the service indoors due to the imminent rain and people were packed in like sardines and still out the door onto the front verandah.
The first guy said the sight of all they young families and kids there whom he had no idea who they were was also something he'd never forget.

It made me realise that this small and insignificant thing does count and means a lot to people who did so much and went through hell for this country. I told my kids about what I heard and told them while pointing the old blokes out, this is the tiny sacrifice we make of getting out of bed early once a year to say thanks to these blokes and even though they went though so much, this little thing really means something to them.

Well be up there again monday morning for sure and I doubt i'll hear a grumble from the kids this time round.
I won't bloody want to put it that way.

AWESOME... thanks for sharing. my kids have never missed a dawn service and our littliest daughter will be marching with her Pa's (who she never met) medals in her prep uniform this year. Anyone want to see a big fella shed a tear come to beerwah this year.:D.
Lest We Forget.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Right on Purplebus, I go ever year and my kids have never missed one with me and my wife. Lest we forget.

After the minute silence I am overwhelmed every year, brings a tear to my eyes when the last post starts to play.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,275 Posts
Rightly or wrongly I have not been to one, but doesn't mean to say I don't think about the men and women who lost their lives and that have and am still serving aren't on my mind!:(

When my wife and I had a business, we used too do the chest plaques for the RSL that the school kids would wear at the marches. The kids would pick out a fallen digger or have their relatives name with the medallion ribbons placed onto them.

To see the age of the WW1 & WW2 fallen was very upsetting and depressing, eg; 15/16/17/18 yr olds. So many lost their life on the very first day of battle. I get a lump in my throat and misty eyed just remembering what I saw in the summary of these young and not so young.:cry:

There was also the one from the later wars that Australia was involved with to, not to mention the blokes that I have meet, that have been through hell, all in the name of freedom for our country and others. Makes you wonder and appreciate what we have now although, some of the lowlife scum alive now, should be flogged to within an inch of their life, to show how good a country we live in!!!!!!!!:angryfir:

·
Registered
nissan
436 Posts
This year I will miss the dawn service as I have moved out of my home town and the town I live in at the moment hasn't got a memorial as it was only built in the late 60s due to the Tasmanian bush fires, but I will be taking the kids to the 11am service and I know from the questions they ask that they have some kind of understanding of what it all means. I think it is great to see all the young kids there with their parents and grand parents watching and joining in. The problem with many of the youth of today is that they lack RESPECT for others and most couldn't care too hoots what ANZAC day means or is about but I know my kids do and if they ever forget they will have a meeting with my boot and thats what many others that roam the streets today need but in many case their parents are no differant to them

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,275 Posts
I agree with your thoughts Glort also!;)

The bloke that started the plaques idear became a close friend of ours. He went through Korea and Vietnam and some of the things he told would have most of these so called street thugs and wannabes crapping and pi/ssing themselves with fear.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately he passed away sometime ago at the age of 61.:( I saw him at 11am and left him at 12.30pm and he was gone at 3pm, just devastating for all that knew him.

Kai-Jak, you nailed in three words...........lacking in RESPECT.

·
Registered
nissan gq swb
483 Posts
I also have never been to a dawn service, and probably never will. Memories are in my mind, dont have to be shown to others to prove you care.

My father served in the WW2, but didnt talk about it to us kids. He spent time in Borneo, and other parts up that way. I still have his medals, and paperwork etc. I just missed out on the Vietnam war callup, but know plenty who went.

Unfortunatelly, I think in the future, the Anzac tradition will fade with the younger attitude.:(

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Unfortunatelly, I think in the future, the Anzac tradition will fade with the younger attitude.:(
Only if "we" let it... :(

Certainly alive and well in my Kids and Grandkids who all have the utmost respect for those who have, are and will serve honourably in the ADF.

I'll be putting on the ribbons and going for a wander down the street with a few mates on Monday 'cause I reckon Anzac Day participation means more now than ever before as the list continues to grow of those who will not grow old.

·
Registered
nissan
446 Posts
I'm planning to take my wife to her first dawn service at Martin Place on monday. Haven't been in some time since just before my pop died. Can remember me dad taking me to pick pop up and going into the dawn service every year since i was 2. Its been 12 yrs now since he passed. this year will feel kinda funny being the first one without him. Hopefully our kids and their kids will continue some of these traditions that alot of us have grown up with.

A Tribute to ANZAC Day

With their hair a little whiter, their step not quite so sure
Still they march on proudly as they did the year before.
Theirs were the hands that saved us, their courage showed the way
Their lives they laid down for us, that we may live today.

From Gallipoli's rugged hillsides, to the sands of Alamein
On rolling seas and in the skies, those memories will remain.
Of airmen and the sailors, of Lone Pine and Suvla Bay
The boys of the Dardenelles are remembered on this day.

They fought their way through jungles, their blood soaked desert sands
They still remember comrades who rest in foreign lands.
They remember the siege of old Tobruk, the mud of the Kokoda Trail
Some paying the supreme sacrifice with courage that did not fail.
To the icy land of Korea, the steamy jungles of Vietnam
And the heroic battle of Kapyong and that epic victory at Long Tan.

Fathers, sons and brothers, together they fought and died
That we may live in peace together, while at home their mothers cried.
When that final bugle calls them to cross that great divide
Those comrades will be waiting when they reach the other side.

Lest We Forget..

·
Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market
nissan
3,026 Posts
Well done mate, we all have a lot to be thankful of, this great land would not be the same without those who fought for it, and died for it.
Here's to any that are left, I am grateful to you and your lost comrades.
Rod.

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
This will be the first year in 30 yrs that I haven't been to an Anzac Service. Always did Dawn Service and then the Main March. I am not well at present and think if I marched i would end up worse off. My physc (i call em my fruit loop controller) reckons thats a good idea too.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
187 Posts
I'm not an aussie myself, but since i came to this country, some 40 years ago never missed an anzac service, my thank you to all the diggers that gave their life for this country to be the way it is, the envoy of the whole world. It does remind me of my old man who passed away now of him being in the war in different part of the world.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Well done jelmatt. Good on ya mate.

·
Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market
nissan
3,026 Posts
This will be the first year in 30 yrs that I haven't been to an Anzac Service. Always did Dawn Service and then the Main March. I am not well at present and think if I marched i would end up worse off. My physc (i call em my fruit loop controller) reckons thats a good idea too.
Sounds like you've done ya bit mate, thanks heaps.;)

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Lest we forget.

It is our day of National pride and a day we remember those who gave us the ultimate sacrifice.

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
Unfortunatelly, I think in the future, the Anzac tradition will fade with the younger attitude
In NZ the parades and dawn Service get bigger each year. First ANZAC day back in Oz in 12 years for me, doing dawn Service in Lismore.
I personally reflect on ALL war dead on this day, not just the ANZAC's, my grandmothers brothers were German and died on the eastern front. My father served three tours of Vietnam and he's pretty F'ed up. War is not good and it is not about good and evil, its about politics or religion. If we got rid of both there would be no war.
Al

1 - 20 of 38 Posts