Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ive just had the zd30 pin pulled on my 2005 GUIV ST... Its only got 124000kms on it!

It over boosted causing some serious damage. At the moment its been compression tested and has one set of results. The results were

No.1 90psi
No.2 150psi
No.3 140psi
No.4 200psi

These were done with a meter that had just been calibrated but we want to check it with another meter to make sure the results are accurate as they are a fair way out... I think its between 370-420psi is what it should be but don't quote me on that i think that was what i was told by my mechanic.

The head wont be removed until we get the next set of results after the long weekend.

After the engine over boosted it was blowing a heap of black smoke but no white.

So after ive got the results from both compression tests im going to get a detailed report written up by my mechanic and take it to Nissan. Ive done a fair bit of research of who to talk to, but i don't really know what i need to take with me to Nissan to argue my case.

Im pretty disappointed ive owned the car for a year and it hasn't missed a beat until the other day. Being 124000kms and failing definitely shouldn't happen.

Thanks Guys!

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,172 Posts
Question re the grenade

That is not good.

Some questions mate.

What oil were you running?

Is the vehicle fitted with performance mods/chip & exhaust?

What boost was it running?

Was the motor fitted with a Dawes & needle valve?

Was the turbo spooling too fast?

Do you have a Pyro fitted & what EGT's were you running when this happened?

Do you have a catch can fitted?

Do you know the history of the vehicle prior to you purchasing it?

I had similar with my 03 & dropped a new long motor in back in April/May.

·
Registered
nissan
8,921 Posts
How do you know it "overboosted".

As for it shouldnt fail at 124,000kms (which is a nothing measurement in terms of actual engine run time), I dont know what your implying but in my experiance there is no minimum time for a failure to occur.

Also those readings are inaccurate, if it actually had that compression (and compression distribution) there is no way it would start let alone run. And the smoke would be white not black.

·
Autos are Superior
11,601 Posts
As for it shouldnt fail at 124,000kms (which is a nothing measurement in terms of actual engine run time), I dont .
he means in a modern diesel 4wd it should last more than 124,000klms before ****ting itself.

how to approach Nissan - take everything with you and call the head office. Shame you didnt take it to a dealer to get checked out, they could hasve done it all for u

·
Registered
nissan
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is not good.

Some questions mate.

What oil were you running? Castrol Edge 5W30

Is the vehicle fitted with performance mods/chip & exhaust? Not at all Standard motor

What boost was it running? Factory settings

Was the motor fitted with a Dawes & needle valve? Unfortunately not may have prevented the problem

Was the turbo spooling too fast? No idea

Do you have a Pyro fitted & what EGT's were you running when this happened? Unsure as no egt gauge had been fitted. They had been purchased and were going on the weekend before the failure.

Do you have a catch can fitted? No

Do you know the history of the vehicle prior to you purchasing it? Log book service history

I had similar with my 03 & dropped a new long motor in back in April/May.
It never went over 7000kms with out a service

·
Registered
nissan
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you know it "overboosted".

As for it shouldnt fail at 124,000kms (which is a nothing measurement in terms of actual engine run time), I dont know what your implying but in my experiance there is no minimum time for a failure to occur.

Also those readings are inaccurate, if it actually had that compression (and compression distribution) there is no way it would start let alone run. And the smoke would be white not black.
Benno its only 24000kms out of warranty. Engine use is measured in kms thats what they are going to use as a bench mark. Its not like they have an hours meter like my boat.

The engine wouldnt start after the overboosting issue

The overboost felt like a surge like pressing the clutch while driving on the freeway without releasing the accelerator

·
Registered
nissan
8,921 Posts
Benno its only 24000kms out of warranty. Engine use is measured in kms thats what they are going to use as a bench mark. Its not like they have an hours meter like my boat.

The engine wouldnt start after the overboosting issue

The overboost felt like a surge like pressing the clutch while driving on the freeway without releasing the accelerator
It doesnt matter how many kilometers or time it is out of warranty, its OUT of warranty.
Time is used as a benchmark - see your log book.

"Overboost" will have triggered a fault code and hence cut fuel at about 27psi or whatever additonal level the GUIV trips at. The IV ECU sees boost level and will have cut fuel. 27psi for a one off incident will not cause such a loss of compression.

Overboost in the traditional ZD30 sense I dont think has happened here. Unless you can prove this by either ECUTalk or a boost gauge then it will not have happened.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,172 Posts
Where do you live Pointless? Maybe someone can assist you in identifying the issues or root cause with the use of ECUtalk.

Have you tried the simple things like, clean or replace the MAF, change the Air cleaner & fuel filter?

I'd clean or change the MAF first. It could be faulty after 124k if its never been changed.

What code was identified to indicate Overboost?

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,172 Posts
It never went over 7000kms with out a service
I was also curious as to how the vehicle was driven prior to you owning it, ie, was it a tow vehicle, highway vehicle or a shopping trolley etc?

The previous owner may have had issues with the MAF or ECU and got rid of it?

Unfortunately, there is no way in knowing the history or the condition of the internals of the motor when purchasing a second hand vehicle. Sure the modifications can (possibly) give you the tell tale signs eg. MAF readings, Boost readings, EGT's etc of a motor letting go, but they will never give you the full understanding of the internal condition of the motor prior to purchasing the vehicle. For this reason alone, I went a new long motor when mine failed / started to blow bubbles.

·
Registered
nissan
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was also curious as to how the vehicle was driven prior to you owning it, ie, was it a tow vehicle, highway vehicle or a shopping trolley etc?

The previous owner may have had issues with the MAF or ECU and got rid of it?

Unfortunately, there is no way in knowing the history or the condition of the internals of the motor when purchasing a second hand vehicle. Sure the modifications can (possibly) give you the tell tale signs eg. MAF readings, Boost readings, EGT's etc of a motor letting go, but they will never give you the full understanding of the internal condition of the motor prior to purchasing the vehicle. For this reason alone, I went a new long motor when mine failed / started to blow bubbles.
It was bought from a country town. But used as a run around kids to school ect. It was bog stock clean and straight as a whistle.

Ive owned it for a year now and it has been perfect until the other day. Never missed a beat.

My service intervals in TIME were 4-6months there about.

No check engine light has appeared and also no fault codes on a scan. When it was attempted to be stared it just kicked over with a clear miss on every 4th revolution if that makes sense. We could hear the miss through the snorkel as well.

I'm in Eltham Victoria

·
Registered
276 Posts
From Nissan Manual, the compression of zd30 should be 427 psi standard, minimum 356 psi and maximum difference between cylinders is 43 psi.

As some them have pointed out it would start if you only have 90-100 psi on a diesel engine.

I would check all the usual stuff like MAF, leaking intercooler and turbocharger... If you engine start, you ZD30 has not pulled the pin. More like its accessory is having problem.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
So after ive got the results from both compression tests im going to get a detailed report written up by my mechanic and take it to Nissan. Ive done a fair bit of research of who to talk to, but i don't really know what i need to take with me to Nissan to argue my case.
Thanks Guys!
Is any of the service history you have done by a Nissan dealer???

If not it is not worth the paper it is written on to show to Nissan firstly as anyone can stamp and fill out a service history when its time to sell and secondly if not dealer serviced Nissan will have absolutely NO inclination to offer assistance. Their view is you didn't think they were good enough to do your service/take your money so don't come crying to us now. I say this not having a dig at you just knowing the way they are.

If it has dealer history you will still be pushing smelly brown stuff up a hill with a pointy stick.
Reason A : It is out of warranty by two years at least no matter the klms.
Reason B : They are very tight on goodwill (out of warranty) claims these days.
Reason C : It is not a known common problem on this model (after 2002-3)
Reason D : Doesn't even sound like the problem that afflicts the early models. But of course none of us (including you) seem to know what actually happened (cause) and what the actual problem is.
If it hasn't thrown a code I would doubt it has overboosted or at least overboosted to any great extent but happy to be corrected on that.

Just how I reckon it will go. If you don't need it back right away feel free to ghost Nissan for a few weeks and see how you go. If you are in any hurry just cop it sweet. It is part of buying a used car. Unless you knew the owner when he had it (and he is the one and only owner) you have no real idea why he is selling it, how it has been serviced or what problems it has previously had.

·
Registered
nissan
11,234 Posts
unfortunately your user name is the same as your efforts to get a new motor out of nissan.
i really cannot see you standing a hope in hell of them paying up. as even to this day they havent admitted that there is any fault with this engine. even know we all know different.
if it had ALL genuine nissan servicing you may have a hope. if not well your chances are lessened again. and if there is no codes or anything in the ecu well makes it hard to prove overboost. so another shot in your foot unfortunately. but do another compression test and also a leak down test to find out what has gone and try your luck but i think it will be pointless.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
9,132 Posts
sorry to hear that mate. . . . as for how i would approach Mr Nissan. . . . if you look on the forms that came with your shooters licence you will see that a category 'B' longarm licence, allows the use of "black powder ball firing cannon" iv always wondered what possible use it serves on my licence . . . . . . but it might be handy for somebody in your situation.;)

keep us updated. . . good luck bud.

·
Banned
616 Posts
as even to this day they [Nissan] havent admitted that there is any fault with this engine. even know we all know different.
I'm not being a smart arse and am well aware Benos has vastly more experience and knowhow than myself but from reading the forum over a long period I had walked away with the understanding Nissan officialy reccognised and "fixed" the issue in late 2002 ?
Have I misunderstood ?

·
Registered
nissan
11,234 Posts
They officially fixed the main issues in 02 but I'm lead to believe they never came out and just said hey we farked up. I'm gladly proven wrong but from people I've spoken to had said they never admitted fault. But again I'm gladly proven wrong.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.