Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running an Engal fridge for the past 10-12 years & I love it. I love it even more when I compare it to these ARB fridges that everyone in the UAE is buying now!
My mate bought his first ARB about two years ago....within a year the thermostat started to play up and the fridge went into freezer mode regardless of the settings.
He complained to ARB here and they gave him a new fridge because they knew that there had been an issue with the ARB/Waeco thermostat and they wanted to keep him happy.
Now after little over a year....the same problem has come back....freezer mode only!
You wouldn't expect to see the same problem on a product that's little over a year old & costs over $1000 would you?

Recently the plastic latch that secures the lid broke off.....ARB cried and cried and eventually gave him a replacement.

I've heard of three other ARB fridges that had the same issues....are they seeing this problem with the thermostats in Australia too? Whats being done about it?

Here's a good read from South Africa! Engel Fridge Dissapointment - 4x4 Community Forum

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
First i have heard of this. I have had mine for about 2 years now and it cops a flogging, lives out on my ute tray in the rain,mud and dust. Not a single trouble yet!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
My workmate has had his for about 3 years now. No probs at the moment.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,990 Posts
Mine has been fine too. It's constantly on, and maintains a nice 5 degrees to keep the beer cool.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
2 years old and not a issue my model is 78L. Its had a hard life in the back of trailer, few river crossings and electrical trailer fire and still going strong.

There is only one fridge in the world that is truly the best and thats National Luma.

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first model of ARB fridge used a control unit with a built in thermostat that could not be replaced. If the stat went wrong you had to change the entire controller.
The fridge was then modified so that just the thermostat could be replaced in the event of failure.
I've heard that you can tell the difference between the Mk1 and MkII by the colour of the LED display.
It's strange that four people in our club have experienced the same failures.
National Luna is not available in the UAE so I couldn't comment on them.
Biggest market share is Waeco and ARB because they have dealers.
Engal is not represented here in Dubai anymore but I'm not worried since they just keep on going.
Do we have any insiders from ARB on the forum?

·
Registered
nissan
755 Posts
yeah ive had to good years out of mine, with a few river crossing to boot

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,083 Posts
5 years and still going strong. I'm guessing close to the first of their own models after they went away from the rebadged engels.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
That's why a mechanical thermostat is the more reliable no problem in over 20 years with my 2 fridges.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
First i have heard of this. I have had mine for about 2 years now and it cops a flogging, lives out on my ute tray in the rain,mud and dust. Not a single trouble yet!
X2 Mines lived through a couple of Pilbara summers on the tray of my ute also.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I am at almost 12 months on mine.
Just had the hinge that locks the lid to the body break. That was replaced in about 5 seconds flat by ARB.

It gets used as the communal fridge at the lake for 5 months of the year so I expected it to break to be honest.

It has been on non-stop since I bought it, I run it between -2 and 2 degrees depending on how full it is.

It uses significantly less power on 12v than any of my mates fridges.

I also like the wide long design so the space you do have isn't just depth.

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
this is the first ive heard of anyone having issues, i bought mine early this yr and the guy told me about the thermostat thing and he said arb was swapping them over to the serviceable one if there was a problem, also after they changed the handle he told me they were even giving people new handles out of the warranty period

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My mate got an email from ARB Australia yesterday informed my him they will supply him with a brand new replacement fridge with the MkIII design thermostat.
This will be the third ARB fridge he's had in three years!

I have to applaud ARB for chucking out fridges left right and center everytime they go wrong!

·
Registered
nissan
2,413 Posts
My mate got an email from ARB Australia yesterday informed my him they will supply him with a brand new replacement fridge with the MkIII design thermostat.
This will be the third ARB fridge he's had in three years!

I have to applaud ARB for chucking out fridges left right and center everytime they go wrong!
Must be getting them cheap if they can afford to keep replacing them....

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu4.2
1,085 Posts
I'd rather a fridge that you don't have to replace

1 - 20 of 32 Posts