Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok about to have a front locker installed , and I haven't much room under the engine bay, and don't really want to mount it behind the seat

so where have you had yours mounted pics would be great, prefer to have it under bonnet

and is there any real reason to have it mounted incab ?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
831 Posts
I'm in the same boat.Have decided to put it under the passenger seat,just for longevity reasons as it wont be affected from the heat & crud from the engine bay.Can't see any reason why this is not the perfect place apart from the noise,should'nt be a prob with a GQ though,they're not the quietest of vehicles.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in the same boat.Have decided to put it under the passenger seat,just for longevity reasons as it wont be affected from the heat & crud from the engine bay.Can't see any reason why this is not the perfect place apart from the noise,should'nt be a prob with a GQ though,they're not the quietest of vehicles.
true mate, was more not liking having the hose and the wiring running under the carpet, have seen a pic from New Zealand of one being mounted in the glove box :eek:

yeah gotta love the Gq squeaks and rattles :p

·
Registered
nissan
199 Posts
mines under the passenger seat there not real noisey also easier to hook up the air hose for inflating tyres no need to open the bonnet. the magic instant driver ability blue line runs straight out the floor where all the factory wiring goes under the seat and the arb loom was just long enough to reach the battery

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
If you want you air compressor to be reliable and fast, protect from the elements and fit it in your cab.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
x2...mines under the drivers seat. Not noisy or anything and no probs with wiring etc.
Exhaust hose gets fed down through a grommet in the floor.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds like under the seat is the better option then :), be nice to mount it where the factory jack go's looks nice and neat in there, but utes don't have that luxury ;)

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Hey tassie patrol.
i have mine mounted in the engine bay, it sits on the drivers side skirt infront of the brake booster and behind the relay compartment. as the compressor twists easily in its mounting housing i have the plate on the skirt right up under the guard and the compressor body is pretty protected where it is, every time i go out, it never gets dirty. the tank for the lockers has been turned to the top to allow access for when i get lockers and the air fitting sits at a 45degree angle.
i was going to go under the passenger seat but they need to be kept cool i believe.
just swich it on, pop the bonnet plug in the air line (trying to find a good place to store this under the bonnet too) and its good to go. to test if it stayed cool where its mounted i let my tyres down and pumped them all up without giving it a break except for moving between corners and it was all good at the end, only just got warm really.
if ya want a picture let me know and ill throw one up.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
i was going to go under the passenger seat but they need to be kept cool i believe.
So your engine bay is cooler than inside the cab?????????????????

Hot engine= Hot compresser that cuts out quicker

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So your engine bay is cooler than inside the cab?????????????????

Hot engine= Hot compresser that cuts out quicker
Think your forgetting your not going to have the bonnet shut and have high engine bay temp when stationary pumping up tyres ;)

I'm not that fussed at making it good for pumping up tyres, (there to slow at that), mine's going in for the intent of activating the front locker, be lucky if it will be pumping up many tyres, as I hardly ever drop mine any lower than 20psi anyway
one thing that does worry me about having it on the floor under the seat, is I have flooded mine more than once where a it would nearly be under water on the floor, and I'm sure it's bound to happen again, lol

yes mate a pic would be great

·
Registered
nissan
199 Posts
there waterproof all you have to do is mount the air cleaner higher arb have one running in a fish tank on display and the instructions tell you about the filter

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I'm not that fussed at making it good for pumping up tyres, (there to slow at that), mine's going in for the intent of activating the front locker, be lucky if it will be pumping up many tyres, as I hardly ever drop mine any lower than 20psi anyway
one thing that does worry me about having it on the floor under the seat, is I have flooded mine more than once where a it would nearly be under water on the floor, and I'm sure it's bound to happen again, lol
I have all my rear seats out and have built a drawer/storage system throughout the back.
The compressor is bolted vertically at the front of this, so it sits about 10 inches above the floor in the gap between the cargo barrier and storage.
For inflation I open the passenger side door and it's right there.
The ARB instructions said that if you intend to run front and rear lockers (one day) then the compressor is best mounted in the middle of the vehicle.
I realise yours is a ute but thought there may be an option to mount it behind your seat somewhere?
Just a thought.

·
Registered
438 Posts
mine is in the engine bay but where the second battery would go....have found it great, i run the air cleaner just poking out of the bonnet which is unecesarry really considering it is only ever on when im stopped with the bonnet up but just piece of mind i spose.

As for you sayign they are too slow for pumping up tyres, im really happy with mine, it will do one 35 from 10psi to 40psi in about 5 minutes....just flies. Only thing that would be quicker for me is endless...

·
Registered
nissan
1,961 Posts
Think your forgetting your not going to have the bonnet shut and have high engine bay temp when stationary pumping up tyres ;)
If you do end up using it to pump tyres, they run much faster with the engine idling. So you will end up stationary with a hot engine running when pumping 4 35's up from 18 - 35 psi.

·
Registered
258 Posts
mines under the bonnet between the aux battery and the firewall. sits next a highmount turbo. i had water flowing over the bonnet in several crossings over new years with the locker on and no dramas. just face the air intake towards the fire wall or if your concerned about it sucking in water extend the intake into the cab.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts