Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all ive had a bad experience with arb and there high output compressor. i purchased it about 4 months ago and it has under half hour run time and the bearings have failed. it is mounted under my tray and i have and external air filter mounted half way up my head board which is roughly 6ft off the ground (truck is 7in lift and 37's) taken the comp off and into arb for inspection to be told just that, that the bearings are stuffed and its because the pump has been running in water.. i explain the truck has had no water usage since fitting and less then half hour run time and the filter arrangment.. shown the original purchase document and told them that if it had run in water i would be chasing rebuild kit at my cost. but in honesty and my explination they still dont want to replace or repair under warrenty. the pump sucks air in dirrectly past the bearings and condensation could easily put small amounts off corrotion or rust there which they aggree but still wont fix.. so not shore if i just have bad luck or a dodgy dealer but i wont be buying any more products from arb when they dont warrent or back up there products.. after looking around and inspecting other comps on the market i have found the arb unit to be a poorly designed unit that i wouldnt recomend, and is desinged so that you carnt replace bearings and that you have to but hole motor units when they fail. i will be taking up my issue higher up with the company and even if i get a replacement or repair it will be going in the cupboard for emergency only...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Just playing devils advocate, do you think water could have got to the intake from rain?
Did you see the bearings? Did they show any signs of corrosion?

·
Registered
nissan
328 Posts
i bought one from repco cost me 110 bucks (yeah kinda cheap) still used it once and the little hook wouldnt stay on the tyre were the picture showed it does, so i took it back and the guy at the store said i abused it..... i owned it for less then an hour -.- biggest waste of money farken.

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
They should replace or repair, it's what the warranty is for. Mine has stopped twice now. Still waiting for parts from ARB but they have always been very helpful and are backing there product with me.

·
Registered
nissan
688 Posts
I have the newer model CKMP12 and its fine, but mine is mounted in a tool box not to the car so Its not exposed to anything. Pumped six tyres up at a time no worries, no slow down. Something must be dodgy.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,141 Posts
I guess you just take it further and join the ever increasing line of people that have had problems with ARB.
All I can say is, I have had two dealings with my local store and both would amaze you.
1st was when I bought my warn winch and the second when I bought the air tank and pressure switch. tank and switch took 6 weeks to come in and only told after i payed for it.
The winch had a bolt missing when I opened the box, no way where they going to give me one without paying for it. I asked how they stayed in business with an attitude like that and was promptly told " we don't need private customers, with all the police and government contracts we have the public is just pocket money"

cheers Shane.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
well i have the big boss air compressor and it is mounted under the winch, it has been under water countless times and still runs fine, although i still need to run a snorkle up high for it so i can leave it on when under water, i got it second hand a few years ago and cant fault it

·
Registered
nissan
60 Posts
If you have 1/2 a good idea about Elec motors they are pretty easy to pull down and replace the bearings.
I just had to rebuild mine 3 weeks ago after a Drowning. ARB said they could get me a new motor for $90 (Which included the upgrade for the piston crank screw)
But after a quick trip to a local bearing supplier got me all 3 bearings for about $25.

back home, change bearings, rebuild, and it runs like new again..........

Gordo

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
I was on a two month waiting list before i recieved my Arb CKMP12 compressor new in late 07 it blew up six months later but ARB replaced it there and then no questions asked.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
So what happened to the OP?
Did he just want a whinge?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts