Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For inflating tyres, I installed an ARB Air Compressor (CKMA12) under the driver's seat (2005 GU ST Auto)...

I picked under the seat for a clean compressor and easy access for tyre inflation. I decided under the bonnet was too dirty and hot and would require popping the bonnet to use. I decided boot mounting was out because I use the third row seats and didn't want luggage hindering compressor access. My initial concerns for the driver's seat install were noise level for vehicle occupants (I have kids who may be sleeping) and heat from the compressor affecting the driver's seat. After testing the pump I decided noise wouldn't be a problem, not sure if the kids would sleep through it but compared to cheap 12v accessory compressors the ARB unit is quiet. After the install I noticed the pump and air tank become quite hot after doing four tyres but the metal plate on the bottom of the seat is still cool to the touch so I don't think heat on the seat will be an issue either.

After trying a few different mounting arrangements I settled on cutting the air vent under the drivers seat and mounting the compressor in the bottom of the hollow there. This makes access from under the car very easy and keeps the compressor as far away from the seat as possible. Once mounted I cut the carpet so it didn't touch the compressor and so I could pull the carpet back without unbolting the compressor.

To get through the firewall I pulled all the trim off the floor from the driver's seat to the accelerator pedal. Then I pulled the carpet back from the accelerator pedal area and then the rubber backed insulation layer. The main wiring loom from the car runs out the fire wall through a rubber funnel that should now be accessible from the cabin side. I couldn't get all the way through the rubbber funnel so I poked a hole through the bottom of the funnel near where it attaches to the firewall.

I fed the four wires from the ARB loom through the firewall from the engine side as per instructions. Then I fed two extra lengths of wire, one for the pressure switch and one for the compressor power.

I connected the extra two wires to the appropriate wires on the ARB loom in the engine bay, lay them down along the floor in the cabin and wired them up to the compressor.

I ran the four wires from the ARB loom along the floor and then up under the driver's seat and into the side of the centre console. There is an existing loom along that path and I followed it. I mounted the switch next to the gear stick (auto) and hooked into the cigarette socket ignition circuit and dash illumination circuit. This was a bit of a round about way of doing it but I didn't want to cut the ARB loom and this way I figure if I do want to lock the diffs I already have the switches wired through the firewall.

All up it went pretty well. I may change the angle of the air fittings on the compressor because at the moment the outlet is a little low and a bit clumsy to get the hose attached. Other than that I am happy. The ARB instructions were very good.

Attachments

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,703 Posts
Nice install and write up mate. Well done. I have been told that if you run your comp in cab and run lockers via it that you should have a breather as oil can somtimes blow back up the comp line and make a mess inside.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
284 Posts
Nice install and write up mate. Well done. I have been told that if you run your comp in cab and run lockers via it that you should have a breather as oil can somtimes blow back up the comp line and make a mess inside.

Cheers
On the end of the locker solenoids is a small stainless mesh filter, unscrew this, put in a pisco - push to fit fitting, and run a line through that bung in the floor, if twin lockers, bring 2 hose 's to a T piece, and run one line out, all exhaust air and oil goes outside.

Cheers :D

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

If I do get lockers I will investigate those options as I don't fancy moving the compressor under the bonnet.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
325 Posts
hi,
I have mine under the passenger seat, just like yours ARB cut away the air con duct and have fitted a hose thru the floor so any oil etc can't enter the car, I just turn on the air con when pumping up tires to help keep compressor cool and so far am quite happy with its performance esp considering I run ' 35's '

·
Registered
nissan patrol
31 Posts
nice one luke. i have done the same install as carwreck under the passenger seat, all is great, had plenty of use out of it too. the heat from the air tank with the a/c on feet didn't get any hotter than after x2 tyres from 18-36psi doing x12 tyres on the weekend which was a concern to me also. from using the old arb unit the past 5/6 years i'm very impressed with how quick it is.... barely have time for a golden coldie before it's time to take off again.

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the heat from the air tank with the a/c on feet didn't get any hotter than after x2 tyres from 18-36psi doing x12 tyres on the weekend
Good to hear. I gave the compressor it's first real run on the weekend, pulled up near a guy pumping his tyres with the bonnet up and compressor alligator clipped to the battery. I pumped up all four tyres (18 - 32 psi) and was off again before he even finished the one he was on when I pulled up :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi there

I will need to invest in one of these beauties too, as my current compressor is losing performance. It took ages to go from 12psi to 38psi on the weekend, coming off Stockton.

I have actually been thinking of putting a regulator in the line after the compressor, you then set the regulator for the desired air pressure, and when the compressor cuts out, you're there. I think it could be a great idea. Further R&D to follow

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
1,925 Posts
sorry to ask a dump question: how much current does it take? can i just connect the pump to the cigarette socket?

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry to ask a dump question: how much current does it take? can i just connect the pump to the cigarette socket?
The in-line fuse is rated at 40 amps so I would only use wire/plugs that can handle more current than that. A cigarette socket won't handle it (10 amp fuse I think).

I used 5 mm wire for power to the compressor. On the compressor end I used a 100 amp plug from an electric radio control car (easy to solder, lightweight, compact, high current and vibration resistant :)). Neither the wire or the plug become warm after filling 4 tyres so I think they are suitable.

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Goof write-up. Looking to install mine on the weekend under the seat also.
Can anybody tell me where you purchased or name of air fitting that allows a quick coupling and pressure switch as seen in pics above?
Cheers

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,674 Posts
Those ones are standard ARB ones that come with the compressor. You can get similar ones from Pirtek or most hydraulic and pneumatic shops or tool shops that sell compressors.

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Those ones are standard ARB ones that come with the compressor. You can get similar ones from Pirtek or most hydraulic and pneumatic shops or tool shops that sell compressors.
Hmmm...didn't come with mine? Recently purchased, new. Best check the parts list.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,674 Posts
I had my compressor come in a box with the fittings and a hose with a fitting for pumping up tyres.

·
Registered
nissan
436 Posts
The air fitting come with the tyre pumping kit not with the comp. I got caught like that and had to buy mine seperately as I had left my old comp in a rig that I had sold. Check what fittings they are as I don't think they are a well known type.
I'm actually going to run a line front and rear from my under seat setup in my GQ.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts