Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Recently bought a GU Ute like every other person on here and have managed to get off my bum and research the air compressor that is mounted under the bonnet, as the bloke i bought it off couldn't tell me much, and have found that it is supposed to be able to run one or two air lockers.

Im new to 4WD, so what i want to know is, (and yes i have searched before posting), can it be used for tyre inflation or am i better to upgrade for this purpose? Also, air lockers is on the list of mods in the next 6 Months, so, is it worth hanging onto and using the air compressor for both ends when i get lockers, and just putting a Nitto Air Fitting on for inflating tyres aswell?

Also short reviews on the unit would be much appreciated by previous/current owners.

For Those unsure, heres the unit:

Cheers!

·
Registered
227 Posts
that one there is for the lockers only, they do have a newer version that can do tyres as well as lockers. I have one but not sure of the part number, its the high flow version.

I'd go with the newer model.

ash

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
The model you have is the old model ARB compressor, which used to be the only ARB compressor you could buy, and was used for air lockers and tyres inflation. Whilst it isn't the fastest compressor around now, it is still a good compressor. If you have the coin to throw around then by all means get rid of it and buy one of the new ARB compressors, but if money is a bit tight, then keep it and use it, it'll do the job.

I've got one of the new high volume compressors (CKMA12) running an air locker now, but I still have the old compressor mounted in the back of the wagon as a backup.

Below is some of the specs for the new ARB compressors, and here is a link to some info on your RDCKA. As you can see the air flow from the new ones are about twice the old ones. 61.1 ltr/min -v- 26.4 ltr/min under load.
http://www.arb.com.au/media/products/air-lockers/3-01.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
2,029 Posts
i use that compressor to change pressures in my 37" tyres between 8PSI and 20PSI, it does it no worries as long as your not in a hurry

·
Registered
nissan
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Impossible1, i saw that .PDF aswell, which helps because i can now order the replacement o-rings and seals because they are absolutely cactus, i assumed the unit hasnt been serviced since new. I might setup a splitter off the air connection and leave one point disconnected for the locker that i dont yet have, and run a small line down to just behind the cabin (ute) for the tyres.

·
Registered
Nissan
5 Posts
A really good .pdf - I printed it just to make sure I always have it as a backup for suitable air compressor rentals. You never know when you need information like that. How easily can I change pressures in my tyres? I have never done that before and I wonder if I should get it done or should try it myself?

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Id get a Boss PX07 3/4hp for pumping tires.

Brilliant piece of gear :)

·
Registered
Nissan
1,865 Posts
I would use that unit for lockers and yes it will do both
And buy a separate compressor in a portable case for tyres. That way it is mobile if u want to use it somewhere else etc and if it fails u can still put an air fitting on the on board one for emergencys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts