Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a GQ patrol with an ARB bar on it and as I'm sure a lot of you know it's nigh on impossible to find a used winch bar for a GQ.

Apparently it is possible to do a conversion on a bar if you strengthen the mounting points and fairlead points ect. but has anyone ever actually done this? If so how much did it cost you? I've never welded in my life so doing it myself wouldn't be an option

Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
274 Posts
I read somewhere you can get a winch cradle from tjm which mounts to the cassis. then cut out the top of your bar and front for winch opening and put the bar back on as per normal.

I have a GQ with an arb bar like yours also so I'm keen to hear other thoughts

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
There is two types of ARB non winch bars. There is a model that mounts traditionally like the winch bar and goes around the chassis rails and there is a model which mounts inside the chassis rails. The model which goes around the rails is best suited to make into a winch bar as the mounting is nearly the same as the winch bar. The other style which goes into the rails will need to be boxed out so the winch will fit but if you end up bending the bar they are near impossible to remove from the rails.

Basically you want to weld a 8mm plate across the whole center of the bar for the winch to sit on then cut out the fairlead hole. You probably want to keep as much of the top center of the bar for strength but will have to cut some away for the winch controls to fit. Try to keep the folded part as it add a lot of strength.

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Good point Simmo, I have the in chassis style mounting and was going to do what Charlie is thinking,
Now with the bending comments I think it will be a full custom and sell the ARB

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,571 Posts
Good point Simmo, I have the in chassis style mounting and was going to do what Charlie is thinking,
Now with the bending comments I think it will be a full custom and sell the ARB
For a man of your talents it wouldn't be too hard to modify the mounts? ;-)

If you decide to keep this bar, I am 80% sure I have some laser cut sections 5mm plate (existing bar is 3, so total 8) of winch cut outs and mounting holes, I can try to hunt you one down to weld inside and just cut out the section to match, hope that makes sense. Once upon a year we used to make our own bullbars at work.

Let me know I'll have a good hunt.

Reactions: madk1w1

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Yeah cheers Lee, I have one I was drawing up with better approach angle across full width of bar so be thinking I go the full custom, can plasma cut what I need, just picked up a Thomas winch for $50 will check it out next week when I get home apparently was working, got it from a older bloke who was selling for his mum was out of his Dads cruiser so fingers crossed not to much work. Fluck that was long winded hahhahha
The main point I was taking from this thread was the bending a bar with internal mounted bullbar could be a bad idea, will just fab up a good wrap around multi point set up

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow thanks heaps Simmo, I just had a look under the old girl and I've got the around the chassis mounts so I guess it should be okay to go and get it converted.
Does anyone here know a good place in Melbourne to get it done and roughly how much they'd charge?

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
The other option is to use a winch cradle and manufacture brackets to mount on the chassis.

I used a tiger z winch cradle mounted between the rails - had some 10 mm right angle brackets made that where welded / bolted to the rear of the cradle. the winch was mounted just behind the bar

The cradle / brackets took the strain.

I then modified the alloy bar yo suit - slotted the top of the bar and the front of the bar for the fairligh

I have recently replaced the bar - as I picked up a ARB winch bar for $50, and sold the old bar and cradle for $150

Another option that I have sen plans for on the net.

Make a "u" bracket out of 8 mm or thick steel - mod the winch so that the cable comes out between the mounting points. Mount the winch to the bottom of the U - the two wings bot to the chassis rail. The existing bar is then bold to the U and chassis rails.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
all you guys saying you cant find second hand bars makes me happy ill be selling one in a month or 2 hope it goes quick

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
its an arb high mount winch bar and i have arb brush rails for it was gunna put 700ish on it could do with a re paint im in albury

1 - 15 of 15 Posts