Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G,day.Is anyone running TJM lockers who have previously had ARB ones.My Questions are .Are they better or worse.Do they have any dramas with them -like diff oil coming up the lines,air lines cracking and so forth.Cheers in advance

·
Registered
Nissan
314 Posts
airlines are fragile, no matter bein ARB or TJM.
ARB has drama's with their o-rings (if not properly installed!)
TJM had some issues with the actuator but has been sorted.
they both are a good locker.
the ARB one pushes back oil through the lines when leakin.
TJM ones only leaks air (from breather) when actuator seal craps itself.

go for the best deal i'd say.

·
Registered
nissan
804 Posts
i had a arb air locker in the rear of my navara and put a front one in my patrol in november.
my opionon arb is tried and tested. what do comp trucks use? ARB.
4wd action just use who pays the most to put it in there trucks

·
Registered
192 Posts
i had a arb air locker in the rear of my navara and put a front one in my patrol in november.
my opionon arb is tried and tested. what do comp trucks use? ARB.
4wd action just use who pays the most to put it in there trucks
I have been pricing lockers up, the arb seem a bit cheaper
Geoff

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
check Eaton electronic lockers. . . i pulled one apart the other day on a bench. . . seem very sturdy and simply made. . . . $2000 is a bit steep tho.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might just go with the ARB again .This time i'll put the compressor in the engine bay as last time i had oil spew all over the carpet.Cheers guys

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Been using ARB lockers since 2000, professionally installed by accredited workshop.
No issues whatsoever in that time with either lockers or compressor!

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
check Eaton electronic lockers. . . i pulled one apart the other day on a bench. . . seem very sturdy and simply made. . . . $2000 is a bit steep tho.
when you factor in service costs of the ARB locker and the potential seal replacements they can need once they're out of warranty the extra cash on the electric locker makes ALOT of sense.;)

but from most accounts, the current generation of ARB lockers are probably their best and also probably the strongest.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
Might just go with the ARB again .This time i'll put the compressor in the engine bay as last time i had oil spew all over the carpet.Cheers guys
Dam i wanted to move the compressor for my lockers from the hot engine bay to under the seat because it gets so hot you nearly need gloves when you connect the air hose. Mine used to leak a bit of oil a few years back but it seems to be good now days. I'll stick with the hot and pass on the oily carpet though

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
Answered the question I was going to ask. A bit academic as noone sells Eaton electric lockers where I live, but still, a boy can dream.

·
Registered
nissan
804 Posts
2 grand for a eaton locker wow rip off.
i got a front arb airlocker with bigger compressor and tyre inflation kit for $2130

·
Registered
nissan
804 Posts
i had my rear locker in my navara for 2 years and i never had a problem with seals or oil in the lines, and that was a fair few trips to cruiser park and it did cape york.
i also had a front Lokka and my personal choice over all is arb.
and im not the kinda guy to get a car and put an arb catalogue cause i think that is gay.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
2 grand for a eaton locker wow rip off.
i got a front arb airlocker with bigger compressor and tyre inflation kit for $2130
that is not exactly a good deal.

the tyre inflation kit is worth about $3 in parts and the larger air compressor is worth maybe $30 out of china.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
OOOOh feel the burn!

I want a lecky locker. Less **** to go wrong.

·
Registered
nissan
804 Posts
im pritty sure the onlyt way your gonna get the parts for a tyre inflation kit for 3 dollars earns you a couple of years behind bars.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have had an ARB locker in the back of my HJ47 troopy since Easter 1999 , still going strong aswell as the original compressor. Just had to replace pressure switch thats it. No leaks or other faults so far.

·
Registered
nissan
56 Posts
This is where i put mine, as later i wanted to put in a third Bty next to it, one on the drivers side and two on the other side... with the compressor between the two. It works well and had no problems during the cape york trip last year. yes it is next to the turbo but still no problems. see pic

P5240079.jpg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts