Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gu dx
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone im new to the forum and to the whole 4x4 scene I just bought a 2002 gu 3lt 2"lift sidesteps custom draws winch and was wanting some advise, are the 33's and the 2"lift a good combo for my truck? ATM Iv just got the standard rims and tyres and was going for my first offroad trip in a couple of weeks and don't wana get laughed at for falling behind if u know what I mean:) any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Mate, don't get suckered into thinking you need a million bucks worth of accessories to get out there and have a ball. Most tracks in Australia can be run with 33" muddies and a moderate lift like yours. It's just the hardcore tracks that require all the fruit. Feel your way until your confidence builds, and then and only then decide if you want/need to take it further. Biggest mistake is to load stuff onto your truck because you might need it one day. Let experience tell you what you need, not your mates.
P.S. Been doing this s&#t for 39 years.

·
Registered
nissan
303 Posts
33" wheels and 2" lift is apparently the best setup according to A4WDA. Take it as you will tho. I run 2" lift and 33" BFG Muds on my GQ, and she goes awesome. Wouldn't go any bigger on lift or tyres unless I go a turbo. And wouldn't want to use it as my daily!

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
Yes 2" lift and 33s (mine are 285/75x16" which is about 33") are great for most places you will ever take your Patrol.

But also search some of the topics on Power and 33" tyres. You do change the gearing with bigger tyres and it feels like you have lost a bit of power. Worse with bigger tyres so 33" are a good compromise.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gu dx
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I do put on the 33"s and notice power loss what are some things I can do to to make it run better for say under 5 grand as I also need to tow a 5.8mtr boat...

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
keep the stocko tyres and rims for towing

·
Registered
nissan
1,175 Posts
If you are new to the whole 4x4 thing, i think you may be quite surprised at what even a 100% standard GU will get you through !

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Mate, don't get suckered into thinking you need a million bucks worth of accessories to get out there and have a ball. Most tracks in Australia can be run with 33" muddies and a moderate lift like yours. It's just the hardcore tracks that require all the fruit. Feel your way until your confidence builds, and then and only then decide if you want/need to take it further. Biggest mistake is to load stuff onto your truck because you might need it one day. Let experience tell you what you need, not your mates.
That's the most sensible answer I've seen on this forum for a while. Great Answer slowzuki.

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Thats what I have on mine, I did the lift because I needed new shocks and the 33s cos I needed new tyres, I went down to a 15" rim to get a bigger sidewall mainly for looks but I can tell you it has made the car much better to drive with no noticeable power loss.

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
If I do put on the 33"s and notice power loss what are some things I can do to to make it run better for say under 5 grand as I also need to tow a 5.8mtr boat...
If you are going to be towing a big heavy boat, then as some others have said:
dont stick too much other stuff on your truck till you have really had time to get used to it and taken it off road (you might be suprised)
and keep the standard tyres for towing

For power upgrades without blowing your motor:
start with a better exhaust and performance chip and fit a temperature pyro into the dump pipe to monitor EGT so you are not cooking it when towing under heavy load for long distance is what kills these things.
next would be a boost gauge and possibly a Dawes valve if the boost is going too high.
Then better intercooler and bonnet scoop etc etc

So you can see that really it would be good to keep it standard for a while maybee the exhaust and EGT are a good safety feature to keep it running

and read the ZD30 reference information document on this site, it has heaps of great information.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/niss...ference-document-zd30-owners-look-here-31418/

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have a stock as a rock GU and even after owning various 4x4s in the last 25 years, i am still having a ball.

·
Registered
nissan
1,174 Posts
x2
It is best to become a great driver by using your setup without a crazy lift or ridiculous tires so you can get to know your patrol's limits. You can then figure out what it needs and more importantly what it doesn't need. It's how you drive not what you drive that counts.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hi Shogun,

2" lift - yes. I'd definitely recommend a 2" lift. A good set up will have better ride and handling plus the truck looks much better in my opinion.

33 tires - maybe. I've been driving my GU with stock tires for a few years now. They are nearly worn out but i've never had any issues on the beach or bush tracks pre or post lokka. I'm a big believer in the right tire pressure for the conditions and will drop them down to 24 psi on tracks and 16psi on the beach. I tend to avoid the deep mud, but more because of the problems mud causes in the engine bay than for fear of getting stuck.

I want to stay close to the current on road drive-ability (Acceleration/Breaking) and maintain close to current fuel economy and egts. I also want to tow a camper trailer. So I'm planning to commit heresy by fitting 32" tires, something like LT265/75R16. (31.8") These are marginally bigger (1.8% of dia.) than the stock tire size (a fair bit bigger than the current state of my worn out stock). I still think i'll notice the increase.

The difference between a 32" and a 33" will reduce clearance obviously by 1/2 " or so and approach/departure/ramp-over angles will also be reduced but only marginally.

In your position I'd drive the truck as is for a while. It is a very capable vehicle in stock condition and will surprise the novice 4wder what it can handle with ease. You might find the truck handles the conditions, you are in, fine and you can invest more in other areas of the vehicle.

Grogey

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
3" exhaust with freeflow muffler and then a DP chip.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gu dx
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey slowzuki you obviously know your stuff And with almost 40 years experience I can see why. I was also thinking the 3" and a chip Iv heard the dp is a good chip but Iv also heard the chip-it is good and a lot more settings have you herd of the chip-it if so what do you think of it. Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Bigger everything

Shogun

Just remember the bigger you go the more strain you put on everything.
Interesting flyer that the pink road house has if you are ever out in the real bush.
I recently went there and the flyer states the you should leave the big lift kits at home as the most desert recoveries are because of failed suspension. I have a stock patrol and I will chicken out before the ute will . Dam thing scares me sometimes GO SLOW Drive to the conditions with the right tyre pressure. Just remember pressure - pressure - pressure. OH and a good compresser
Redback

·
Resident Social Democrat
6,258 Posts
Hi shogun

Welcome to this very knowledgable and very helpful forum. Also welcome to the world of 4wd'ing and Patrol ownership!!

A 2" lift and 33" tyres is a GREAT start! Just go out, have some fun, learn the basics and build on those skills.

Most importantly, take your time and THINK about additions to the vehicle, as others have said.

·
Registered
241 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum!! ;) Ultimately, it all depends on what you want to do with your patrol. That is perfect for a daily and a good tourer that will be plenty capable for alot of stuff etc.. Then you have other people that want something specifically for offroad and to attempt the hardest extreme stuff out there in which you would struggle and damage your vehicle.

There is no "what is the best" There is only what is best for me. ;) It annoys me when people Generalize on these things..

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi there

I concur with the above, having driven my Patrol for over 2 years on stock (read sagged) suspension. I spent a lot of time driving the vehicle with standard suspension, and have recently gone to 2" and 33's on the rig. I'm yet to try them in anger, but was on a mates property on the weekend and found that it was flexing well over the few obstacles that I came across. True test will be next weekend on the club land.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts