Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys just wondering if anyone has any problems running 37's for play tyres on a stock zd30 engine ??

the trucks got a 5 inch lift so shouldn't have to many issues with scrubbing, but i've been told the poor little zd can't push the big tyres to well off road, ive just finished with a set of 35's and they wont to bad but would like to jump up a couple of inches

cheers luke

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
I would look at some reduction gears if you dont have em, or diff gears.

Stock without any change to your gearing it will struggle, I run 35's on my ZD30 with a few mods exhaust, chip, bigger intercooler and now reduction gears....... without the reduction gears I had to ride the clutch far too much on steep inclines and on step ups. 37's would be worse particularly on a stock ZD.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey polar bear

yeah ive got a set of 85% reduction gears in the auto already and the diff gears are just the standard 4.3's. it was fine with the 35's but i don't wont to wast my money on a new set of 37's if there just going to be impossible to turn in the ruff stuff

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
With 85% reduction and 37's you shouldn't have any problem in the rough stuff. ( tractor time)

Obviously when in 2wd or 4H you will still notice a difference ie: loss of power but as long as you are not towing anthing heavy you will probably find you can live with it.

Could be worth investing in a chip and zorst to get some power back later on.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,957 Posts
stock gearing, stock diffs, stock motor, stock cooler, and 37's?? -yeah, you should be fine

EDIT: . . . soz, i thought we were talking about a td42.;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah im looking at getting a chip and exhaust in the new year some time.

now just got to decide between treps or claws, ive got claws at the moment but i love the look of the treps haha

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
yeah im looking at getting a chip and exhaust in the new year some time.

now just got to decide between treps or claws, ive got claws at the moment but i love the look of the treps haha
go the treps... had claws but now have treps. would never use claws again. you just have to get used to them as they grip awesome. no more jump flat to the boards and spin the wheels just cruise up slow,let em grip and crawl over it.... yours would be nice in an auto and reduction gears.

·
Registered
Nissan
255 Posts
wouldnt bother..i got 33"s and wouldnt put any bigger on a zd30

·
Registered
nissan
57 Posts
my zd30 was origenaly with 4.1 diff and put simex 36'on, on the highway, wind on the head, in fifth gear it was dead. When i changed to 5, I could just hold it at the rpm's. Now I changed to 4.6 diff, and it goes very good now. It runs like on the small tyres. That was before i did changes at the engine.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
After going for a nice drive into nsw I found that 35's on a stock drive line was fine until long steep hills come into the picture... Pushed egt's up into the high 600's... And overtaking was not as openly possible as when I had 33's on... But round the city it's not a problem at all... 37's would be crap...
Oh and with 35's it's unstoppable in mud :cool:

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
Guys .... He ( original poster ) asked about 37's as " play tyres " I assume meaning- put them on play in mud come home take them off. If they are play tyres and he has reduction gears he should have no problem at all.

Using 37's on a ZD30 as a daily driver or tourer is a different story ..... Unless he stays in low range.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys

i only really want these tyres for weekend work, you no drive somewhere have a play in the mud rocks or whatever and then head home and take them off, not interested in leaving these on all the time, ive just gone through a set of 35" claws and seen first hand what they do to fuel economy hahaha.

i no most of you seem to like 33's or maybe 35's but i just want some opinions on the next step up. we all no there are tracks we would like to head up or down but don't because of diff clearance and other issues, would be good to just be able to give it ago

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
FWIW, on the dyno I lost 20kw and 100mn going from 265 to 285s.. (31-33)
The added stress on your clutch will be wonderful.

·
Registered
nissan
57 Posts
I don't know , but if you don't have reduction gears and when you put it in low range, maybe second gear will be most of the time too big, that's for the longer hills, then you've got to take first all the time. Me, with the 4.6 diff's, I can take of in second gear at steap hills, it's faster and you get higher before you 'll need to use the winch. I should not buy 37", the performance is gone, when you can only use first all the time
Greetings

1 - 17 of 17 Posts