Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the GQ/GU 2.8 gearbox the same and will i be able to install a GQ gearbox into my GU Patrol.
I have found one for sale second hand (cheap) which would allow me to overhaul it and install which should limit the time the patrol is off the road.

I believe the gearbox is out of a RD30 which i think is the 3 litre petrol engine

·
Registered
247 Posts
Camo i too am watching this post with a lot of interest.
Keep us informed of the info you find out mate

·
Registered
475 Posts
I believe they are the same (FS5R30A)

:cheers:

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
The RD28 boxes in the GQ and GU will be interchangeable, they have a larger/longer flywheel than the RB30 and have a longer bell housing as a result to accomodate it. This is why to fit a RB25 to a RD28 you need to use either the original flywheel, an aftermarket solid or get a custom one made.

As far as Im aware they all are indeed FS5R30s.

The transfer levers I believe are in a different place on the GU vs GQs though.

The RBs will probably have different length prop shafts to account for the different length gearbox.

In short, find a GU 2.8 gearbox.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Benno
I might just put a bearing kit through the one i have in the Patrol at the moment. I just thought if i could find a cheap one i could overhaul it before putting the Patrol off the road for any length of time.

·
Registered
nissan patrol y61 2.8
48 Posts
transfers are in the same place

the bellhousing on gu's are bigger as there is a spacer plate bonded onto the end of bellhousing to accomodate the dual mass flywheel. you can remove this and fit the gq flywheel thus eliminating the dmf problem.

Are the props the same?

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Sorry to hijack but I have a gq rd28 gbox transfer and safari clutch for sale if anyone interested

cheers

·
Registered
nissan
461 Posts
The RD28 boxes in the GQ and GU will be interchangeable, they have a larger/longer flywheel than the RB30 and have a longer bell housing as a result to accomodate it. This is why to fit a RB25 to a RD28 you need to use either the original flywheel, an aftermarket solid or get a custom one made.

As far as Im aware they all are indeed FS5R30s.

The transfer levers I believe are in a different place on the GU vs GQs though.

The RBs will probably have different length prop shafts to account for the different length gearbox.

In short, find a GU 2.8 gearbox.

I have the GQ RD2.8 box in my GQ behind the RB30. Straight swap in out. GQ to GU were different in length.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I am pretty sure the shifter position in the GQ / GU are different. I agree with benno, save the hassle and get one for a GU.
Has your gearbox died?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no is hasn't died but ever now and again we are having a lot of trouble getting the thing into first gear.
You will pull up at a set of lights and first just wont engage. Most of the other gears will go in and if you clutch the thing a couple of times and selectg different gears it will engage.
I am not 100% convinced that it is the gearbox at this stage as i think it might be the sleeve that goes over the input shaft.
We were having this trouble (a lot worse) before i put the new clutch in last year and what i found out when i removed the box was that the aluminium sleeve that goes over the input shaft had worn to the point that the clutch fork was getting caught every now and again stoping the clutch moving its full travel.
To slove the problem i removed the small sholder that had worn on the aluminium sleeve and all seemed to be ok. I am thinking that the wear might have returned and every now and agan the clutch is not completing it full travel.
You can drive days without an issue then it will play up for a couple of stops and come good again.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
glad to hear i am not the only one with this trouble. Was there a point when you first noticed it. Was it around the same time you clutch was replaced or was it doing it prior?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts