Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in the Opposite Lock sidesteps, but the store had none in stock, all I have is the Catalogue which is next to useless for info on them!
I would like to know the pipe diameter, wall thickness and how many mounting points it has.
So, if anyone use this sidestep I do like to know if your happy with them, or if you would recomment other steps.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
$949 for hardened butter wrapped in bit of tin foil - but they are 'side steps', not rock sliders.

Are you wanting side steps or rock sliders?

·
Registered
nissan
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$949 for hardened butter wrapped in bit of tin foil - but they are 'side steps', not rock sliders.

Are you wanting side steps or rock sliders?
Well do you own one????
I like to hear first hand experiance, not hearsay!

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
I'm not sure if you are after side steps or proper rock sliders.

In any case, I'll refer to rock sliders.
As an example, Cheezy racing make a great rock slider which are reasonably priced.
Dont bother with the sleeve/u-bolt type of mounting (inferior strength), you want them welded to the chassis in at least 3 points.

Regarding the welding - on each chassis rail, most places weld three 10mm thick square plates (which have 4 die tapped / threaded holes). The rock sliders have mounting plates which them line up with the 4 holes on the die tapped plate (which have been welded to the chassis) and then 4 bolts go in on each plate to affix the slider to the chassis rail.

This generally works pretty well. The only concern I have is if under stress, a thread is pulled on one (or more) of the die taps. The only way to properly fix it is to then cut the problematic mount plate off and replace - a pretty ugly job to do.

Most installers will argue that they have never had a thread being pulled, which is fair enough. But that is because the associated sliders were not gusseted between the mount tube and their mounting plate. Hence, under stress the slider mount arm will strain against its mounting plate, rather than pull the mount thread.

If the sliders were gusseted between the mount arm and their plate, then i would expect that such reinforcement would transfer stress to the the die tap and the thread would go.
It just means if you opt to get the sliders gusseted on the mount arm/tube and its mount plate, you should look at another way to mount them to the chassis rail apart from using the die tapped square plate.

·
Registered
nissan
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jim, I am after strong steel steps not sliders. I am not into hardcore stuff, but I need some underneath protection.
I had a quote for $650 fitted, for OL sidesteps! that is not a bad price but I wondered about the quality, if they are not consideribly better than the Nissan steps it is wasted money.

·
Registered
nissan gu iv
3 Posts
the ol side steps /sliders are a far cry from the nissan alloy steps , they wont be as strong as sliders but they will still save your sills in most cases they are 3.5mm steel tube that does clamp around the chassis, hope this helps / where are u located

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
if you are after sill protection, then go sliders. They are a bit more than 'steps' but they will also do more.

I have ARB sidesteps, they didnt protect ****. Car goes to panelbeater on the 7th.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
I think my sidesteps are from OL but not sure because my brother gave them to me off his written off GU. They are definitely better than the flimsy factory ones and can take the odd knock here and there but i wouldn't recommend them for anything to hardcore also the mounting system is a simple bolt up job so no welding needed the only problem there is the way the front mount is set up it hangs below the chassis rail as seen in the last photo and can hang you up sometimes.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the ol side steps /sliders are a far cry from the nissan alloy steps , they wont be as strong as sliders but they will still save your sills in most cases they are 3.5mm steel tube that does clamp around the chassis, hope this helps / where are u located
Hi, thanks for your reply, I am in Sydney.

·
Registered
nissan
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think my sidesteps are from OL but not sure because my brother gave them to me off his written off GU. They are definitely better than the flimsy factory ones and can take the odd knock here and there but i wouldn't recommend them for anything to hardcore also the mounting system is a simple bolt up job so no welding needed the only problem there is the way the front mount is set up it hangs below the chassis rail as seen in the last photo and can hang you up sometimes.
Thanks smokescreen that is really helpfull, it is indeed reducing ground clearance.
There is a mob selling steps on ebayNissan Patrol GU Side Steps - Steel Steps 1997 - 2004 (eBay item 180630026812 end time 04-Mar-11 16:11:52 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats
it looks ok but does'nt tell anything about wall thickness etc.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
The tube on my sidesteps measures 50mm in diameter but i don't have a vernier to measure the exact thickness but its roughly 3mm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts