Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,

Wondering if you know of areas that are somewhat notoriously known to be unsafe for camping out bush?

Particularly in NSW but all of Aus all the same

Safety Concerns could be due to animals, plant species or locals... if there are any please post

Thanks,
Bougzy
GU3 MY02

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,297 Posts
Be wary in crocodile areas.

Reactions: Foo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be wary in crocodile areas.
yeah? crocs huh. ill do some research on where they generally are in NSW, thanks for the reply mate. are they generally scattered all over where ever there is waterholes?

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,297 Posts
Not many in nsw but be careful in Qld and northern wa.

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,610 Posts
yeah? crocs huh. ill do some research on where they generally are in NSW, thanks for the reply mate. are they generally scattered all over where ever there is waterholes?
You said Aus as well!

Foo

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
11,030 Posts
fraser island has the man eating dingos so got to be careful there.

really speaking camping anywhere in australia is dangerous. with 10 metres there is always 7 different things that can kill you. but dont let that scare you off to much. most are scared of you but will strike if provoked.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,678 Posts

really speaking camping anywhere in australia is dangerous. with 10 metres there is always 7 different things that can kill you. but dont let that scare you off to much. most are scared of you but will strike if provoked.
Is that for real about the Dingo's on Fraser Is?.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You said Aus as well!

Foo

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
I certainly did, living in Sydney, I figure I’de need to get through NSW bush first. But certainly interested to know bout all of Aus 🙂 NSW only goes so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Right, man eating dingos - Fraser Island, check. Shall I place these beside the drop bears on my notepad.. 😁

Yeah true, we in Aus tend to one up other parts of the world by adding extra venom until eventually all others fold... She'll be right, a bit of aerogard will do the trick 😆

But those crocs though 🤔

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sydney, huh? Well, don’t go camping at Redfern then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nothin wrong with Redfern mate.. Few hoodies here and there but not all that bad.

No different to some other suburbs in Syd

Wouldn't find space for camping anyway, all the good spots are taken

·
Registered
nissan
6,504 Posts
Right, man eating dingos - Fraser Island, check. Shall I place these beside the drop bears on my notepad.. 😁
Don't under rate dingoes, particularly if there is a few of them. One of them is a serious risk to a child and can even be a threat to a small adult. Boy bitten on face, mother attacked by dingo on Fraser Island

Several dingoes in a group would have me keeping something I can use as a club within arm's length. Fortunately the three main camp areas on Fraser have dingo proof enclosures around them.

Stay out of the water in North Queensland, the Northern Territory and the Kimberly unless you know it's safe. Not only are there crocs to worry about but also marine stingers that can kill. I've heard of several people surviving shark attacks but only one surviving a croc attack and he lost his arm.

Snakes can be a problem anywhere but are normally pretty shy unless you hassle them. Learn snake bite first aid and keep a snake bite bandage in the door pocket of the car.

Edit: One more point, don't camp within 50m of a waterway known to have crocs unless you are up off the ground in an RTT or camper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great Advi
Don't under rate dingoes, particularly if there is a few of them. One of them is a serious risk to a child and can even be a threat to a small adult. Boy bitten on face, mother attacked by dingo on Fraser Island

Several dingoes in a group would have me keeping something I can use as a club within arm's length. Fortunately the three main camp areas on Fraser have dingo proof enclosures around them.

Stay out of the water in North Queensland, the Northern Territory and the Kimberly unless you know it's safe. Not only are there crocs to worry about but also marine stingers that can kill. I've heard of several people surviving shark attacks but only one surviving a croc attack and he lost his arm.

Snakes can be a problem anywhere but are normally pretty shy unless you hassle them. Learn snake bite first aid and keep a snake bite bandage in the door pocket of the car.
Great Advice!

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,518 Posts
I can vouch for the dingo problem on Fraser. I have had them stalk me while fishing, and my cousin and I rescued a woman from two dogs one arvo. They were circling her, and herding her into the water. She was very frightened. Do not take them lightly.

I am always more wary of people rather than animals though.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I certainly did, living in Sydney, I figure I’de need to get through NSW bush first. But certainly interested to know bout all of Aus 🙂 NSW only goes so far.
Apparently it goes as far as Fraser Island. that's why everyone wants to leave NSW, even the earth can't stand being there for too long.

If you are a camping virgin then try starting with some of the better known destinations first then venture out from there. Any of the well known iconic destinations will be fine. Unless you start going alone to bottom intercourse nowhere you don't really have much to worry about.

Reactions: Bougzy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can vouch for the dingo problem on Fraser. I have had them stalk me while fishing, and my cousin and I rescued a woman from two dogs one arvo. They were circling her, and herding her into the water. She was very frightened. Do not take them lightly.

I am always more wary of people rather than animals though.
Thanks I certainly wouldn't take them lightly. I'm often cautious and reserved naturally and certainly wouldn't underestimate even the neighbour's dog. This is good, glad I've asked you lot with experience as yes I haven't been camping since my school days so I'm just going to go ahead and accept the virgin comment as someone has mentioned. Hence why I have been on patrol 4x4 scoping around the landscape soaking up the knowledge 👍

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Apparently it goes as far as Fraser Island. that's why everyone wants to leave NSW, even the earth can't stand being there for too long.

If you are a camping virgin then try starting with some of the better known destinations first then venture out from there. Any of the well known iconic destinations will be fine. Unless you start going alone to bottom intercourse nowhere you don't really have much to worry about.
Too right, many places to venture close by to syd before I go out into the outer reaches.
I figured ide ask once and ask all in terms of safety for Aus. But certainly not going to get ahead of myself. Plenty to see in NSW before I venture into ”bottom intercourse nowhere”. Must be an interesting place that. 😁

In any case, still a while yet before we get our freedom back under the circumstances..

On a different note,
to everyone participating in the thread i’ll go ahead and say G’day and let all know I'm new to all things camping and 4x4 but feel I'm in the right place to gain traction in the lifestyle. have done enough research on 4x4’s to settle on the patrol over and above all else. (I think what hooked me in the end was all those damn videos on the damn flex.)

Back to the thread, I guess the take aways are
1. Snake first aid kit
2. Be wary of crocs, stingers and dingos
3. Stick to the iconic trails and tracks first and continue to research and put safety first in any camping venture

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sometimes the most dangerous stuff is the smallest.
Mozzies can carry Ross river Virus anywhere on the east coast where there is swampy areas.
Ticks won't kill you , but Lymes disease and an inability to tolerate red meat can come from ticks.
Lyssavirus from flying foxes in Qld - bloody terrible way to go.
You know about the spiders - but funnelwebs are pretty rarely seen, and trapdoors are usually quite docile unless hassled.
Bathurst Burrs or Cat heads are just a pain, and end up everywhere.
Bull routs in the NSW northern rivers will give you pain you'll never forget.
Stinging trees in the eastern rainforests have been known to make people pass out due to the pain.

Crocs, sharks, snakes, ........... pah !........ at least they're either big enough to fight or a quick way to go.

Humans are the top predator - especially city dwellers.

Reactions: Bougzy

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Often referred to as Gympie!! :ROFLMAO::sneaky:
Ouch! Now that hurts I thought we were pals. Plus I thought everyone thought Gympie was a cool place. Lets face it it was the town that saved Qld. At least that's what it says on the tourist sign.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts