Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Another thing is to make sure you carry enough medication with you if you end up stranded somewhere (if you are on medications). If you have allergies... an EpiPen is good backup.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,885 Posts
On Graffe's note of being stranded: Water...... the human body may require between 2 and 4L per day depending on gender so if you are out the back somewhere and something untoward happens you need to be aware of this. The second thing is if you break down and can't get your vehicle going, think very very carefully before leaving the vehicle, most deaths occur when people leave the vehicle behind, there was a significant example of this last year where 3 people died from doing this, their car was found before they were.

As someone who has done a lot of driving in the outback (as have many of our members) planning is the key, the longest 'single' trip I have done was 16000 up to and around the Kimberley and back, and it can be very desolate, I remember one rough stretch up there driving for 3 days and not seeing another vehicle or person.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,518 Posts
Ouch! Now that hurts I thought we were pals. Plus I thought everyone thought Gympie was a cool place. Lets face it it was the town that saved Qld. At least that's what it says on the tourist sign.
I know Gympie well, as I grew up at Pomona, and dad worked in Gympie for many years. Not a bad spot at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
On Graffe's note of being stranded: Water...... the human body may require between 2 and 4L per day depending on gender so if you are out the back somewhere and something untoward happens you need to be aware of this. The second thing is if you break down and can't get your vehicle going, think very very carefully before leaving the vehicle, most deaths occur when people leave the vehicle behind, there was a significant example of this last year where 3 people died from doing this, their car was found before they were.

As someone who has done a lot of driving in the outback (as have many of our members) planning is the key, the longest 'single' trip I have done was 16000 up to and around the Kimberley and back, and it can be very desolate, I remember one rough stretch up there driving for 3 days and not seeing another vehicle or person.

Yes sound advice 👍
I also have the ZD30Di. June 2002 built GU3 to be exact. So I'm paying attention to this one in particular. Has she let you down on long trips at all? Mine drives very well and have no reason to think otherwise at this stage. There will be no towing on my trips.
Even so, the engine's general reputation still makes me feel slightly apprehensive once the thought starts playing in my mind. Maybe a discussion left for another thread.. But a worthy point to be wary of for those longer trips.
The water advice is a good reminder, when I'm ready to go on longer and farther trips I’ll be sure to have plenty water. Cheers!

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
21 - 28 of 28 Posts