Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Are you serious enough about Australia's economic situation to buy Australian even if more expensive

• No

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 36 94.7%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering the coercion and down-rite bullying we are receiving from the Chinese Communist Govt (which is really just a dictatorship under another name), are you willing to give up the usual 'ebay' specials and spend your money on Australian made goods? There is an opening for us happening right now and we should grab it, but, we know that due to many complications, ie, our basic wage is among the highest in the world, that is just something we need to live with. Are you up for it? I won't complicate the poll, just yes or no.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,295 Posts
I try to buy Australian produce, as for manufactured goods, there is very little that is completely made in Australia.

Reactions: Kiwi_dingo

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Yes" I am and do try first but it normally ends up being "no" due to what I need not being made/produced here.
This is where the opportunities lie, but, I remember when there were 5 vehicle maunfacturers, that was shear stupidity, AU population cannot support that type of industry unless we export, therein lay the problem of competing against other countries, I've seen it first hand in quite a few countries, we really need to choose our targets well.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to add another perspective, if a US band sells an album to 1% of the US population they could well be millionairs, the same scenario in AU sees them being paupers. This is the battle we face in even thinking about heading towards a modicum of self sufficiency.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never trusted them, seen too much OS.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
3,027 Posts
Yes, but....

1) It has to be economically viable. I'm not prepared to pay $200k+ for a Made In Oz hatchback.
2) It has to be a good product. I'm not paying for rubbish, just because it's Made in Oz.

·
Registered
33,169 Posts
🚫 I've said no to eBay stuff sent from CHYNA...🚫

Even if it's dearer to buy it from OZ I still do..

Some of the chit is made in CHYNA I know, but it's hard to find stuff thats fully made in Australia anyway..

As for groceries, I always look for the Australian made logo and Aldi has a good range of Australian made products if you look closely for them..

My missus does the shop usually ( well all the time basically 😂) and as we both work full-time time isn't something we both have plentiful of , and she just grabs what she can in a hurry...
I've been telling her to look more closely at at what she is buying, but I think I'm losing the losing battle....😂
But it's a good idea to look what's available from OZ for sure..👍

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,093 Posts
I will buy Australian where possible, or at least not Chinese.
It can be difficult with some items, though.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
836 Posts
Sometimes the Australian equivalent is just too dear. i do where I can. Buying a GME uhf soon for that reason.

I noticed Drifta now doing a budget line of gear called “drifta Stockton”. Made overseas, looks much better quality than kings and a bit more expensive. Much cheaper than Drifta made in aus gear.
Even though it’s not buying Australian made, it’s supporting a company that employs 90 Australians in the manufacturing sector, so it’s not as bad as buying eBay imo

·
Registered
nissan
591 Posts
I think the horse has bolted.

I have always preferred Australia product over forgin. Oz stuff could once be relied upon being better a product, that's not really the case anymore.

I don't mind paying extra for the better made Oz product but it does get to a stage where (as already mentioned) paying 200% more for something that now might be, or might not be better has its limit.

But don't just think about major items, also consider things as food shopping, or the shop your purchase stuff from.

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,266 Posts
Had to get some tools last week. Simple enough, a 6mm drill bit and a file. Managed to find a drill bit made in NZ but all the files were Chinese. I remember when Wiltshire files were made in Australia. I have a few, 30 years old and still good.
Then there's clothing. There are a few Australian options there but yes the cost is double that of cheap imports. If the quality is better and it lasts twice as long then its worthwhile. If Aussies bought one item of Australian made clothing a year, that'd boost our local textiles industry by maybe 30 million items a year, which they'd surely welcome.

·
Premium Member
Nissan GU1 4.2
429 Posts
I do as much as I can, but I struggle to get my family to do the same. Just like self service checkouts. I won't use them but my wife and kids always do. When our kids can't get jobs they will all be crying.

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
I agree with you smakb, I always go to the checkouts if I can so I'm helping someone get or keep a job.
We've always tried to buy local from the food to tools and so on. I have Coeliac disease so shopping is already expensive and a pain so looking for OZ made is not such a big change on that front but still a choice we are happy with. The rear bar was a custom job by a local fabricator about 5 years ago but sadly when I wanted him to make another swing away recently was told he got out of that cos he couldn't make a living with most people either going to cheap imports or the big names. His product was (and still is) very good quality and at a fair price for the work involved but sadly not consistent enough demand; his main comment being that he spent shedloads of time quoting jobs only to be told it was cheaper to by off the bay or kings etc.

·
Registered
nissan
248 Posts
First wave virus, Second wave cyber. Why do we trust China so much??
"We" do not "trust" China...…"our" politicians who actually work for the corporations have been quick to sell out Australia's future to the highest bidder......in this case....China.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
34 Posts
I,m with Yendor and Geeyoutoo,...….I just find it terribly foolish to even trust the b******s !!, my own experience has been that while Chinese products are increasingly flooding the market in all aspects of our lives, the majority of it (IMHO) is barely fit for purpose ! Maybe it's now time to bite the bullet and seek products and markets beyond the scope of Chinese control, even if they are more expensive.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
189 Posts
Its pretty hard to by Australian when our own Government has allowed the sale of our food producing land and "Aussie" brands to China....

I will buy Australian over anything else if it it avaliable but the option is slowly disappearing.

The other day I was talking to my Dad ( now in his eighties) about what his first jobs were. He told me that the day my Grandfather suggested he go out and get himself a job he rode his bike about 6km and was offered 9 different jobs! They were all manufacturing....

He said the goods were a lot dearer by today's standards but they were not throw away items either like it is (and accepted) today.

Borrowing money was not as much of a worry because you would always have the jobs avaliable to pay the loans.

These days I worry about job security more than anything when thinking about taking out a loan.....

This problem crept in over the years and will take time and self discipline to reverse or at least improve. Although while we have a Government that pays people to sit home and do **** all all day, sells off its (the people's assets) and allows other countries to push it around we have no chance...

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,306 Posts
"We" do not "trust" China...…"our" politicians who actually work for the corporations have been quick to sell out Australia's future to the highest bidder......in this case....China.
I was down at ACFS Port Logistics on Tuesday and there sure was a lot of trust sitting in their holding area. That was only one logistics company in Brisbane Port on just one day.

The government doesn’t force us where to buy our goods from. Foreign ownership our our land, that's a totally different story.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts