Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Are you serious enough about Australia's economic situation to buy Australian even if more expensive

• No

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 37 94.9%
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Although while we have a Government that pays people to sit home and do **** all all day, sells off its (the people's assets) and allows other countries to push it around we have no chance...
I would have to agree.....but the reason people are sitting around doing **** all and getting paid for it, is because the clowns selling off Australia's assets are also selling off Australian jobs at the same time. The politicians are the ones who created these problems, not the people that are unemployed, obviously there are some that could be classed as "bludgers" but there are a lot more that could be classed as "victims", and with this covid stuff going on, there is going to be a lot more businesses that won't survive, hence more "victims" - but at the end of the day, the fault lies with each and every one of us that voted for these clowns and don't stand up and hold them accountable when they make these decisions !

·
Registered
386 Posts
Once upon a time, in a land of common sense and mateship, there existed something called "import duties"
These "import duties" encouraged the citizens to purchase local products and materials because they were made to Aussie standards and competitive in price against imported options.
The local manufacturers/producers provided jobs for Aussies, and the money stayed in the community and local towns.
Stuff made overseas had to overcome the additional costs of shipping, wharfage, import duties and trade tarifs.
All these import tarifs and duties helped support local businesses and operations of customs.
It was a time of employment, industry, national pride, and much happiness...
........... but alas - the Political Parties who monopolised and controlled the overseas Australian sales of grain, wool, meat, dairy and resources to other countries did what all political Parties do - stuffed it up badly.
So instead of putting effort into building Australia's assets and products, they just dropped the prices of our products and removed import tarifs in return for the priveledge of selling our produce for a pittance.
Companies went bust, or were sold off to overseas ownership, cheap imports flooded the markets, unemployment climbed, and our national pride and independance was lost.
As the country spiraled down the drain, the Political Parties sold off Telecom (communication infrastructure), the Commonwealth Bank (de-regulating the banking industry), power, sewerage and water infrastructure (multinational corporations).
The more the Political Parties sold off, the more jobs and money siphoned off overseas, the more the Australian People were dependant on imports, and the more "de-regulated" Australian ownership of assets and resources became.
The strangest thing about all of this,
is that for all of the 60 years it took for the destruction of the Australian "lucky country" economy to occur,
in every election,
the people re-elected the main Political Parties who were responsible for destroying the Australian way of life.

At least the Politicians were still well paid,
and so essential to the voters that their numbers grew large, so we built them an entire city all for themselves,
generously funded for any luxury they might desire, by those mindlessly voting for the "Party"

·
Registered
nissan patrol
192 Posts
I would have to agree.....but the reason people are sitting around doing **** all and getting paid for it, is because the clowns selling off Australia's assets are also selling off Australian jobs at the same time. The politicians are the ones who created these problems, not the people that are unemployed, obviously there are some that could be classed as "bludgers" but there are a lot more that could be classed as "victims", and with this covid stuff going on, there is going to be a lot more businesses that won't survive, hence more "victims" - but at the end of the day, the fault lies with each and every one of us that voted for these clowns and don't stand up and hold them accountable when they make these decisions !
Don't get me wrong, I am not having a go at the people for getting paid to sit home- "bludgers" or otherwise....it's the mismanagement of our government that has created this problem.
The government has created a welfare dependent country and now it would be political suicide for any government to wind back that system as the "bludgers" will only vote out anyone who stands in the way of them being "paid" to sit home and do **** all. While there are many legitimate people that need assistance there are many more that don't- hence the term " bludgers" who by the way in many cases have been "paid" more during this Covid balls up.
I guess we shouldnt be too concerned though because once the mum and dad small business owners have all closed their doors for good due to the rediculous mismanagement of Covid and associated restrictions we will all be put to work for a fraction of the wages when the big overseas corporations take over.....
When someone works out how to hold them accountable for their actions please let us know!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Red Dirt, I know you weren't blaming the people, it's 100% the governments fault. The way things are going in this country, we'll soon be like America with "skid rows" in every state, homelessness will be in the millions, people will be begging for food....Suddenly Pauline Hanson's starting to look like a good Prime Minister, she couldn't do any worse !

·
Registered
386 Posts
You can tell the locals in country towns.
We buy our groceries from the local family at the IGA rather than Woolies or Coles
We get our fuel and repairs from the local independant servo/depot instead of Oil company run outlets
We get our belts and clothes from the local saddler.
Boots and hardware, farm supplies don't come from Bunnings.
And burgers or fish and chips come from the local takeway.

All these businesses spend their profits in town with other local businesses and suppliers, who provide jobs for our families and friends.

Usually it isn't the cheapest "bottom line" purchase available, but we all know that the only way to survive in a small town is to look after each other genuinely and fairly.
Doing business with someone you know and trust is the best product warranty in the world.

Trouble is, that the "be local, buy local" way of community thought is becoming extinct.

I'd rather be broke in a good community than financially wealthy in a city full of strangers.

If all Aussies valued this ethic, we would be a stronger Nation and People.

Reactions: GQ bush man

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This thread was not only about for local business's, there was another underlying reason I started this thread, at one stage we had a significant number of vendors both main and supporting, yes sure it wasn't cheap for them to be vendors but they were well supported, then ebay etc arrived on the block and the majority of people went for the cheapest, often Chinese, option, this was why I inserted 'Support the people who support us' under the Vendor Members Section. We lost all our paying vendors, I visited most of them years ago to discuss options, they all told me they weren't recouping the advertising costs whereas fakebook was a good option for them. One by one they all left, sure VS will have sponsors they will group in many of their 1775 forums, but I'm damn sure they are not making much money through us buying bits and pieces, guests are where VS make their money from us these days, we have between 200 and 500 guests at various times, because we are such a treasure trove of info on Patrols for anyone around the world we show up first when they google a Patrol problem, when guests drop off I'm pretty sure we will.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This thread was not only about for local business's, there was another underlying reason I started this thread, at one stage we had a significant number of vendors both main and supporting, yes sure it wasn't cheap for them to be vendors but they were well supported, then ebay etc arrived on the block and the majority of people went for the cheapest, often Chinese, option, this was why I inserted 'Support the people who support us' under the Vendor Members Section. We lost all our paying vendors, I visited most of them years ago to discuss options, they all told me they weren't recouping the advertising costs whereas fakebook was a good option for them. One by one they all left, sure VS will have sponsors they will group in many of their 1775 forums, but I'm damn sure they are not making much money through us buying bits and pieces, guests are where VS make their money from us these days, we have between 200 and 500 guests at various times, because we are such a treasure trove of info on Patrols for anyone around the world we show up first when they google a Patrol problem, when guests drop off I'm pretty sure we will.
If the question or sub agenda was about vendors on the Patrol 4x4 forum, then you should have asked that question a little more directly. ( I also have no idea what "VS" means)
You simply asked about forum members willingness to buy local even if it costs a bit more - and a good topic it is too .
Having been in my own small business for 20 years, advertising is only for big companies with money to burn or rip-offs to camoflage.
Best advertisment is a satisfied customer.

Reactions: GQ bush man

·
Premium Member
Nissan GU1 4.2
430 Posts
I buy Australian when I can, but it needs to be worth it. I recently purchased an oven for my Patrol and I wanted the Australian Travel Buddy. When I found the issues with that product I went for an alternative. I will not buy an oven when in the first week of ownership I have to replace the front door, the latch and the plug on the cable. We need to make quality products.

Reactions: rgren2

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If the question or sub agenda was about vendors on the Patrol 4x4 forum, then you should have asked that question a little more directly. ( I also have no idea what "VS" means)
You simply asked about forum members willingness to buy local even if it costs a bit more - and a good topic it is too .
Having been in my own small business for 20 years, advertising is only for big companies with money to burn or rip-offs to camoflage.
Best advertisment is a satisfied customer.
I said it was an underlying factor, the main reason was simply buying Australian.
VS is VerticalScope, they own us.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts