Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 555 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been meaning to do this for a while as I get a lot of critters wandering around my yard, we have parkland on 2 sides, I've got several species of birds that introduce their new families to us each year, as well as a host of other critters so I'm interested in what you may have in your garden.

What made me think about it was I was just relaxing on the lounge looking out the window onto the pool and this is what swims over and just floats in the pool watching a Skink under the paver edge. He's no stranger to the pool, last year I filmed him chasing Skinks through it.

Just floating and watching
IMG_0233.1.jpg

What he was watching, the poor fella had already lost his tail to something else.
IMG_0234.jpg

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
6,173 Posts
Being on the Western edge of the wheatbelt we get visited by all sorts of critters. We get the odd snake chasing mice which are attracted by dropped seed in the bird avary. Lots of Bobtails [Blue Tongues] and just about every bird out there. Pretty amazing the birds that come very close to me on the verandah, so long as I don't make any sudden moves.

Have noticed though, as the town has grown and expanded, the wildlife is slowly becoming scarcer as the years go by. Most of the large trees have disappeared for one reason or another.

Our loss sadly.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,270 Posts
Rescued this fella from the Wuz who was barking and had him baled upand hissing

This bloke was on the side of the road when the young fella and I were outfor a mtb ride

·
Registered
nissan
4,823 Posts
Likewise being semi rural bird life is great from little blue wrens to Carnaby ****atoos', missus feeds the maggies so they turn up every morning singing for a feed. As for lizards we get bobtails, water dragons, lots of different skinks and a few months back 4 foot of bloooddy bungarra nearly **** when he came out of steel pile.
Use to get a lot of roos but traffic and more housing has moved them out.
Snakes not welcome and Mr Boito helps them on their way

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
6,173 Posts
Was recently talking to the missus about the decline in wildlife as the town has grown and the displacement we as humans have and are having on the natural environment. She did point out that during our off-road travels over the years, we actually see fewer reptiles, birds and critters out in the bush and remoter areas of the state.

The animals must think we are doing something right......lol.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A few of the pics from my collection of critters around home.

Three Amigos
3 amigo's.jpg

Their Mum and Dad
Magpies Max and Maggie.jpg

Time for a kip
IMG_2834.jpg

Time for a play
P1030673.1.jpg

What's up Doc
DSC02769.jpg

Just keep those snakes away from me
Fredo 1-1.jpg

Good tucka here
IMG_2823.1.jpg

I'm late I'm late
P1090978.1.jpg

Yes, this'll do
P1000978.jpg

Don't know about you but I'm dry
Mum Dad and the 3 Kids.jpg

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was just having a cuppa on the verandah and one of the Magpies was intently watching something beside the Golden Cane, had my camera nearby, just love the stuff we get hanging around the yard, looks like there could be a few of these around, this one is considerably darker on it back. These guy's chase the frogs in the Bromiliards and the Skinks that are everywhere.

Snake.jpg

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,570 Posts
Surrounded by bush and live on 1/2 acre, as is the whole area.

Birds, birds, birds, hundreds of em. From kookaburra and honey-eaters to blue wrens. black carnaby, black short crested and sulphur-crested c0ckatoos, 28's (australian ringneck parrots) and every now and again we get a flock of red cap parrots.

The pink and greys give me the chits though, sit on the TV antenna and crap all over my solar panels.

Crows, maggies, butcherbirds and ravens are a dime a dozen. Currently feeding one old timer maggie. Seems to have no flock, probably was an alpha that got the boot for some reason as the local flock tolerate him but will not fly or nest with him.

Regularly chase dugites out, had a couple of western tiger and a western brown snake, even had a king brown (not common to this area).

Bob-tails and blue tongues are always around. Lots of bush area down the back. Had a gould’s goanna come in from the goegrup lake nature reserve across the road (or anywhere from the bush lands around me).

Often get bandicoots and the odd bilby.

Rats and mice of course, as any area where people live does.

And we also get lots of hoons, never see them as they are a block or two over and congregate around the nice smooth tarmac of a new sub division, but one can hear the squealing and often catch the sent of burning rubber.

Annoying little buggers they are ...

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mr and Mrs Plover finally had success the second time this winter, only one chick though, 2 days old and running around like a pro under the watchful gaze of mum and dad, they are amazing birds.

Plover Chick1.1.jpg

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
11,999 Posts
A catbird is a regular visitor to my place, we've formed a friendship.

Relocated this guy a few weeks back:

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a feeling it was one of his close relatives that got the last batch before they hatched.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found this guy relaxing on the top of the fence at the back of the pool yesterday, the skinks love to sit around the pool edge so this guy is a regular, he has grown considerably since the last time I saw him, or maybe it's a bigger brother, well over 1.5m.

IMG_1767.jpg

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,677 Posts
That's one of the things I love about Australia, reptiles of any sort which are quite prolific and the birdlife..especially the Galah's, ****atoo's and smaller parakeets. I've often told my wife about the parrots coming into Cairns to roost at dusk...literally hundreds and hundreds of them. And a couple of years ago I showed her lol...amazing to see and hear the noise!

Then the bats came out :p.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's one of the things I love about Australia, reptiles of any sort which are quite prolific and the birdlife..especially the Galah's, ****atoo's and smaller parakeets. I've often told my wife about the parrots coming into Cairns to roost at dusk...literally hundreds and hundreds of them. And a couple of years ago I showed her lol...amazing to see and hear the noise!

Then the bats came out :p.
You want to see bats, Yepoon and Bundy :rolleyes:.

I planted a weeping Grevillia in the park at my back fence a few years ago, it is in full flower and about 2M high at the moment and the Rainbow Lorikeet love it, there were over a dozen flitting through the flowers chomping on the nectar yesterday.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Changed the title of my old thread to reflect our gardens, we still get wildlife in there so they are still a part of how we live but it would also be nice to see what others have in regard to plants and features around their garden. I know several members have Frangipani's and they are a favourite of mine also, I have a Singapore franga with monster flowers and flower stems and several fruit salad varieties as well as a std franga. The Singapore is bloody marvelous very strong scent and flowers that last a while but replenish quickly, I trimmed it hard 2 years ago as it was getting too high for its position, this year it has come back stronger than ever and will probably require a big trim again. I'm not an avid gardener by any stretch of the imagination but do like my place to look OK and to be self sufficient so I can go away and not worry about it.

I have pretty good neighbours also, last Australia Day I organised a street party in our Cul de Sac and it was a great day all around.

Some pics.

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

P1010136.jpg

P1100123.jpg

P1030893.jpg

P1030889.jpg

P1100124.jpg

P1030168.jpg

P1030951.jpg

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,832 Posts
Because I'm technologically incompetent, you get one frangipanni at a time, we've just had a storm so they are not at their best. If anyone wants to know their name I can find out later.

Attachments

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,832 Posts
This tree came from a previous house and is very common.

Attachments

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,832 Posts
We have lots in pots.

Attachments

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,832 Posts
Just past it's best.