Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ashamed of Australia
Ashamed of the US
Ashamed of Sweden
Ashamed of the UK...

WTF is going on when an Australian can be arrested on a misdemeanour allegedly committed in Sweden and not released on bail by the UK all because of US government paranoia?

·
BLACK BETTY
607 Posts
I agree totally. The powers can not get him on espionage etc changes. So they will get him some other way. I reckon they is a lot of pressure being put on the swedes by the US to convict him.

·
Registered
nissan/gq patrol
589 Posts
I agree, I don't know anything about wikileaks but I don't think there is anything wrong with it, whistleblowers need protection. Also those charges in Sweden, sound trumped up, 2 charges of ' sex by surprise' what the stuff is that ?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
43 Posts
Maybe if he had gone to Sweden in the first place it would have been sorted. Instead he has flitted around and has made it quite obvious that he is quite good at disappearing. There is a formal extradition agreement between most EU countries and he has now put himself in this process by handing himself into the UK courts.. The Court has made a judgement that he is an individual who is quite likely to disappear again and therefore bail has not been given.
Of course you could be cynical and say that this is all good publicity for Wickileaks from his perspective.
IMO he could have stopped all this if he had faced the music when it all started.
Are you still going to be ashamed if he proven to be a rapist?

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe if he had gone to Sweden in the first place it would have been sorted. Instead he has flitted around and has made it quite obvious that he is quite good at disappearing. There is a formal extradition agreement between most EU countries and he has now put himself in this process by handing himself into the UK courts.. The Court has made a judgement that he is an individual who is quite likely to disappear again and therefore bail has not been given.
Of course you could be cynical and say that this is all good publicity for Wickileaks from his perspective.
IMO he could have stopped all this if he had faced the music when it all started.
Are you still going to be ashamed if he proven to be a rapist?
Believe channel seven, nine and ten if you like mate. He's being charged with 'sex by surprise' not rape. And there is a HUGE difference. He wasn't in hiding either. Just do an online search and read some stories by reputable journalists and see if you think the same mate.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Trumped up charges - we can all see that, nothing will change though..

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
43 Posts
Believe channel seven, nine and ten if you like mate. He's being charged with 'sex by surprise' not rape. And there is a HUGE difference. He wasn't in hiding either. Just do an online search and read some stories by reputable journalists and see if you think the same mate.
This got me to have a look at it a bit more! Well done!! So what is sex by surprise:

Believe it or not, sex by surprise is actually not an euphemism for rape. It is sex without a condom after a woman requests it — even if the sex is consensual — and it's fine-able in Sweden by 5,000 kronor (about $715).

I have changed my opinion:eek:

I agree it's all BS. I think maybe he should have paid the fine!

·
Registered
nissan
308 Posts
I thought 'sex by surprise' was about taking the first hole from the back??? seems i was wrong.

·
Registered
nissan
339 Posts
American's and their paranoia ? Let's rather discuss that bit of grit on the bottom of your shoe , it is dog crap by any chance ? It would make a better conversation than anything to do with Americans. They don't deserve to be discussed.

·
Registered
nissan
72 Posts
dont get me started on america. Oprah comes to australia and she is allowed to plaster her logo on the temporarily re named oprah house. What a croc. I wonder what would happen to an aussie if he, she went to america and scribbled there name on the lincoln memorial. There would be nation wide outrage and calls for a public exocution.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
I think whistleblowers should have much more support.

He can hide in my basement anytime. Maybe too late...

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
the funny thing is he thought he'd get away with ****ting on USA for ever without being treated like some of the **** he is leaking! How dumb is this bloke?

edit: few mirrored sites http://46.59.1.2/mirrors.html

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think he thought he'd have to worry about it. He has broken no laws... Except maybe using inferior condoms...

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
If he goes to the USA, hes finished. He will get a David Hicks Fair trial followed by the full support of the Australian division of the USA gov.

As critics protest against the "shonky" way WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has been denied his freedom, diplomatic sources have reportedly revealed informal talks are underway for him to be transferred into US custody.

US and Swedish officials have already discussed the possibility of Assange being delivered into the hands of US law enforcement to face potential charges over "espionage offences", Britain's The Independent reported, citing "diplomatic sources".

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
A different perspective ....

The world is not all kittens and rainbows......... the infomation being leaked is confidential he is not some sort of hero, it is democracies who will suffer at his hands and we will all pay for that. ( where are the leaks from Zimbabwe, North Korea, Syria, Iran etc..... state controlled countries ....thats right there are none as they have a severely limited freedom of speech and saying or publishing anything pertaining to a state secret will result in death...

I suggest some of you guys read some of the international issues and try to get an understanding of what is happening in the world particulary throughout Africa, the middle east and parts of asia , the world is a basket case !!!

I thank the US
I thank the UK
I thank Australia

If it was not for these three countries I would not live the life I do today.... yes that means sometimes they have to have secrets, secrets that if they get out could threaten our way of life and standard of living.

Im my opinion Assange is putting my quality of life at risk.......

Thats one perspective anyway :)

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PB, hava look through the wikileaks stuff... Assange started out exposing corruption in kenya, zimbaabwe etc... None of the secrets released by WL has put anyone at risk -no one can categorically say how it would either.. it's all pie in the sky crap. Remember, the same documents have been published by other media oulets too. Such as the Australian and The Daily Telegraph (all highly disreputible rags i'm sure ;)). WL has simply exposed the duplicity of governemts and the lies they have told their own people and are now embarrassed about the fact that they look like the fools and liars they are.

·
Registered
nissan
29 Posts
Hey Mic, thanks for posting your support for Wikileaks and condemnation of the Australian Government's shamefull pandering to American interests.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts