Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have mentioned this before, and with the Australian dollar in such a good state, it bears mentioning again. I do a fair bit of eBaying and whenever I have any frustrations with a seller, it's invariably an Australian one. There are lots of very good/excellent Australian sellers on eBay, but I can't understand why there are sellers who have the same attitude as some bad bricks and mortar stores.

Recently, I've been looking for two magnetic bases with flexible arms and found just what I was after on eBay from an Adelaide seller. Their price for one unit was $29 plus $12 for shipping. I emailed them and asked what the shipping cost would be for two items, expecting that it might be reduced. I received a answer asking for my postcode, to which I replied immediately; but since then, I haven't heard back from them at all. I've sent additional emails and it's been dead silence. :angryfir:

Fortunately, I dropped into our local Total Tools store to have a look at what they might have (expecting very high prices) and, lo and behold, they had just what I wanted, on sale, for less than $20 ea! Bargain! So if the Adelaide seller ever does bother to respond, I'll thank them heartily for ignoring me for so long and saving me a nice bit of cash. :D

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
ebay can work for you and against you ray .. the defining moment for either side ..... research.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ebay can work for you and against you ray .. the defining moment for either side ..... research.
You'd better believe it, I research every nook and cranny before I buy anything. My purchase was merely serendipity, as the original price of each base was $49 and I would possibly have bought them at that price rather dick around with the Adelaide seller. However, this post was about crap service by Australian eBayers.

Cheers

Ray

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,226 Posts
eBay is just like anything now, you have to know your prices and don't forget to consider the postage cost/travel cost

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Is it really related to just ebay sellers
I thought many in retail/resale are arrogant inconsiderate a holes

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it really related to just ebay sellers
I thought many in retail/resale are arrogant inconsiderate a holes
It applies to all retailers, but I simply get so much better service from overseas sellers. Even ones that don't want to sell to Australia respond quickly and pleasantly.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
...., I dropped into our local Total Tools store to have a look at what they might have
ROFLMAO... sorry... can't help it... it's a brave dude who names his business Total Tools:p :p :p

Anyway, back on topic... I luv Ebay always on there getting prices, don't buy a terrible lot, maybe 25 transactions a year. Just luv to window shop and a few things I've noticed...

One, is how much stuff is of a 'competitive price' from a local retailer or indeed dearer on Ebay so I always google the part or model number and check Shopbot et al and would probably have bought more stuff cheaper off a retailer such as Ryders.
Still poopoo loads of bargains on "the Bay" tho

Two, the big count (say 4,000 plus) sellers with 100% feedback will do back flips to help with customer satisfaction and you can rely on the product to be decent quality and yet when you read the feedback on the 'wannabee's' who antagonise buyers with poor comms or crap products they slag off the buyer in their reply's when they should be fixing the issue.

Three, all those ****ty Ebay Sniper apps have taken the fun out of bidding in a lot of the auctions :angryfir:

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
I think it points to those who are retail savvy or those who dont give a toss

Arent ya in retail to make money,well selling the product at a profit makes money
Some people just dont get it,its not rocket science

Im finding alot on evilbay of late that is way dearer than other places

I hate the businesses that ask for details to contact you regarding their product
Send the info 3 weeks ago for a kit home,no reply !!!
Wont be buying of them
Funny thing is their in QLD and so am i
Ya just cant help some people

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
I'm in the middle of my first real issue with an ebay seller in the ten years I've been using it. US guy, mountainbike parts, <$100 via Paypal so no big deal, just a PITA because he's so unresponsive and full of excuses. But yeah, ebay is just another way to buy stuff these days, it's nothing like the good old days.

And speaking of Total Tools, I can recommend their own branded gear - my TT 1/2" drive socket, spanner set and screwdriver set are ten years old this year and going strong. It's all made in the same Taiwanese industrial estate as Sidchrome.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
I'm a Green Star on eBay with 200+ sales and have 100% feedback rating. Son is a Red Star with heaps of sales, also 100% feedback.

If I buy I check feedback and only ever pay via PayPal.

Some sellers are good, post quickly and don't sell crap. It's easy to pick the good ones.

·
Registered
nissan
1,194 Posts
Agree with the ( ebay will work , IF you do research) , got a mega grunt compressor for $110 , everywhere else is higher , the most i saw one for was for $187 ??? Go figure ? Then again i got a milford fitting kit for $110 from arb , then got price from tjm haha $160 ?? $50 dollar diffrence from a 5 suburb variance ?
Research is the key to a bargain !
Cheers chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts