Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i have a Auto GQ patrol that won't drive or reverse it just has nothing, it doesn't make any noises and doesn't even try to move.
its full of oil and i've tried putiing it in 4x4 high and low which didn't do anything. if anyone has any ideas before i pull it out that would be great.

·
Registered
nissan
289 Posts
isn't overfull of oil is it.
Failing that i'd say the oil pump in it is shot and the box will need to come out.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
bloke in my old club had same issue.. somethign had let go inside the box and blocked the oil galleries.
in his case, $4000 rebuild...
try draining the fluid and see if its got floating things in it.
does the shifter actually feel like its selecting?
when you go thru reverse, do the reverse lights go on?

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
Yep mine failed at 320,000 in peak hour, no drive. I paid $3850 for a reco about 4 years ago.
When it happened it almost seemed like a selector prob, thinking I may have bumped the Hi.Low.
It had a failed pump among other faults when pulled down.

·
Slow But Reliable
nissan gq patrol
527 Posts
Same as you Brunsy, but it failed at 240,000 k's. $4,000 later good as new. But it happened at the same time my wife's Commodore motor shat itself, and l lost my job 2 days later. :angryfir:

·
Registered
nissan
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks for all your input guys to aswer your v8manic yes it is overfull do you think this would've blown the pump. truckster doesn't feel like it does anything at all when you move the selector and i didn't check the reverse lights, might have to do that. ah well looks like the box is coming out

·
Registered
nissan
289 Posts
I had the problem in a commodore once it was over ful it just fills all the oil galleries up and cause of this it doesn't know what gear to select so it just sits in neutrul drain it out and refill it to the correct level and give that a go. Best way to see if it's done a oil pump would be to take one of the oil lines off the radiator and put into a bucket and then start the car if oil pours out it's not the pump gone.

·
Registered
nissan
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks v8manic that helps heaps i'll try that tomorrow. I thought someone may have pinched the front seal as the engine was recently rebuilt, And the bloke i brought it off said it was drivin only a short distance before stopping. But them overfilling it by the sounds of things can do the same thing so it may not be all bad after all.

·
Registered
nissan
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok now im stumped, i pulled the line off the radiator and it pumped great, at the same time i drained the oil to the correct level. checked the reverse lights and they do come on. and still no movement or noises. the only thing i can see wrong is the oil was drirty (read very dark almost brown). so maybe it something electrical?

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Have you run a self-diagnosis? Could a number of things. Running the self diagnosis will help you narrow it down. Also do a search here and see what others have had problems with. There have been a few which were just torque converters. As for just draining the fluid, you would be better off dropping the pan and checking the filter. Also, always make sure you use the correct ATF.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Manual conversion will cost about half the cost of auto recondition, Something to think about if you need it.

·
Registered
nissan
81 Posts
I had my auto do the same thing 2 years ago, replaced auto then found out it was just the converter, the spline in the converter was stripped, have heard of a few other cases of the same thing happening.

·
Registered
nissan
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, canuck self diognosic sounds good i haven't done that yet though as i've only had it a couple of days, but it will at least tell me if its electrical or mechanical. Murraman a manual swap is in my plans anyway as i can get all the bits at a reasonable price but i wanted to know if it was something simple before going to all that trouble (yep im a lazy bastard). blue mq when yours stiped the spline did it make any noises when the car was running? Mine doesn't make any noises at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts