Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

As it states I left the hubs locked from bribie to caboolture. I forgot unlock them. That's what you get when you come from an 80 series. Could this do any damage? At times I did sit on 100kph. All does seem fine but you never know.
Thanks
Troy

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
As long as you had the low range stick in H2 you'll be fine. Can lock the hubs in from time to time if you like to get the oils etc moving around.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
If it wasn't in 4WD, you'll have no problems.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
Nissan
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gentlemen,

It was in h2, mental note now. Must unlock hubs. I felt like a d--khead.
On another note. Almost got done for the exhaust. The boys in blue were doing a rbt coming off the beach and they were searching the back of the car for an exhaust outlet which they did find but they were to lazy to get under and have a look. Very lucky could of been a bad way to end the day
Thanks
Troy

·
Registered
nissan
163 Posts
I lock my hubs every few months if I have not been offroad just to get oil moving around. I notice a little more 'drag' but have never had any problems with doing this.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Troy,

Up until i fitted the auto lokka, i also would run with hubs locked occcasionally to keep everything in good shape and i couldn't say i could tell if they were locked or not even when cruising at 100kph. With the lokka i will still leave the hubs locked if i'm just doing short low speed (50kph) runs on the black top.

I've read in 4b mags of 4wds that have never had 4wd engaged for years where the front dif rusted because the top half of the crown wheel never got turned over into the oil.

Even in 4wd i don,t think a stock Patrol transmission would be damaged easily on dry black top. It's pretty tuff. The tire contact patch would be the weakest link so they'd get scrubbed before you'd start damaging metal components. The concern would be more in regard to poor handling leading to an accident.

What type of exhaust have you got that would not be compliant? I'm saving for a 3" system myself.

Grogey

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have an auto Lokka and its happend more than once - sydney to newcastle get to stockton beach, go to lock hubs ' oh already locked oh well'. Speed around 110 mark no issues

·
Registered
Nissan
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi groggy,
It's a 3" manrel bend ceramic coated stirling exhaust with no mufflers. She can be on the noisy side, when I coast around the turbo whistle grabs everyones attention. How do you find the auto locker? The wife said I can go an e locker but I'm thinking auto to save some money for a roof rack and awning.
Cheers
Troy

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Troy,

Even in 4wd i don,t think a stock Patrol transmission would be damaged easily on dry black top. It's pretty tuff. The tire contact patch would be the weakest link so they'd get scrubbed before you'd start damaging metal components. The concern would be more in regard to poor handling leading to an accident.
Grogey

Care to try you theory on this mate?

I can agree with you that the Patrol drive line is the toughest going around, but I can also guarantee that driving while in 4wd on the blacktop will destroy your driveline due to windup.

We manufacture drivline components and can honestlty say that the information that you have given above (Even in 4wd i don,t think a stock Patrol transmission would be damaged easily on dry black top. It's pretty tuff. The tire contact patch would be the weakest link so they'd get scrubbed before you'd start damaging metal components) is missleading and people who may possibly follow this information will eventually have driveline failure.

We have simulated your above quote and destroyed driveline components in the test lab. Not nit picking mate, just think your statement is not correct regarding the driving on the blacktop while in 4wd.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
to add to the above. seen plenty of newbies complain about their ute "locking up" on the tarseal. of course they where driving in 4h on the tarseal. its not about of the driveline can handle it, when you get enough transmission wind up and good traction, it all just binds up and you don't go very far.

·
Registered
nissan
1,113 Posts
I didn't really like the way mine drove around town (2H hubs locked in) car feels a bit heavier as does steering, felt no difference when you cruise at speed on the freeway though.:p

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi groggy,
It's a 3" manrel bend ceramic coated stirling exhaust with no mufflers. She can be on the noisy side, when I coast around the turbo whistle grabs everyones attention. How do you find the auto locker? The wife said I can go an e locker but I'm thinking auto to save some money for a roof rack and awning.
Cheers
Troy
Auto Lokka is ok, it works that’s for sure but I get a lot of torque steer happening when in 4H and I would like the option to have open or locked. If I had my time again I would consider waiting and going say E locker.
But on the other hand it’s not going to come out anytime soon.

·
Registered
nissan
556 Posts
I have a Gulf spec 4.8, and I spent some time looking into the auto-manul hubs thing. As far as I've been able to work it out. It turns out that ALL Gulf spec 4.8 (and lets face it they don't sell a lot of the 4.5s and don't even know that Diesel exists) have locked hubs.
Most of these vehicles are sold to Arabian Gentlemen, and trying to tell him that he has to get out and move the hub setting would result in the Arabian equivalent of WTF.

So short answer is - it's not a problem

1 - 15 of 15 Posts