Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,
So since getting my new 2.5inch exhaust put on my 4.8 has developed a whole load of problems. First the damn exhaust shop didnt put heat shields back on and broke the cables on one of the oxygen sensors making the truck run ultra rich and get very hot. Lazer temp on exhaust just before the cat was 180 degrees... got new o2 sensors put in and now has a real rough idle, ok once you start driving but shakes like its about to stall when idling. Thats problem number 1.

The second problem is a wierd one, the other day I went to take off and it felt like the auto wouldnt allow the truck to rev over 2000RPM... In neutral it was fine but in drive the truck had no pickup and seemed to change up the gears way too fast not allowing the truck to get up and go... Max speed 80kph and it took about 40 seconds to get there with the accellerator mashed all the way to the floor...

Mechanic thinks it might be plugs or injectors and a slipping torque convertor but i cant see it being the plugs or injectors if they were all working fine even when the exhaust was stuffed and the engine was running rich and a slipping torque convertor in my understanding would allow the engine to rev but not allow the truck to go anywhere like a slipping clutch?

Anyone got any ideas as to whats going on???

·
Registered
107 Posts
if the exhaust has got so hot maybe the muffler or cat is stuffed and you have an exhaust blockage which would kill the power big time

·
Registered
nissan
1,482 Posts
The o2 sensors must be wired correctly. Make sure they are. If unsure, can even just swap the leads over. May be different plugs, can't recall. If so, just swap the sensors over with each other. It will either be better or worse. If better, that's it. If worse, change back.

Is the check engine light on? Also sounds like limp mode. But every chance that Muzz is right.

Where do you live too?

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,064 Posts
Sounds likes the problem that was posted on here a week or so ago. You're O2 sensors are most likely plugged into the wrong plugs. Try swapping them.

Is your MIL light (engine light) on? Sounds likes the errors due to O2 sensors has caused the ECU to go into limp home mode. When mine was in limp mode it drove exactly how you are explaining.

·
Registered
Nissan
13 Posts
Over fueling of petrol actually causes them to run cooler not hotter but anyway however you may have a clogged cat from the overfueling so check that. If the vehicle won't rev past 2000 rpm, it may be either as Jeff-WA says the limp home mode (resetting the computer should resolve this) or your AFM is not connected correctly or has some problems. Your other problem is most likely caused by a faulty O2 sensor or its not connected correctly, the wires may be switched around as well.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
You sure they didn't swap the whole motor out for a td42? ;)

Is the workshop who did the exhaust paying for all your faffing around?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
338 Posts
Hey Dave i'm getting new headers and **** done soon ,what workshop did you get this done at so i can aviod them .Just PM me if you don't want to air your laundry.Cheers Steve

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey fellas will try the o2 swap Monday and get cat looked at too the exhaust was done in blacktown at charlestone exhaust I am going to speak to them re this this week to hopefully get some cash back but I don't like my luck... Haven't had a prob with these guys ever b4 maybe they just not good with 4wds...

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and no no check engine light when the limp mode like symptoms were happening...

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
38 Posts
Just check your airflow sensor wiring, remove and refit it, even give it a clean with some contact spray. make sure the wiring has not been pulled from the connectors, I found this the last time my car went into the shop, I thought I had major problems with my auto, it ended up just being the wiring conection at the airflow sensor.

Casey

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2003 gu
281 Posts
Could these "sensor problems" affect the 4.8 running on LPG? My 4.8 auto TI runs perfectly on petrol but cough's & splutters on lpg & has no power, even has troubloe going up hills!

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,064 Posts
Could these "sensor problems" affect the 4.8 running on LPG? My 4.8 auto TI runs perfectly on petrol but cough's & splutters on lpg & has no power, even has troubloe going up hills!
Depending on the LPG system faulty or slow responding O2's could cause this problem on LPG and sill cause the petrol system to run ok. My sprint gas LPG system runs almost entirely off the O2's and has no backup so if the O2's don't read correctly it can lean out and cough and have low power.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
38 Posts
Wario

I would suggest you check the inline filter in your convertor, they tend to gum up with the crappy LPG going around, but this is also dependent on your convertor, some are better then others.

Casey

·
Registered
58 Posts
i had the same thing as Jeff-WA in regards to the limp mode when my 02 sensors died, but like he said my engine light was on too. and mine affected both my gas and petrol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts