Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, we're looking seriously at trading up to a GU from my ol' GQ. Have my eye on an '04 Ti 4.8 5-sp auto, $19 000-00 in a caryard. Only concern is the km: 204 000 on a 6 yo vehicle. If it was a manual I wouldn't be worried but that seems a little high to me for an auto. So what is the average life-expectancy for one of these trannys? I'm assuming that they're pretty pricey to replace or reco:rolleyes:?
Oh yeah, tried Search & didn't get too far. Too broad a subject, I s'pose.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I would have thought that as long as the automatic was serviced and well looked after that 204,000 km would be bugger all.
I service my mother in laws 91 Holden Commodore which has well over 400,000km on it which still has the orignal automatic transmission (its had a couple of minor repairs)
I would like to think the Nissan unit would be stronder than the Holden unit

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Properly serviced autos last just about forever.

Cheers

Ray

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,064 Posts
My mates 4.8 has over 200,000kms on it and drives like brand new (far better than my abused old girl haha!) Honestly it s a bloody NICE car to drive and drives far better than my wife's work Fords when they have only 100,000kms on them. I wouldn't be too worried. First thing to do would be to get the shims/valaves checked at that milage but other than that if it's in good nick go for it. Good price too! :cool:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
338 Posts
Check that it has been serviced regulary,if it has and you buy it ,flush the system and throw in some tranzmax Z synthetic.Its about $80 for 4 litres but well worth it

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. We'll look into it further. As it's in Sydney & we're in Canberra it'll have to wait 'till after Xmas but it's certainly worth following up.:)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Check that it has been serviced regulary,if it has and you buy it ,flush the system and throw in some tranzmax Z synthetic.Its about $80 for 4 litres but well worth it
The 5 speed auto's in the 4.8's dont take Transmax Z as the additive package is not suitable .
They take an improved version called Transmax J

·
Registered
473 Posts
The 5 speed auto's in the 4.8's dont take Transmax Z as the additive package is not suitable .
They take an improved version called Transmax J
Castrol (part synthetic) Transmax J has been superseded by Transmax E (full synthetic)

According to the 'blurb', specifically designed for "Asian" ATs, and meets the 'J' spec (among others)....

I shall be switching to this in due course (next change) ;-)

http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf\9434_TransmaxE_119828_2009_07.pdf

:cheers:

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
My TB42 auto crapped itself at around 275000kms but it got a hiding towing bobcats and heavy machinery. This is around the sort of kays many GQ's get the autos overhauled so I wasnt too fussed. The advice given in this thread is good, any serviced auto will last and I wouldnt be worried of the 4.8's mileage, if anything if it were a manual with those kays I would be thinking clutch.....................
Nissan tends to beef up everything on their bigger motors and the TB48 being the flagship it should be fairly substantial. My mate still fiddles with a 3spd Jatco from a dato 180B mated behind a big horsepower nissan six RB30 running 10 second quaters for years now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts