Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Mav out for a trip to Toolangi (vic country) and had a blast but was concerned the auto was getting too hot. I've got the sender located in the auto cooler banjo which flows 'out' of the tranny (from what I've read it's the best place to get a reading).
The highest temp I recorded for the whole day was 110C (climbing a massive hill) which according the manual is very high - it usually runs between 85-90C. The thing that has me stumped is I'm running a huge aftermarket cooler with it's own decidiated fan & themo switch which will activate at 80C but it never turns on!?! (yes, it's wired correctly & has been tested. Also wired a LED across the themo switch back to the cab so i can tell if it's activated).
My question is:
If the oil coming out is 110C yet the oil going back in is under 80C do I need to worry???

·
Registered
93 SWB Maverick
1,390 Posts
Absolute max is 130C In the pan for sort times only! 80-95 is normal temps. So 110 isnt too bad, but i would try and let it cool down more just a tad. and get that cooler fan working and do some testing on hills near you to make sure before going away again.

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Mine is TD42 lwb high roof with auto trans. When I bought it from a friend, it has 2 issues, coolant and atf temp. When pushed hard on a long steep hill climb (30-50kms), both temps climb fast too. Coolant up to the max 118c and atf 140c..and this is with large after market atf cooler (Perma Cool) linked in series with the original cooler within the radiator. Long story short, I end up with two after market cooler that solved both temp issues, where both temps reach only 95c (coolant) and 92c (atf) max! This is my set up..

from g.box - 'A' - large a/market cooler (mounted in front of the a/c condenser) - smaller a/market cooler (mounted behind the radiator) - r/h side radiator tank cooler - back to the g.box (by passing the l/h side radiator tank cooler). tapped an Autometer atf temp sender unit in 'A'.

·
Registered
nissan gq swb
483 Posts
One problem creates another with an auto trans plumbed up thru the radiator.
If the trans gets hot, then so will the coolant. If the coolant runs hot, so will the auto.

Running a separate trans cooler will normally fix both problems, as long as your cooling system is in top condition, and you trans isnt worn out :confused::lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts