Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing a minor underbody inspection today and noticed how close the transmission cooler lines are to the downpipe. GU7 CRD with Beaudesert 2.75" exhaust.

Surely this is a very bad place to run them; only an inch or so from the pipe, where radiated exhaust heat would heat the fluid on the way to the radiator and again on the way back.

Even with the standard exhaust this would be too close.

Has anybody re-routed these?

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
177 Posts
Mine are the same in my td42t auto gu and my normal temps never see over 85 unless towing or loaded up on a big hill

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
I was considering re-routing the fluid lines along the drivers side of the vehicle incorporating an inline finned heatsink; I installed the biggest PWR trans cooler I could get and have never had any worries so haven't been bothered. I do agree it is a particularly stupid factory routing.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine are the same in my td42t auto gu and my normal temps never see over 85 unless towing or loaded up on a big hill
TD42 doesn`t see anywhere near the EGTs that a CRD does.

I reckon when the CRD hits 6-700 temp there would be a lot of heat transfer to the fluid in those metal lines, especially on long climbs when towing.

I now have a project😊 - reroute the lines to the other side of the engine. Can't see any untoward difficulty with that.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
I have put a piece of alloy heat shield over the trans cooler lines where they pass the catalytic converter. It is particularly stupid that the cooled oil return line is so close to such a heat source.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts