Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just trying to find out what to do:

we recently instaled arb air lockers front and rear, and they have reccomend that we change our automatic hubs to free whelling ones, we are not sure what to do. some have reccomend that we change to GQ freewheeling hubs

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I still run the auto hubs on mine with the airlockers and never had a problem. You should use the wheel socket spanner and lock them in when you are doing more serious 4x4. Using them in auto can lead to them grinding a bit when they click in and out again if you roll back a bit on a hill then put them under hard forward and reverse load. Just lock them in more often.

There is also a thread on here about converting them from auto to manual. Removing the auto lock friction ring part so you just have the manual lock or free-wheel. I got a spare pair just in case but have never needed them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just fitted GQ ones to mine so I don't need to dig out my wheel brace just to unlock or lock the hubs.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,066 Posts
As long as you have a bit of mechanical sympathy with the way you use equipment you don't need to change your hubs. The issue with lockers and auto hubs is that you have the opportunity to engage the locker with one wheel on the axle spinning madly with the power on. This will cause the auto locking mechanism to slam engage which greatly increases chances of a failure. I'm yet to see someone engage a manual hub while the wheel is spinning so they are not subject to the same shock loads that an auto locking hub might endure. Just be sensible when you engage the locker and you will have no problems.

Cheers,

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
As long as you have a bit of mechanical sympathy with the way you use equipment you don't need to change your hubs. The issue with lockers and auto hubs is that you have the opportunity to engage the locker with one wheel on the axle spinning madly with the power on. This will cause the auto locking mechanism to slam engage which greatly increases chances of a failure. I'm yet to see someone engage a manual hub while the wheel is spinning so they are not subject to the same shock loads that an auto locking hub might endure. Just be sensible when you engage the locker and you will have no problems.

Cheers,
Ah yes well put.
The only time i have ever though the auto hubs were in trouble was when I did a little bit of a roll back start then boot it on a steep hill climb. The roll back unlocks the hubs then they grab and lock in again but with a lot of torque loading. There was a bit of a gggrrrrrr-clunk noise and they locked in without any damage.
But like Overboard said, if I had a wheel spinning in the air and one gripping on the rocks then hit the air locker switch, the hubs might not have liked it at all.
AVM aftermarket hubs despite the advertising are not as strong as factory hubs, so don't bother with them.

I use mine in Auto mode most of the time except when I think I am going to give it a hard time, in which case, I jump out with the spanner that lives in the door pocket and lock-em-in for some fun.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
I'm betting ARB are saying that just to get you to buy there piss weak AVM hubs. Don't fall for that crap mate I ran auto hubs on my old comp truck running 42s and TJM air lockers. I broke a couple of CVs but never broke an auto hub.

I also have auto hubs and TJM lockers in my GU and have so for the 5 years I've owned and never blown a hub. I never lock them in either although I did on my comp truck.

Cheers Mick

·
Registered
nissan
49 Posts
I'm running a LOKKA and found the auto hubs gave me excellent steering in 4WD when in auto mode, but
the opportunity to engage the locker with one wheel on the axle spinning madly with the power on. This will cause the auto locking mechanism to slam engage which greatly increases chances of a failure. [/QUOTE said:
I have now killed one hub(at the same time as killing a CV) and unless manually locked they are hit and miss on wether they lock in or not, or unlock.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
I'm running a LOKKA and found the auto hubs gave me excellent steering in 4WD when in auto mode, but

I have now killed one hub(at the same time as killing a CV) and unless manually locked they are hit and miss on wether they lock in or not, or unlock.
When I was researching a Lokka for mine some years ago (which I never did, still have my 14 year old auto hubs and they still work bloody marvelous) the experiences and feedback I mainly got was that the auto's were reluctant to unlock sometimes, even reversing for some distance, I've never heard of any other issues.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
I had dual Airlockers virtually from new to 104,000km (wrote the truck off) and I never once touched the hubs, I left them in auto all the time. No problems at all.

I never engaged a locker with the drivetrain under load, if you do that you are asking for trouble. You can switch a locker in when rolling, but the best approach is to learn to pick the terrain in advance and engage the locker(s) before you need them.

The only real risk with auto hubs left in auto mode is if you are hard on the gas and you lift a front wheel; the hub can disengage in the air and when it comes down it is subject to a pretty brutal shock loading. I certainly did that quite a few times and got away with it, but it is definitely a risk.

Oh and no aftermarket hub (that us mere mortals can afford) is as strong as the factory Nissan hubs. Worse case scenario, buy a spare OEM hub and keep it - and the tools needed to change it - in the truck.

·
Registered
Nissan
92 Posts
Just clarifying

Okay so I just want to get this right.

I just purchased a front e locker from Harrop. Same song and dance about getting AVM hubs to change from Auto hubs to Manual.

So driving normally leave them in Auto.
Driving through Mud and bush leave them in auto (with 4wd selected).
Driving up or down a steep hill or up rocks put them into Manual and engage the e locker before you start.

If I find myself in the sh*t and I haven't put the e locker on and haven't changed the hubs to manual can I stop and change them , then take off?

Cheers Ed.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,066 Posts
If I find myself in the sh*t and I haven't put the e locker on and haven't changed the hubs to manual can I stop and change them , then take off?

Cheers Ed.
Sure. If you had manual hubs you would have to stop to lock them anyway.

The usual time I lock the hubs to manual is if I am wanting to repeatedly change from forward to reverse and back to get out of a decent bog. The only other times the front hubs have been locked is on the OTT or in the deserts. Changing back and forth between forwards and reverse repeatedly unlocks and locks the hubs under load which can be tough on them.

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan
49 Posts
geeyoutoo said:
feedback I mainly got was that the auto's were reluctant to unlock sometimes, even reversing for some distance, I've never heard of any other issues.

Prior to the incident that killed the Hub and CV (hubs in auto) I never had a problem in the previous 2 years of abuse. Did have to reverse for about 10m to unlock after being in LR.

And when I say killed I don't mean 'Chernobyl' like you see Landruiser ones do with the insides on the outsides I just mean wouldn't lock in even when manually locked.
pulled it apart but didn't really know what I was looking for and nothing stood out as broken either.

Locked into manual these things are as strong as they come

1 - 13 of 13 Posts