Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I just got a 1999 GU Wagon 4.5 Petrol with Automatic Transmission and 81.000 km on it, and there´s something bothering me, the AT is making the gear changes at around 4200 rpm even though according to the tach the redline starts at 5.100 rpm.

While driving in the city is no problem, but driving uphill is a pain since the gear change apparently is done too soon, the new gear starts at aroun 2.300-2400 rpm, obviusly with very little power left, it starts to slow down and I have to take my foot of the gas and press it again in order for the AT to go the previus gear to gain speed again.

1. Is this normal?
2. What controls the gear change in this AT? an ECU?

Tks for the help.

Lechat

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've got the exact same problem in my 99 4.5 auto. Its really frustrating. I've tried asking on here before but have not had any luck. Maybe this time......

I pretty much gave up cos i don't want to take it to Nissan and cop the bill. I spoke to an auto tranny bloke and the trans is controlled by a TCU, with various inputs to help it do its thing. My only real thought, is that the throttle position sensor could be shagged, but at the same time i'd expect other issues to present. I haven't check this yet but it can be done with two people and a multimeter.

Keep us posted Lechat, i'd be keen to sort this one out.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
An option is to control the gear changes manually

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
18 Posts
maybe disconect the battery for the auto ecu to loose its memory, and reconect after 20 mins, and take it for a drive to re learn to ur driving style? maybe the other owner was a softy on the go pedal?

cheers blake.

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
18 Posts
just disconect the main battery it is the power for the whole electrical system

·
Registered
238 Posts
The at control unit is inside one of the passenger or drivers side kick panels. Drivers i think ie, to the right of the pedals.

I'm sure that when i did my stater motor a few months back i had my battery disconnected all night, and the problems still there.

Have you had the same problem blake? and did this fix it?

Cheers

·
S.W.A.T.
nissan
661 Posts
Most likely a bumb statement but is the A/T button (right hand side of shifter) on power mode or on A/T mode (set in middle)??

Matt

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mines set on power, i always drive with it there because the sift points and shifts themselves are better, IMO.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anybody has had any luck with disconnecting the battery for a while? Is the ECU programmable?

Tks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There´s no power button on this version, I have the Overdrive button instead. Tried disconnecting the battery, no luck....:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts