Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
As everyone says I've had the truck for a while now and its about time I finally put something up.
I bought it about 2 years ago and it was my first 'real' 4WD. (also own a Paj)

Didnt do anything to it at all for over a year and a half.
It came like this:

Its a 1990 TB42 Auto with 32" Bighorns, sagged 2" Pedders, UHF, ARB bar, extractors + aftermarket exhaust (cant remember what size). ummm... thats about it really.

Not long after I bought it I had to spend over $1000 getting it fixed up as it was cutting out. The engine would just die while I was driving it over and over, got very scary.
So took it to On Track here in Logan and they mutilated her. Was in the workshop for over 6 weeks. Got her back 3 times claiming the problem was fixed and every time I had to send it back. Long story short they took everything out and had no clue and left me high and dry after handing over $800.

I took it to the Diesel Shop in Browns Plains and they were good guys (at first). Chris got on the phone and went nuts and On Track telling them what the problem was (he diagnosed it as a faulty brake booster instantly) and asked them if they were gonna fix it, they declined.
So handed over another $800 to DS and problem was fixed :D YAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!

Went back to On Track and got $200 for the dizzy they put in after ripping my old one out. DS put my old one back in as it had nothing wrong with it.

I would later have to go back to DS and handed over $1200 for them to re-wire the shorty because of an electrical fire under the dash while out at glasshouse. They claimed I needed a new engine (they conveniently had one sitting there). So I took it somewhere else to get it tested and came back all good. Simply changed the fuel I was using and all my problems were solved. Needless to say I won't be going back to DS.

It stayed this way for well over 18 months. Seemed to do the job I needed it to do. The only thing I changed was I took out the rear seats and made it a two seater.

Then I got stuck at glasshouse 3 times, had to be winched out once and snatched out twice. Was not a fun day. So I got together with my good mate Jerry.

And we came up with a plan...

·
Registered
nissan
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We needed lift and tyres. I was set on 35's so we needed to make them fit. We took out the old sagged Pedders 2" and threw in Jerrys 2" Tough Dog adjustable shocks and King springs.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

So now the front is sitting at a true 3".

We didn't have a rear set up so we just threw in some coil spacers to bring it up a little higher.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Rear end suspension will be coming shortly.

·
Registered
nissan
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next was the quarter chop, which was going to be a little tricky because of that dented passanger side for those of you with a keen eye.

But nothing is too hard for Jerry and he attacked it with ferocity of a lion!

And here's just a bit of drunk fun with a 37" Simex.

·
Registered
nissan
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Soooooooooo.... by this stage we were pretty drunk and started googling tyres.
I originally set my sights on 35 bighorns or federals but searching quickly turned to comp tyres as an "I wish".
Saw some Silverstone Xtremes for a GREAT price and vaguely remember announcing that I was getting them like a little schoolgirl.

The next day I placed a set of four new tyres and rims on order for a good price and picked them up a week later.

This is how the shorty stands after all the work has been done:

·
Registered
nissan
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok now that your all up to date with the recent work here is a list of things that I want to try and get done:

Cosmetic issues (eg paint work, minor rust, panels, grille, just a general tidy up).
Rear end suspension (as you can see it doesn't flex much in the a$$ so that needs to be fixed).
Bar work (sliders and a rear bar, front bar needs to go in favour of a smaller set up).
Locker for the front and rear LSD shimmed.

Theyre the main things.

I just want to thank Jerry for doing all the work and turning it into what it is now. I would still be stuck trying to get up this hill right now if it wasn't for all the great work you have done.

Auto,The Springs 4x4 beer oclock hill aug 2012 - YouTube

I can't thank you enough, you have created a weapon and I'm more than happy to share the driving.

FULL credit to you mate.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,205 Posts
I painted my 84 corrola in enamel paint, cost me bout 120 for 4lts of paint and 1ltr of thinners.
Gonna paint the troll in enamel too, for same reason, gonna get stratched up anyway.
used a cheap bunnings compressor with a $40 air kit, came with paint gun, degreaser gun, inflater, and gunstyle plain nozzle.
First time painting and came up alright,a few runs but that was due to me trying to use every last bit of paint and shaking gun with out moving it back and forth, so heap of paint in spot.
And that was in a bright orange. Just asked for orange closest to Dukes of Hazzard Orange.
Will try and put up pic and paint code tomorrow if you like.

Otherwise great write up mate, always thought your rig was brown and silver from avatar, haha.

·
Registered
nissan
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I painted my 84 corrola in enamel paint, cost me bout 120 for 4lts of paint and 1ltr of thinners.
Gonna paint the troll in enamel too, for same reason, gonna get stratched up anyway.
used a cheap bunnings compressor with a $40 air kit, came with paint gun, degreaser gun, inflater, and gunstyle plain nozzle.
First time painting and came up alright,a few runs but that was due to me trying to use every last bit of paint and shaking gun with out moving it back and forth, so heap of paint in spot.
And that was in a bright orange. Just asked for orange closest to Dukes of Hazzard Orange.
Will try and put up pic and paint code tomorrow if you like.

Otherwise great write up mate, always thought your rig was brown and silver from avatar, haha.
Haha yeah was very dusty that day.

Pic would be great and yeh throw up the paint code too. I will give it a go myself one day. Its gonna be alot of work cos the panels all need to be straightened too. But I reckon at that price Ill try it and see.
Did you just paint the outside panels or did you take everything off?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,205 Posts
heres the pic of the car, paint at motherin laws so will try and remember to get code next time I'm there.
Was just a closed door respray, removed rear lights cause they were easy other wise just used lots of tape and newspaper.
Looks ok at distance.
Most probaly do same on patrol, but I am doing similar colours, two tone, bue on top, deep vibrant blue, bit lighter than aussie flag with bottom gun metal grey or charcol, similar two tone to newer GQ's where it drops down bottom of doors.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,205 Posts
here pic after painting, still masked up, though when i do patrol will most prob pull of locks, they suck to tape up, plus front grill and bull bar and rear bar etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,205 Posts
took about two days sanding but that was due to old dodgy painting i did with spray cans and no sanding, so had to get all old paint off as it was flaking rear bad.
bout two days painting, but only really did two light coats, think would need maybe 8ltr for my lwb wagon to be safe.
Most of time painting was waiting for coats to dry a bit.
think be possible to strip and sand over weekend and paint at night ater work, but thats just my thoughts, Soggy Sao has just painted his car the same way, check out his build thread, most probaly best way to do it quickly, plus he has some good pics. Will be doing similar to him, but also pulling of bars.

·
Registered
Nissan
373 Posts
Good write up mate, definitely a capable rig. Was good fun out at the springs :)
If you did the prep work on it, it shouldn't be too hard to get a painter to do a cashie for you. A least that way it should look half decent off the gun. Would be good to watch to pick up some pointers too for the future if you decide to have another crack at it/change colour/find a tree...

·
Registered
nissan
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks SB, yeah im really considering just doing it hey. I think after I sort out the rear end Ill start a bit of prep work here and there and just chip away at it over a few weekends. Im not ashamed to drive around a bare metal truck haha. If need be I will just have to drive the Pajero...

·
Registered
nissan
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright so as you know I searching for rear end suspension to replace the "oh so flexy" rear I already have........ :rolleyes:

I have priced up a few things and need some advice on which way to go. Looking at 3in for the rear as the front is currently sitting at just over 3in. Being a SWB a 3in will probably bring it up over 4in but i dont mind in the rear.

Now here are the options..

Springs (set of 2)

Kings: $200
Tough Dog: $320
Dobinson: $220
Flexy: $375

Shocks (set of 2)
EFS: $255
Tough Dog: $275
Dobinsons: $130
Suspension Stuff monotube: $350

Then theres the Amada Xtreme shocks for $285.

Sooooooo..... I am currently running Kings and Tough Dog adjustables in the front. So theres the option to make the front same as rear.

Dobinsons seem really cheap, but that could come back and bite me so I think I will steer clear of Dobinsons.

I'm after flex so which combination would you go for? I dont want cheap nasty stuff but I dont want to spend a fortune either. I realise that you get what you pay for which is why Dobinsons are pretty much out.
Flexys and Sus Stuff shocks are an option but that price is very high. Someone may be able to convince me to fork out that money though ;)

What do you think?

1 - 20 of 231 Posts