Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as the title says my temp gauge for the trans indicates that it gets very hot when I'm pulling my van, up hill 125C+ and rising. I have a 4L80 E gearbox attached to a Chev 6.5 and I know that the electronic gearbox shuts itself down at 130C. I have installed a further trans cooller and even though it dropped the temp a bit the same thing is happening, but slightly slower. Any hints of what my next step could be to help cool this? Is ok (just) when car is not towing.
Thanks guys
Ian

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
Have a good read as these titles may help you.

Transmission Overheating

1.Main control assembly gaskets damaged or bolt out of torque.
2.Main control separator plate damaged.
3.Main control solenoid stuck or damaged.
4.Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
5.Seized torque converter one-way clutch.
6.Excessive slip.
7.Restriction in oil cooler or tubes.
8.Improper band/clutch application pressures
Automatic Transmission overheating - 4x4 Earth

Gearbox Overheating @ ExplorOz Forum

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/general-patrol-discussion-17/gearbox-overheating-51234/

Outer Limits 4x4 Board • View topic - disco's gearbox overheating

Good luck,

·
Registered
328 Posts
Are you continuing to use the trans heater (I refuse to call it a trans cooler) in the radiator?
As an example: My GQ petrol auto with 2 front mounted trans coolers and having deleted the ones in the radiator has cruising temps with my single axle Galaxy caravan in tow of around 50C. That is with a manual lock up switch on the torque convertor and towing in 3rd gear.
With the torque convertor unlocked going up hills the maximum temps I see are around 90C.
Regards Andrew.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts