Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

If anyone is interested here is how to wire an AUX input into a 08 CRD GU Patrol factory stereo with a cassette player.

1. Turn off car.

2. Remove the cover from around the stereo, (pry it up from the bottom and gently work your way around untill it pops off. (don't yank it off, there are wires connected to it)

3. Undo the 4 screws securing the stereo.

4. Slide out the stereo and disconnect the plugs at the back.

5. Remove all the small screws from the outside of the stereo case. (you may not need to undo all the screws but i did and it wasn't a problem).

6) The top and bottom covers should now pry off.

7. Remove the front face. Be careful not to brake the plastic tabs that hold it in place. Also make sure you pull it off straight or the pins in the plug connections behind it will bend.

8. Undo the screws holding the CD player and carefully pull out the white wire ribbon. ( i found it easier to pull the ribbon from the rest off the stereo and leave it connected to the CD player)

9. Remove the CD player.

10. Undo the 4 screws securing the cassette player.

11. Lift the cassette player out straight or it will bend the pins in the connections.

12. On the back of the cassette player there is a circuit board with a heap of connections. you only need to worry about the terminals labelled L-CH, R-CH and GROUND.

13. Get a good quality AUX cable. (the type that plugs one end into an MP3 player headphone socket and the other into an AUX input)

14. Cut off one end of the cable and strip back about 2 inches of the insulation.

15. There will be a red wire covered with a wire shield and a white wire covered in a wire shield. Pull the shield off both wires and twist both the shields together making one. now strip back about 3mm of insulation off the red and white wires.

16. Get some small heat shrink and cover the joined shields, there should be no exposed wires except for about 3mm at the end of the coloured wires and shield.

17. With a soldering iron apply a small amount of solder the the wire ends and shield.

18. You will now need to identify were you want the cable to run out the stereo, i fed it through one of the holes in the back right corner in the top cover.

19. Solder the red wire to the terminal marked L-CH, solder the white wire to the terminal marked R-CH and solder the shield the the terminal marked GROUND. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T SHORT THE WIRES TO ANY OTHER TERMINAL.

20. Cover the soldered terminals with a bit of silicone or glue from a hot glue gun.

21. Put everything back together making sure you don't bend any pins on the connections. i also put a small zip tie around the AUX cable so it wouldn't be pulled out.

22. I drilled a small hole in the small storage above the stereo and ran the AUX cable through there so it was hidden but its up to you.

23. Once everything is back together you need to find an old cassette (this was the hardest part) pull all the tape out of the cassette. It will need the gutted cassette to trick the stereo.

22. Put the cassette in the player, plug in your MP3 and select cassette, you should now be listening to digital quality music through the cassette player.

NOTE: make sure all the solder connections are quality and not shorting to any other terminal, make sure all the plug and ribbon connections are secure.

This mod will void your stereo warranty.

cheers

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
or you can jump on ebay and buy one of those aux input cassettes that do the same thing but without all the steps.

1. put the cassette into the unit.
2. plug the cable into the mp3 player.
3. enjoy.

see! :)

TF

·
Premium Member
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,023 Posts
The way the over the counter option works is to send the digital signal to the amplifier via the cassette heads, where sound quality is markedly decreased. Same thing as people used to use to send their Discman signals to their head unit.

Kiggsy actually takes the signal straight in - bypassing the cassette heads and going directly to where they would normally send their output signal from the analog tape. A gutted cassette is inserted which physically engages the drive and reading hardware, and this in turn tells the head unit to read the input signal from what it thinks is the cassette.

A cassette will still play normally in the system too, as that side of things is untouched.

That's an awesome mod, Kiggsy, thanks for taking the time to write it up. On Territorys there is an AUX-in plug under the dash, a dealer option (or ebay) kit containing the necessary wiring harness and jack-MP3 player lead, and a hole at the back of a storage pocket ready to accept the input jack. Very tidy system (typical of Territory) and should be available for all cars these days.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
TF, and they sound like total poo!
Yeh i guess your right. . . definately sound better than a cassette though.

This IS a great mod, just a lengthy one. Personally i thing i'd just use it as an excuse to go buy a new head unit with aux out! haha. But that's probably just because i'm a slackar!

TF

·
Registered
238 Posts
Great job mate,

I've been trying to figure this one out for a while but never got too serious with it. Will be doing it over the holidays, assuming that my 99 is similar. Will post back and try to get some pics

Cheers

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for this excellent write up. I just made this mod to my 2003 ST and it works perfectly. I installed a 3.5mm jack socket in the switch blank next to the antenna switch.

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I just brought an 05 TI with the six stacker, and didn't want to mess with the factory setup and steering wheel controls, so. I opened it up by pulling off the faceplate and then the bottom plate, then only four screws for the cassette. It was as easy as brushing your teeth. Bloody sensational!!

·
Registered
nissan
386 Posts
Where did I go wrong? Advice please.

Hi Peeps,
I've been wanting to do this little mod for ages and today I thought I'd give it a crack.
I followed the instructions above on how to solder in an AUX plug into the stock radio stereo cassette CD player. Unfortunately, when testing it, it sounds real scratchy and crap. If I play a normal cassette, it sounds fine. So I'm wondering what I've done wrong.
When I soldered the wires I have to admit that the old eyesight is not as good as it used to be hence the soldering quality may not be as good as I think they are.
I took a few photos of before and after soldering the wires in.
Could someone please check it out and see where I might have stuffed things up. Have I got the right points? The original instructions say to only connect to L, R and GROUND. Have I got the right ground? (GND)See photos.
Any troubleshooting tips appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Trev.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,028 Posts
the issue is whether you have soldered to amplified outputs or to a line out (no induced gain)

both of the above outputs will have different ohm ratings as well as some degree of gain

is the earth connection going to the chassis?

·
Registered
nissan
386 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea what you are talking about. lol.
I tried to follow the instructions in post #1 as closely as possible. I can only guess that the points I have connected to are the right ones.

·
Registered
nissan
386 Posts
Can I solder directly onto the copper-colored dots on the cicuit board.. the ones next to the circuit names? I might find it easier thats all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts