Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be getting an awning soon.
Going to be fitted to a 4wdsupacrap tradesman rack. On a GU.

What size are people fitting and what do they look like on (pics be great)?

Wanting it to stick out at least 2.5m. Just can’t decide if I want the 2m or the 2.5. As the 2.5 will be longer than the rack.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,448 Posts

·
nissan patrol
15,448 Posts
If you had used one of these things you would know that bigger is better. Get the 2.5m one.

Some pics of a 3mx3m awning;

Have you ever had it snag on anything, sticking out like that?

What length is your rack?

Trying to make up my mind to go for 3/4 (180cm) of full (220cm). Wont be carrying much on it, just lights, awning, solar and the odd load from bunnings.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Odd load from Bunnings is why I am going the tradsmans rack. Sick of moving everything to get trailer out. Of yard.
And my car lives outside at the moment anyway. So don’t have to worry about being to tall.

I do agree with bigger is better. I just had concerns with the overhangs and catching stuff. But if yours is a 3x3. Then I no have no concern with a 2.5m awning.

3m our from the car would be awesome though. Wouldn’t need a wall if raining and the swags would hardly get any splash.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
nissan
6,209 Posts
The best of the wing style awnings that I've seen is the 30 Second Awning. 30 Second Wing Awning

Have you ever had it snag on anything, sticking out like that?
It occasionally grabs a bunch of leaves or a few twigs but usually most of the stuff poking out that far is pretty flimsy. Nothing has ever damaged it but I am mindful that it is there.

What length is your rack?

Trying to make up my mind to go for 3/4 (180cm) of full (220cm). Wont be carrying much on it, just lights, awning, solar and the odd load from bunnings.
My rack is a normal 2.2m full length tradesman rack

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
18,808 Posts
I had a 4sc tradie rack on my car for a bit.. the 2x3m one is a perfect fit if you don't want any over hang..

Now that i have pissed the rack off and got roof racks i'd probably go the 2.5x2.5m that way I can run the swag along the length of the car and be fully covered.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,375 Posts
I've got the 2.5 x 3m awning on the side and the 1.5 x 2m on the back.
Works sweet for my purposes.
Running from the back of the car to a bit past the front door I can still open the door when the side wall is on.

ZD30 rules the road.

·
Registered
nissan
6,209 Posts
I've got the 2.5 x 3m awning on the side and the 1.5 x 2m on the back.
I don't think that Adventure Kings (or anyone else I could find) do a 2.5mx3m awning. I think you have to choose between a 2.5mx2.5m and a 2mx3m one which are both the same price.

I found there is (just) enough space in the vinyl cover to fit the extension wall wrapped up with the awning so I just leave it there all the time and have put a couple of clips on the main awning to hold the extension in place when it is not being used. The poles, ropes and pegs live behind the back seat.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,375 Posts
I don't think that Adventure Kings (or anyone else I could find) do a 2.5mx3m awning. I think you have to choose between a 2.5mx2.5m and a 2mx3m one which are both the same price.

I found there is (just) enough space in the vinyl cover to fit the extension wall wrapped up with the awning so I just leave it there all the time and have put a couple of clips on the main awning to hold the extension in place when it is not being used. The poles, ropes and pegs live behind the back seat.

Yes I have officially lost the plot. 2nd time in a week I have gotten my awning sizes wrong. Just went outside and set it up. 2.5 x 2.5.

ZD30 rules the road.

·
nissan patrol
15,448 Posts
The best of the wing style awnings that I've seen is the 30 Second Awning. 30 Second Wing Awning

It occasionally grabs a bunch of leaves or a few twigs but usually most of the stuff poking out that far is pretty flimsy. Nothing has ever damaged it but I am mindful that it is there.

My rack is a normal 2.2m full length tradesman rack
I like the 30sec, but one pole, never going to happen on the west coast, sea breeze on most days would rip it off. Still, noting that does not have to be done with the Darche anyway, and I like the fact that on still days you can just run it out with no poles.

Length would be an issue though, 2.7mts long when folded, damn ...

I can see the bonus in the full length, but at just 0.4mts shorter at 1.8mt the 3/4 is good for me I think.

I would strap a few longer items as bunning aint that far from the house, but I also want to put a light bar up there as I want some down light to show up gullies on beaches at night. With a full length I cant move the light back far enough to prevent bonnet glare. The Darche 270deg is also 2.2mts long, so 100cms out the back and 300 out the front is not so bad.

The problem with both is thickness, they are 200cm think when stowed !!! A lot of over hang of the vehicle with a standard rack.

I may have to get a custom rack...

Cheers.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your assistance guys very helpful.
Still undecided if I will get 2.5m X 2.5m or just the 2m one. They do look to over hang a lot. But I do still want to make sure I can get ample shade.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,761 Posts
These are ok for price.got a 2.5 x 3 on work trailer- would have been set.up and packed away 300 times in last 2 years.slight fading. Still waterproof.awning/tent on twincab works well.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 Nissan Patrol GU3 ZD30DI wagon
83 Posts
If you had used one of these things you would know that bigger is better. Get the 2.5m one.

Some pics of a 3mx3m awning;

Thanks @Overboard for posting such good pictures - I have no experience with awnings and this will be my first purchase. A 3mX3m is what I wanted but all the reviews only ever talk about variations on the 2m/2.5m awnings, never a 3x3. Seeing how it is on your Patrol, has decided me - I'm going to buy an OCAM 4x4 3mX3m (they are a 280gm fabric which is much thicker than most other brands, look to be good quality, and are on special at the moment at $230). Stephen

·
Registered
83 Posts
As I said in my post to @Overboard I was all fired up to buy my 3x3 awning and went off to buy it, except, when I got there and had a practice run to set it up, found out just how big, and difficult to set up, a 3x3 awning really is, so didn't. I generally travel alone, so am now wondering, is a 3x3 awning just too big for one person to easily set up, or is it just my inexperience that made it virtually impossible? Does anyone out in Patrol4x4 land set up a 3x3 awning on their own regularly, so can advise me? Thanks, Stephen

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mines a 2.5m x 2m (2m our from the car).
I find I can set it up myself. But any wind around it’s pretty hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts

Thanks @turps That adds another dimension to the set up I hadn't considered - wind. The 3x3 idea is looking less and less attainable, at the moment.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,101 Posts

Same as mine, sometimes struggle on my own, don't think there is any real need for anything larger.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts