Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2010 GU DX CRD Grenade :)
526 Posts
Depends how long your arms are. I have a 2.5long x 2out same as above, which I don't find too bad.

The easiest way I've found to do it myself is roll it out, obviously, then do the legs on the end of the awning, then lean the top back into the car and do the top poles one at a time. Pack up is basically the reverse, but let the awning hang down and take its own weight so it rolls up evenly.

It is a lot easier with 2 people, but looking at the length along the car a 2.5long seems to fit better...

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
1,869 Posts
Mine is 2.5m along the car x 3m out. It's alright to put up solo, but as above any wind makes it a pita. Good amount of space for a solo traveller.

Depending on the awning you get, a few easy mods can make it a lot more flexible not to mention easier to use.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Same as mine, sometimes struggle on my own, don't think there is any real need for anything larger.
Only thing I haven’t found that would be handy. Is a cheap awning tent.

I thought when I rolled mine out. It was to small. But my walls are from supercrap. And they come out at an angle. Gives just that little extra needed for the swag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
1,869 Posts
I bought a couple of tarps, and had sail tape sewed to two sides of each (one short and one long side).

Gives me lots of options, especially when I went camping with a mate who had an almost identical setup.

·
Registered
2002 Nissan Patrol GU3 ZD30DI wagon
83 Posts
Thanks @turps @geeyoutoo @bods & @dkril for your replies - much appreciated. Given everything that has been said, I suspect I'll look for a 2.5x2.5 and see how well I do with that. If I get the hang of it, then I can look to go bigger if I still want. Stephen

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If I have time over the next couple of days. I will try to pull mine out. And lay my swag under it. So you get an idea.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If I have time over the next couple of days. I will try to pull mine out. And lay my swag under it. So you get an idea.

If you can get around to doing that sometime @turps it would be great. One of the main reasons for my wanting the 3x3, was to give more protection for my swag. Seeing how your 2.5x2.5 works with a swag would be helpful.

·
Registered
nissan
6,209 Posts
I can't see what's good about them. First problem is that you can't set them up without an awning so if it is a camp ground with a carpark segregated from the camp area you will be setting up the tent in the carpark. Second problem is going for a drive after you've set up the tent. Sure you can unclip the tent from the awning and let it drop to the ground until you come back later but getting your car back in exactly the same spot is not as easy as it sounds and just hope it doesn't rain while you are away. The third thing is that once there is a tent attached to the awning you have no awning area outside the tent. Best to keep the awning as an awning and have the tent separate.

·
Registered
nissan
6,209 Posts
Does anyone out in Patrol4x4 land set up a 3x3 awning on their own regularly, so can advise me?
It is pretty much impossible to do on your own with a stiff breeze but I set mine up on my own all the time and this is my procedure.
1 Unzip cover, grab awning and throw the whole roll back on top of the roof rack.
2 Swing the side bars right out past where they go and adjust to approximate length and let them hang in fresh air.
3 Unroll the awning and let the end extrusion sit on the ground at one end while pulling out the leg on the other end.
4 Adjust the fist leg to about waist to chest height and fit the side bar to that side and stretch it out tight.
5 If there is any breeze put a peg through the foot of the first pole and reposition later (see note)
6 Lift the other side of the end extrusion, set the leg to about chest height and fit the side bar and tighten.
7 Put a peg through the second foot if breezy (see note)
8 Adjust both sides to full height and adjust the position of the feet.
Note: I have put feet like this on the ends of my upright poles so that you can pin them to the ground avoiding the use of guy ropes in all but the windiest of conditions.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It is pretty much impossible to do on your own with a stiff breeze but I set mine up on my own all the time and this is my procedure.
1 Unzip cover, grab awning and throw the whole roll back on top of the roof rack.
2 Swing the side bars right out past where they go and adjust to approximate length and let them hang in fresh air.
3 Unroll the awning and let the end extrusion sit on the ground at one end while pulling out the leg on the other end.
4 Adjust the fist leg to about waist to chest height and fit the side bar to that side and stretch it out tight.
5 If there is any breeze put a peg through the foot of the first pole and reposition later (see note)
6 Lift the other side of the end extrusion, set the leg to about chest height and fit the side bar and tighten.
7 Put a peg through the second foot if breezy (see note)
8 Adjust both sides to full height and adjust the position of the feet.
Note: I have put feet like this on the ends of my upright poles so that you can pin them to the ground avoiding the use of guy ropes in all but the windiest of conditions.

View attachment 517349

View attachment 517348
Thank you @Overboard - a great description! I'm guessing the two fittings you have included at the end of your notes are boat fittings (I'm thinking I have seen similar on a friends boat canopy)? Stephen

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts
Thank you @Overboard - a great description! I'm guessing the two fittings you have included at the end of your notes are boat fittings (I'm thinking I have seen similar on a friends boat canopy)? Stephen
Yes, you can get them from BFC, Whitworths, etc

·
Registered
9,302 Posts

I thought when I rolled mine out. It was to small. But my walls are from supercrap. And they come out at an angle. Gives just that little extra needed for the swag.

Where are you? I have an awning tent I might sell in Perth. Have to check with my son first that he's not going to take it. But if he doesn't then it's up for sale. New unused as it just didn't suit the pole arrangement of my wing awning as it doesn't have parallel poles. I'll dig it out on the weekend.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Where are you? I have an awning tent I might sell in Perth. Have to check with my son first that he's not going to take it. But if he doesn't then it's up for sale. New unused as it just didn't suit the pole arrangement of my wing awning as it doesn't have parallel poles. I'll dig it out on the weekend.
In Vic.
Would love to be able to do pickup. But would take a minimum of 4weeks to get there. Due to both states having mandatory quarantine

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
In Vic.
Would love to be able to do pickup. But would take a minimum of 4weeks to get there. Due to both states having mandatory quarantine

Ah bit far and we are cut off completely now. At least that made me think of another thing to find and pull out of the shed. I am gradually cleaning out and selling bit by bit any extra gear that I have not used. Tried to sell my camper trailer and thinking that before Easter was looking good timing, but no body seems to want to go camping trips at the moment.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts