Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
17,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you prob know im in the process of getting a Nookee camper made and will most likely fit an awning to the camper..
I was also thinking about getting an awning tent incase we get the odd wet day so we have some where to sit and get changed.
Was looking at Kings or XTM and was just wondering if anyone as any experience with them?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
nissan
531 Posts
I havn't had any experience with the XTM gear but I know the kings stuff is sun par compared to Darche.
Are they around the same price?

·
17,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kings are slightly cheaper..

·
Registered
nissan
936 Posts
Have an ARB version we've used a dozen or so times. I've found a spreader bar side to side and an extra upright each side useful to support the awning with wind and rain. Other than that not a bad jigger.

Reactions: 45/70

·
17,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking of using the ironman quick detatch mounts as well..spensive..But look the goods.

·
Registered
nissan
936 Posts
Just checked them out, look good alright..

Reactions: 45/70

·
Registered
2013 Patrol Y61 DX EX Telstra service body
113 Posts
We used a kings awning tent when we done the CSR & GRR. Loved it but use the CT these days. Youngest son has it now & still going. Mate thought we would be divorced after the first night putting it up, but we very quickly got very good at setup-packup. When you pack up we folded the walls under roof and bought sides into the middle and folded again so it was folded 1/4s longways and rolled it up to back wheel. then when setting up put it down at back wheel and roll out it will always be the right way when you lift it up to awning, if you understand what I mean.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,036 Posts
We used a kings awning tent when we done the CSR & GRR. Loved it
You are the first person I've heard that says they love their awning tent. Most people I've spoken to that have owned one change their tent style within the first year of ownership. I hear two major complaints about them. The first is that when the tent is up you have no awning space for cooking and dining etc, and the second is that when you are camped in the same location for a few days you either need to pack them away completely each time you leave camp, or if you just detach them and come back later you need to park with absolute precision in exactly the same spot to reattach them.

·
Registered
nissan
975 Posts
I have a Rhino Rack/Oztent awning tent and I wouldn't recommend it. Seemed like a good idea at the time but it hasn't been a success for me. Anything attached to your vehicle ends up a poor compromise IMHO, with the possible exception of a hardshell RTT. I ended up buying a standalone Oztent RV-3 which I'm much happier with.

·
17,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I get one it will be attached to my camper not my vehicle..I do like the look of the oztent one jezza, the clips are a better idea than velcro and they look to be fairly quick to put up and down..

Reactions: Haggie

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,036 Posts
As most of you prob know im in the process of getting a Nookee camper made and will most likely fit an awning to the camper..
I wasn't familiar with the Nookee before reading this post so I did some research. I agree that a traditional roll out awning as displayed by www.dieseldogcamping.com.au would be a much better addition than the awning sail the manufacturer sells. The sail seems over priced and under sized and would barely give adequate shelter even in a light shower to two people sitting at a camp table.

I still have my doubts about the awning tent even though you won't use it for much more than a change room. Most awnings do a bad job of shedding water during rain unless at least one leg is lowered quite a bit and having a tent hanging underneath the awning makes this a bit of a problem. I think Jezza's strategy of a standalone quick erect tent a better idea.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You are the first person I've heard that says they love their awning tent. Most people I've spoken to that have owned one change their tent style within the first year of ownership. I hear two major complaints about them. The first is that when the tent is up you have no awning space for cooking and dining etc, and the second is that when you are camped in the same location for a few days you either need to pack them away completely each time you leave camp, or if you just detach them and come back later you need to park with absolute precision in exactly the same spot to reattach them.
Mate the weather was mostly outstanding that trip and we hardly ever pegged the awning tent so was just a matter of moving it slightly to get it in the right spot when we were camped for more than a night. Also we had no trouble with flies which a lot won't believe, that was May,June & July 2017

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,036 Posts
Mate the weather was mostly outstanding that trip and we hardly ever pegged the awning tent so was just a matter of moving it slightly to get it in the right spot when we were camped for more than a night. Also we had no trouble with flies which a lot won't believe, that was May,June & July 2017
What about other trips you have done with it? How did it perform in rain? What did you do for shade when the tent was attached?

Flies seem to be far more of a problem during the summer and those people that have school age kids are largely restricted to their major holidays being at that time of year but those that can take holidays during the cooler months have much less grief from flies, even in the Kimberly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
we had an awning on both sides of vehicle. never been any where with it in the rain. we have a CT as well only used the awning tent for trips like CSR, where we didn't want to tow. We're into our retirement years so can travel at our leisure these days

·
17,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im also running an awning on my ute so shade wont be a problem.

·
17,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey @Overboard ..See Anaconda have their own brand of tent that attatches to an existing awning..It's called a Dune 4wd 2m awning tent. Will try find a pic. They retail for $350.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,036 Posts
I just had a look at the Dune, "Awning Tent" and it is markedly different to the typical awning tent as it may be free standing and doesn't require the use of an awning as long as you can pop in a couple of poles. It looks fine to me and still leaves the area under the awning free for other use.

·
17,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im going to have a look at one at anaconda on the weekend..Will try and get some more pics. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts