Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wouldn't mind an awning but don't need or want a heavy roof rack at the moment and I still want the truck to fit in the garage. Has anyone installed an awning without a roof rack? They are great when you are on the beach!

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu7 st crd 3ltr
9 Posts
G'Day brads03gu, I'v put nissan bars on and made my own brackets up so it all fitted flush. Didnt want them to high. Could send you some pics if you would like.

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
I'm in the same situation.. I have no use for roof racks yet, but love the idea of the side awnings..

Some pics would be great if there are any out there :D

Cheers

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Alluminium racks weigh no more than 5kg dude.
i have a full alluminium TJM cage rack that wouldnt weigh more than 12kg's and thats prolly way more that it actually is.

So Unless you wanna bolt through ya roof,
i dont see how you'll acieve shade on your beach bro without a rack of some sort!

Rola make a low sporty rack, to help you with your height issues,
thule have a low one too.
Pretty sure Rhino are too high n heavy duty for your application.

Just ttake into considerration your roof gutters are lower that the top of your roof,
and you can get legs of all differring sizes if all you need it the single bar type.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu7 st crd 3ltr
9 Posts
Will get some up asap "The trout hunter".

·
Creepy Lurker
nissan
542 Posts
Pretty sure Rhino are too high n heavy duty for your application.
Rhino make sportz bars which are fairly low profile, that's what is on mine, about 110mm leg height. I want to change to the heavy duty ones eventually but at the moment it fits in the garage with these on.

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick replys guys! Yer I will look into the rhino sports bars, sounds like a good idea. 110 mm is bugger all too so that should work.
Any pics of anyones would give me a good idea too.
Cheers guys!

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
Hey mate. I got the ironman awning and it came with the l brackets.they sliped nicely into the rhino aero bar.i mounted the l brackets upside down so the awning wasnt sticken up above the bars.plus I woundnt b able to reach it.lol.just clears doors on my gq.

Fyi the rear gutter on the gq sits 10mm lower so rhino gave me a packer.not sure if gus are the same.some pics of install in build thread.

Hope this helps

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the pic! They do look neat and low. I think I will price the ironman awning, supplied brackets should make it easy.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
nissan
126 Posts
Hi

BCF have "SHADE RV AWNING DELUXE OZTRAIL DC" on special at the moment. $259 ($90 off) and many sell for $399. I got one last week and mounted to two rhino bars and looks great, no noise and not too high

Ken

·
She's apples
nissan patrol
1,063 Posts
In my pre-4WD days, I used to have UHF antennas attached to my cars with a gutter mount bracket. These sat lower than the roof line and only cost $20 from Dick Smiths. It wouldn't be too hard to drill some holes in the side of it to suit.

Not sure if they are strong enough but they would be great for clearance. Found this one on ebay. I reckon 3/4 of them would do the trick. Heaps cheaper than Rhino bars and they can be taken of in seconds if you want. And if they don't work you haven't wasted heaps of $$$$
PEARCE SIMPSON CB RADIO ANTENNA CAR GUTTER ROOF MOUNT | eBay

·
Registered
nissan
74 Posts
In my pre-4WD days, I used to have UHF antennas attached to my cars with a gutter mount bracket. These sat lower than the roof line and only cost $20 from Dick Smiths. It wouldn't be too hard to drill some holes in the side of it to suit.

Not sure if they are strong enough but they would be great for clearance. Found this one on ebay. I reckon 3/4 of them would do the trick. Heaps cheaper than Rhino bars and they can be taken of in seconds if you want. And if they don't work you haven't wasted heaps of $$$$
PEARCE SIMPSON CB RADIO ANTENNA CAR GUTTER ROOF MOUNT | eBay

A few weeks ago here, I saw coming the other way a Prado that had an awning gutter mounted with what looked like "heavy duty" brackets. No rack or roof bars.
Unfortunately the traffic was coming in both directions, so could not turn around in time to find out more.
A few days later, had a chat with my local 4WD store, told what I had seen and wanted something like it for my Patrol. Their advice was "don't bother, without the support of roof bars or a roof rack the corrugations / off road will shake it off, and the single gutter is not strong enough to support it".
Makes sense, especially up here. Looks like an alloy rack or bars is the only way to go?:rolleyes:

·
Eric the Vigilante
nissan
392 Posts
^^^Those look OK but I would be worried about stress on the gutter over time. At least with gutter mounted roof bars they are braced back to each other, a single gutter clamp with the weight of an awning may bend the gutter?

·
Registered
Nissan D22
129 Posts
Magnets, get some high powered ones. I sowed them into a canvas sheet and made some attachments for tent poles and rope. You only need a few of them for it to work, its quick and easy to roll out, set up and take down.

Plus you dont need roof racks and its a small item to pack up!

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Magnets, get some high powered ones. I sowed them into a canvas sheet and made some attachments for tent poles and rope. You only need a few of them for it to work, its quick and easy to roll out, set up and take down.

Plus you dont need roof racks and its a small item to pack up!
That's a great idea, I have magnets at work that would be plenty strong enough and they are only about 6mm x 10mm a few if them sewed in a small tarp would be perfect.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
A few weeks ago here, I saw coming the other way a Prado that had an awning gutter mounted with what looked like "heavy duty" brackets. No rack or roof bars.
Unfortunately the traffic was coming in both directions, so could not turn around in time to find out more.
A few days later, had a chat with my local 4WD store, told what I had seen and wanted something like it for my Patrol. Their advice was "don't bother, without the support of roof bars or a roof rack the corrugations / off road will shake it off, and the single gutter is not strong enough to support it".
Makes sense, especially up here. Looks like an alloy rack or bars is the only way to go?:rolleyes:
Good advice from them, they are spot on!
The Prado's have factory rails in the roof which HD brackets can bolt into thats why you would have seen no racks.

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Good advice from them, they are spot on!
The Prado's have factory rails in the roof which HD brackets can bolt into thats why you would have seen no racks.
as do the new 200 cruisers. i was scoping them out the other day on mum and dads. neatly concealed under some plastic 'lids'. bloody good idea if you ask me

1 - 20 of 33 Posts