Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 84 lwb MK patrol and i am wondering if there is any way of fitting 2 baby seats in it. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks Brendon

·
Registered
193 Posts
check behind the rear seats actually on the seat ,there should be straps bolted to them, there is on my swb i just unscrewed and removed washer and replaced with baby clip years ago now .

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
No where at all. If you have a deluxe or the 7 seater, you might be right by bolting the baby seat to the old seat belt bolt holes but apart from that nothing.

You can buy a crab bar which allows you to bolt baby seats in, but not sure where to get or a cost.

I had the same trouble, and it's ended in my car for me only, no missus no kids, just me and a esky:p

·
Registered
430 Posts
Crab is the go. I moved mine in my GQ as the things are in the farking middle of the floor. This wasn't such a drama until the boy came along & I had to use the third one.

Check with Kidsafe, they will be able to advise where to go. If you are near Canberra, AUTOCO in Phillp do them.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I would be suprised if the MQ / MK had kids seat mounting bolts. My old 89 NF pajero didnt.

It only became a legal requirement in the late 80's / early 90's

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would be suprised if the MQ / MK had kids seat mounting bolts. My old 89 NF pajero didnt.

It only became a legal requirement in the late 80's / early 90's

1 July 1976 for passenger cars.

1 January 1993 for MC category (most 4WD wagons).

There are other updates but these are the two relevant dates.

·
Registered
nissan
173 Posts
cheack with your local ambulance service or youe equivelant of racq as they fit baby seat in qld

·
Registered
179 Posts
My MK SWB wagon never had them fitted, I made my own, Pulled tank out and Double plated the foor and fitted then in

·
Registered
nissan patrol
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone, thankyou for your comments i didn't think there would be any bolt points as standard, but thought it was worth asking. I will just have to work something out or just dont worry about it and leave the kids at home. Either way i'll sort something out so thanks again Brendon

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
like I said if you have a seven seater with no back seats in, The seat belt bolt holes are perfect to use as, thats what there made for. . if not a crab bar is the only way to go.

·
Registered
nissan
74 Posts
Hey Guys, Not sure if this is a stupid question but why cant you just drill a hole in the floor behind the rear seat and install a hook like this

https://www.babyonabudget.com.au/shop/p-safe-n-sound-anchor-bolt.html

One of these kits came with our car seats, and in the instruction book it says that if your car does not have an anchor point, get out the drill and mount the one supplied yourself.

Not sure about how legal it is, but I know quite a few cars that have had this done, and this is all I was going to do in my SWB MQ.

Just thought I would let you know, but then again the laws could be different over here in the west.

Thanks
Steery

·
Registered
430 Posts
You will more than likely need engineering certification for it. Check with your local registering authority, they will tell you if they accept that.

Personally? No way jose, not enough surface area in that washer for me to guarantee that whatever you bolt it too will hold.

·
Registered
179 Posts
yeah i fitted me own like that one, But on advice from a engineer I plated the floor, stiched welded plate on the bottom of the floor 50cm each side of the bolt, Never pull it out,

·
Registered
nissan
74 Posts
You will more than likely need engineering certification for it. Check with your local registering authority, they will tell you if they accept that.

Personally? No way jose, not enough surface area in that washer for me to guarantee that whatever you bolt it too will hold.

I think the laws in WA are a bit more relaxed in relation to baby seats. Ive never heard of anyone needing to have their mounts inspected by an engineer. We just have authorised car seat fitting centres, but these are just baby shops that sell the stuff. I dont think the girl who looked at ours was an engineer.

I might just do the same as ravo_patrol and just fit a larger more heavy duty washer underneath to make sure its not going anywhere.

Steery

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think the laws in WA are a bit more relaxed in relation to baby seats. Ive never heard of anyone needing to have their mounts inspected by an engineer. We just have authorised car seat fitting centres, but these are just baby shops that sell the stuff. I dont think the girl who looked at ours was an engineer.

I might just do the same as ravo_patrol and just fit a larger more heavy duty washer underneath to make sure its not going anywhere.

Steery
Modify a vehicle

There is a list of what does & doesnt require approval.

In the second list it mentions "Seating and occy protection" & then refers to VSB14.

Cut & paste from VSB14:

1.2 MODIFICATIONS REQUIRING CERTIFICATION UNDER LK CODES
The following modifications require certification under the LK Codes:
 Fitting complying seating to complying seat anchorages;
 Fitting complying seatbelts to complying seatbelt anchorages;
 Fitting complying child restraint anchorages;
 Reduction in Seating Capacity; and
 Fitting roll-bars, roll-cages and other types of ROPS.

LK6 is for child restraints.

Technically the CRAB requires certification as well but it has been around for so long & HAS BEEN TESTED TO THE ADR (sorry for the caps but that is the crucial point) and provided it is fitted to the manufacturers insctuctions then it will comply (provided the local rego guys will accept that).

Now, while the CRA is really only designed to hold the seat rather than the child (that is the seat belts job) I would certailnly be nervous trusting a home fitted jobbie with the life of my child. Testing is the key, the CRA is supposed to hold 3.4kn for no less than one second.

If it has not been tested how do you if it is up to the job?

An enginneering design will probably be the only other way with calculations for strength & torsional load.

·
Registered
430 Posts
P:S: I guess I am over cautious where the safety of my family is involved.... :)

The other thing, fitting the seat/clip & fitting the anchorage are two different things. I think this is getting confused in this thread.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Glad to be of assistance :)

It is a refeshing change here & over at 4WD Monthly. At least you can have a discussion about stuff here without someone slagging you off for the sake of it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts