Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wonder does the RE4 need band adjustment? my car has done nearly 200,000km now. The RE4 is still going strong. But I do find that the reverse is a bit weak ( this was even before I did the engine conversion). If there is a adjustment, anyone can share some details?

·
Registered
nissan
5,149 Posts
There’s an adjustment you do when you rebuild the box but I don’t know of anyone redoing that adjustment during the life of the trans.

it’s outlined in the AT.PDF if you have that otherwise I can look it up.

Found it, it’s a simple procedure..

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure if I need to do the adjustment? The RE4 has done a good job behind the Cummins ( for over 50,000km now and still going strong). However, even before the conversion, I always felt the reverser gear is not that strong even when the the time the car was less than 100,000km. ( this is especially obvious when a caravan attached, so whenever I reverse a bit step uphill with the caravan attached, I always use the low range to protect the reverse gear). I have to say, it has been like that for long time, and it does not getting worse. However, I suspect if this is something to do with the band adjustment? for example, the band has some wear? Or it is just normal for the RE4? Can anyone who has the RE4 share some experiences?

·
Registered
nissan
5,149 Posts
You could mark where it is now, try the adjustment and if it doesn’t feel right go back to where it was.

i always use low with the free wheeling hubs when manoeuvring the caravan. So much less effort.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could mark where it is now, try the adjustment and if it doesn’t feel right go back to where it was.

i always use low with the free wheeling hubs when manoeuvring the caravan. So much less effort.
Thanks John! from the picture, the adjustment is on the top passenger side? Or the photo is just for the illustration only. I will take a look later.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
finally got chance to give this adjustment a try: it is pretty hard to make adjustment since after nearly 200,000km, the adjustment screw ( the inner one) is so hard to turn , it is impossible to get a feel where is the bottom. so I simply made a 3/4 of turn in as a guess given the fact after 200,000km the band has some kind of wear. Note, the car reverse is OK on flat surface. I can only feel the reverse shoulder ( a kind of miss) on a bit step slop back up. And this reverse issues was present before the Cummins engine conversion. Behind the Cummins, this factory RE4 ( has stage valve body, and custom TCU) has done just over 53,000km. Overall, it is still running perfect in all gears ( except the reverse issue I am planning to get a fully built RE4 ( to handle Cummins power and torque) and low stall TC installed in the near future. ) . Meanwhile, Is there anything else to look at? Anything else control the reverse beside the band? The servo? what could be done for the servo?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update: today, I did ATF filter/ sump service. I noticed that the ATF level is a bit lower and this was due to last time I did not top up enough ATF after doing the front cooler. after all service done, the level is perfect. The reverse problem is gone! I am very happy. Also , there is no much wear in the whole system. Look at the picture of the sump. No much around the magnetic ring. 200,000km RE4, behind Cummins 53,000km. I am quiet happy!

Attachments

Reactions: Marko_SJ and JFF45

·
Registered
nissan
5,149 Posts
They’re a good strong trans when they’re well maintained and have a good upgraded valve body.
I have one here I dismantled that has done 326,000 kms. The last 30k behind a LS1. It has some friction wear but was still running when it was removed.

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Crankset Wood Bicycle part

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Bumper

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how hard to dismantle the re4 and re-assemble /rebuild? I have been thinking one day to have a built one if mine is at the end of life. Or may be just diy for my self.

·
Registered
nissan
5,149 Posts
The AT.PDF is very clear and easy to follow if you have some mechanical aptitude.
I have one sitting on a shelf here that I rebuilt years ago with extra clutches in it. I’ve been waiting for the current trans to have issues but I’m thinking now that I’ll probably be too old to drive before that happens :)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I heard that the Re4 auto can get rust if sitting there too long? did you put some ATF inside? also, how to install extra clutches in the drum? will it be too tight and the clutches wear our sooner? Or you buy a custom made drum? I talked to some auto builder, and I was told those drum need to be machined to allow more clutch to be packed in. If possible, I think I will need extra clutches installed for 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear? I think I am going to build one myself. I have a spare unit.
You wont bee too old at all. I had read your td42 built long times ago, and it inspired me to do my own conversion. Thank you!

Reactions: Marko_SJ and JFF45

·
Registered
nissan
5,149 Posts
I made a simple stand to make it easier to work on and I just did the different clutches, etc one at a time and put them in ally trays before reassembly.

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Engineering

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
nissan
5,149 Posts
I heard that the Re4 auto can get rust if sitting there too long? did you put some ATF inside? also, how to install extra clutches in the drum? will it be too tight and the clutches wear our sooner? Or you buy a custom made drum? I talked to some auto builder, and I was told those drum need to be machined to allow more clutch to be packed in. If possible, I think I will need extra clutches installed for 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear? I think I am going to build one myself. I have a spare unit.
You wont bee too old at all. I had read your td42 built long times ago, and it inspired me to do my own conversion. Thank you!
Most of the clutches have a thick retaining plate that can be replaced with an extra friction and normal steel plate.
Like this:

Building Automotive tire Wood Stairs Tints and shades

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how much the TC ( zd30) engage the inside the oil pump? my Nissan service manual says 18.1 mm from the TC mounting surface to the edge of the bellhousing, but the RE4 service manual says the distant is 24mm?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
question about remove and install the transmission Re4: Is it easier to have a transmission jack like the picture shows? I also have an engine lift. some people do it the lift to life up the RE4 from the top. then another jack to hold on the transcase on the rear. which way would be easier ? I have to install remove the Re4 first to install the new TC and flexplate, then reinstall the Re4 back onto the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
are there any seals for the atf cooler pipe outlet and inlet on both side of the transmission if I need to remove the Re4 and install new TC? I cannot open my Nissan Patrol electronic service manual after few Windoes 10 upgrade. Anyone know what seals that I can order?

·
Registered
nissan
5,149 Posts
are there any seals for the atf cooler pipe outlet and inlet on both side of the transmission if I need to remove the Re4 and install new TC? I cannot open my Nissan Patrol electronic service manual after few Windoes 10 upgrade. Anyone know what seals that I can order?
They‘re banjos with copper washers. Either replace or re-anneal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts