Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

bang from underneath passenger seat

2K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  Andrew44 
#1 ·
when i did some water crossing couple of months ago, i hit so something in the water. it was quite loud bang. since then when i'm going over a speed bump or some particularly bumpy road there is some banging from underneath the car. basically the wheel goes down and when it goes back up something hits something. it feels like it comes from underneath passengers set or legs. that's the side where i hit something in the water. i changed the radius arm bushes (to diff and to chassis) shocks are quite new and appear to be ok. i spend lot of time underneath the car looking for what's wrong, had people rocking the car while i was there, jacked the car up and dropped it down and can't find anything. i was thinking it could be some bodymount. visually they all appear to be ok. tried to tighten them up but don't know how to get to the head of the bolt inside the car. chassis isn't cracked.
i don't want to admit defeat and take it to mechanic, but i'm getting desperate. anyone has any idea or experienced something similar?

#5 ·
Could be a body mount rubber buggered or a crack/break in the floorpan where it sits on a body mount.
If a body mount rubber has collapsed or split badly etc, the floor can flex in that point and make knocking noises around the bolt and crush tube, because the bolts are done up tight against the crush tubes but no longer have the support of the surrounding rubber mount.
To get to the bolt heads you have to lift the carpet up along the door jams (you'll see where the body mount bolts come through from underneath) and under the carpet you'll see 40-50mm round grommets in the floor.
Pop them out and the bolt heads are underneath.

#6 ·
get a small friend and a roll of gaffa tape. Using large amounts of tape stick them to the side of your patrol upside down with their head and ear level at sill height, then go for a drive. They should be able to locate the sound for you.

#16 ·
Ihave a GQ wagon with 2" body lift and had the exact same problem. Changed body mounts which did help a little but not totally, then after many trips and getting underneath looking for rattles decided to change engine mounts (they looked fine) and this totally fixed the problem. Apparently its a common problem, especially the left hand one, it was torn in half. I found this out only after months of guessing what it could be and replacing every bush and bearing in front end. Oh well now I have a new front end and no rattles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.