Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the Patrol has been retired from work duties. We have had this dual cab for four years now. It is now being turned into the work / touring ute.

As it was when we first set it up. Two inch lift, canopy, rear bar, front bar, safari snorkel, trade rack blah blah blah. It has clocked over 90k with only a dead battery and a set of tyres.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Plant

Reactions: trev zd30 and JFF45

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So ordered a tray and some canopy's. One is dog box (our kelpie likes to travel she has finally worked out). Borrowed a mate (and his truck) to pick them up from the Gold Coast.

Triple M aluminium tray. I went alloy as trying to keep weight at a minimum. They are also supplied to OEM such as Isuzu and Toyota. Fits like a glove.

Canopys are MW. There are better but these seem ok. The dream is to only have this ute for another four years and move onto something else.

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire Tree

Reactions: Yeti's Beast

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So whats it like going back to a little sdlck?
Don't worry princess I still have this sitting in the shed. Damn hard to sell it I keep telling the wife. Might help if I advertise it. Gearbox is coming out next week. Had a clutch shudder before a new clutch went in. Came back much the same.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the old tub had a rear bar complete with integrated tow bar. It did not suit the tray at all. So off it came. For $500 it quickly found a new home on another Dmax with a tub. So the guy who fitted my tray then fitted this for me. And tow ball height is spot on for my trailer.

He fitted up a couple of reverse lights as well - well his apprentice did. Did not charge me so happy days.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light
Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So my son come over on the weekend. He brought my mig welder. So he could narrow the jack off tray from my Patrol ute to fit his ute. So along with that, the jack off legs and the two toolboxes that were on the Patrol were all loaded up onto his Patrol and disappeared into the sunset. Including my Mig.

But while he was there I cut up some left over steel from our trailer build, got him to weld it up as a mount for the fridge slide. Dropped the mount and slide into the front box. All good until I tried to close the door. The central lock for the door just hits on the slide. I thought this might be case. I do not want to at this stage fork out for a new smaller fridge. So the rear canopy is all open so no problem drop it in there. Yeh nah by this time the other son turned and he said put it the other way you drongo. It fits nicely. Your can open the lids no worries and the wife can see in. Picture still shows it on the slide but it fits great with out. A couple of tie downs and done.

Next is lithium battery.

Wood Rectangle Bumper Grille Automotive exterior
Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally got back to this yesterday. Mostly done.......I think. Only the second time I have done a battery setup and first time I have done a lithium set up. My Patrol was just a simple second crank battery under the bonnet with a redarc SB isolator.

Found an inverter still new in the box so used it as well. Big enough to charge my battery tools. Still need to run the supply from car battery and rear bar anderson plug. They will plug into the two anderson plugs top right corner.

Fuse box supplies canopy central locking, fridge and canopy lights. The MM box (second hand but like new) will supply power for shower, USB and merit / cigarette outlets.

Do I have your blessing Yeti?

Automotive exterior Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive design Machine

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This afternoon I powered it up. Lights work good. They were in my Patrol tool boxes so recycled. I can add extra if needed. Will have a look when dark.

Now I am a fancy paints like @Yeti's Beast

Azure Font Screenshot Electric blue Logo
Light Air travel Motor vehicle Machine Auto part
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Magenta

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
How’s the new set up going?
The more I look at it the more I want to re do my set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Good.

Been busy with the flood recovery. It only got this far as I took some time out for myself last Sunday. After some of the stuff I have seen I needed it. I starting wiring up the locks for central locking after work during the week. Should finish them this week end. It is going in for a long range tank on Tuesday. Accessories fitter is going to run cabling from car battery and rear Anderson plug while it is on the hoist.

I have made it so it is all plug and play. I mounted all the components, then pulled the board out and stood it in my vice. Wired it all up on the bench then reinstalled. So much easier than having your head / body stuck in a canopy.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Long range tank and UHF in. Tank was near empty so filled it up and three jerry cans for my tractor. Looks like the fuel excise cut has been passed on. That was quick.

And ordered some new wheels.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Alloy wheel

Font Vehicle Gas Signage Electric blue

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Some new hoops and rims went on today. Last week free wheeling hubs, diff drop and 100k service. Nice to use it in low range two wheel drive when backing in the trailer.

It is starting to grow on me. Still not a Patrol but not a bad compromise.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Looking good
I read somewhere that with my ute instead of getting free wheeling hubs , find the solenoid wire that activated the front diff and put a switch on it so that way low range can be activated but still be in 2wd. This way I still have shift on the fly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes not a bad way to do it.

I wanted my axles not to be turning all the time. Plus if I break a CV I can unlock the hub and keep driving.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Happy with this result. Eats hills (which we have plenty of). Yet to tow with it. Tuner wants to flatten out the torque curve. He said there must be a limiter somewhere in the file. Once he finds it he will amend and down load.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Paper

1 - 18 of 18 Posts