Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
22 minute video talking about tuning diesels and not one mention of boost pressure! Haha I can't help but laugh everytime someone mentions how much and how fast they can make boost. Still have one of these I-dash gauges on my wish list of items to have.

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
Following from that there is also a very interesting series of videos titled "Killing a Duramax" basically going through all the bad and good performance modifications and particularly discussing limitations on the air system , turbo system and some of the misconceptions about making boost. Back pressure or high exhaust manifold pressure compared to inlet manifold pressure is something that is often overlooked.

Banks makes the point that the boost gauge is dead, we need EMP/IMP, volume and density of air rather than comparing big boost numbers.

Yes the I dash things look like very nice bit of gear. They keep coming out with better and better versions that record more data and take more sensor inputs. But the prices are right up there when you look at all the different sensors.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep it sure is pricey but being able to get rid of all my separate gauges and have it all in one plus the benefits of data recording - that's priceless haha!

Didn't realise he got on board with the manufacturers so early on with the turbo kit. Been in the game s long time!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,425 Posts
One of the things that is a stand out is the lack of soot. He understands that soot production is bad for efficiency and power. The drift truck just runs a clean exhaust.

One of the things I don't like is the cooling tower the duramax is hooked up to. It's easy to program more water flow or change the water temp.
It's alot harder to change the parameters in the car with a radiator.

One of this quotes ' high emp:imp ratio is the poor man's egr' made me laugh.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
on the vid banks calls it 400 for one of the data logger /monitors( obviously US dolllars )would this be just for the monitor and they must run about 10 different sensors

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Think youd be hard to read the right guage lol
I dash 260 plus evry sensor guage so depending how much data you wanted to read you can display up to 8 which could be handy for 1 guage also can set parameters
Not sure you could change to degrees and metrics
Heres pricing for all sensors

original.jpg

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Think youd be hard to read the right guage lol
I dash 260 plus evry sensor guage so depending how much data you wanted to read you can display up to 8 which could be handy for 1 guage also can set parameters
Not sure you could change to degrees and metrics
Heres pricing for all sensor

> View what matters to you
> Over 300 parameters available*
>> Standard or Metric units
> Built-in sensor for auto-dimming
> Change the color of text & bar graphs

Reactions: Jjjag2099

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,425 Posts
Part 6 Killing a Duramax is available.

I wonder how many people will take notice of his observations with high EMP affecting water temp, oil temp, fuel consumption, power........

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol I doubt it! I still get laughed at when I tell people I don't care about boost and am more interested in EMP. Even after showing them this series of videos that clearly show how detrimental EMP is they still only care about boost and how quickly they can get there turbo to spool! 🤣

·
Registered
86 Posts
I been following this to and all the info from the experts and asking different questions from different tuners etc and I'm starting to see how it works still do have many questions but I'm finding it really interesting even for a carrot farmer haha
I have to watch part 6 now

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thinking about it,
Most people on here would probably would take it in.
Most td brand name groupies on fb probably not.
100% agree with the fb comment, it's just a bloody circus on there these days. Good for a laugh and killing some time but for anything helpful or technical better off looking elsewhere.

Anyone spot that 22psi turbine drive pressure figure they had for the precision turbo. I found it very interesting as that was the exact same figure I came up with after all my hours of playing around on matchbot simulator finding the point of maximum drive before EMP spiraled outta control. Can't get enough of so this stuff, learn something new everyday!

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
920 Posts
Lol I doubt it! I still get laughed at when I tell people I don't care about boost and am more interested in EMP. Even after showing them this series of videos that clearly show how detrimental EMP is they still only care about boost and how quickly they can get there turbo to spool! 🤣
I used to look at boost alone, until I began to learn from the more technical posts on this forum.
On my last test drive I honestly didn't look at the boost gauge.
My eyes were on EGT and coolant temperature while accelerating up a test hill.
If there had been an EMP gauge I'd have been looking at that as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
100% agree with the fb comment, it's just a bloody circus on there these days. Good for a laugh and killing some time but for anything helpful or technical better off looking elsewhere.

Anyone spot that 22psi turbine drive pressure figure they had for the precision turbo. I found it very interesting as that was the exact same figure I came up with after all my hours of playing around on matchbot simulator finding the point of maximum drive before EMP spiraled outta control. Can't get enough of so this stuff, learn something new everyday!
Wasn't it like .7 drive ratio or something?
And stock I can't remember over 1.3?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So maybe if had slightly smaller housing could go.9 or 1:1 and get medium throttle response

I'm sure that would help but don't think it was the goal of the test. Plus he mentioned about changing the torque convertor to keep the rpm up to match the new turbo's characteristics. I also gathering by what he said at the end of the video they are putting on an even bigger turbo! haha.

One thing I noticed was the intake manifolds on these engines, never real paid much attention to them before but it looks like they are a runnerless design from factory. Just something I noticed after spending hours reading the "show us your intake manifold" thread. Funny the small things you pick up after reading stuff.

Edit: My mistake, that was on the video I watched straight after about his monster air ram intake elbow on the cummins 6.7L.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm sure that would help but don't think it was the goal of the test. Plus he mentioned about changing the torque convertor to keep the rpm up to match the new turbo's characteristics. I also gathering by what he said at the end of the video they are putting on an even bigger turbo! haha.

One thing I noticed was the intake manifolds on these engines, never real paid much attention to them before but it looks like they are a runnerless design from factory. Just something I noticed after spending hours reading the "show us your intake manifold" thread. Funny the small things you pick up after reading stuff.

Edit: My mistake, that was on the video I watched straight after about his monster air ram intake elbow on the cummins 6.7L.
I thought he might add some more fuel and see what happens

·
Registered
86 Posts
2 things I'd like now emp gauge and cold side intercooler air temp or density haha

1 - 20 of 184 Posts