Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,891 Posts
hmmm... I've still got my 50L water tank hooked up for my drinking water and general usage outlet hose as well as the water injection. Plus it's not air tight as I have a breather running up the cargo barrier so now that I think more about it I probably will need another dedicated tank for the meth. Meth tanks need to be air tight right otherwise the meth goes bad? Thinking I might just run a temporary tank for testing the water/meth mix before I commit, who knows maybe I'll just be happy with the straight water only. I'm pretty happy with the 150 degrees it's dropped so far with the manifold injection which will allow me to run more diesel. Plus I haven't tried the pre-turbo yet so who knows how much better it'll get.

Found a fuel supplier in Eagle Farm who will deliver 20L meth drums to my door for $46 each. How much are others paying for your meth?
No, not air tight, I fitted a non return breather, that allows air to replace used water volume but won't allow a fluid leak even if I roll it.
$46 is pretty good I'm paying a bit more due to extra transport costs.

·
Registered
nissan
2,820 Posts
Who needs that much meth anyways????
I use some pretty out there nozzles, like 1700cc's worth at full tilt and my 21L tank last for a looong time when used for simply daily duties.
Simplest method I have found, Bunnings 5lt of Metho, refill bottle with water, simple pre mix quantities.

Just a side note, I guess I can go to extremes at times, but while you might find a quench point with simply water, that doesn't mean that a similar amount with a meth mix will be fine also.
From a balance point of view, getting the right pre and post injection with simply water, or a very low mix is ideal in my view, yes the Meth can look good at certain points on the dyno, can't say I feel it on the street.
Biggest difference I can tell, and it takes a while to hear it, is the cylinder pressure difference created, and when you get too aggressive, you can hear it, believe me; water is forgiving.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,891 Posts
Who needs that much meth anyways????
I use some pretty out there nozzles, like 1700cc's worth at full tilt and my 21L tank last for a looong time when used for simply daily duties.
Simplest method I have found, Bunnings 5lt of Metho, refill bottle with water, simple pre mix quantities.

Just a side note, I guess I can go to extremes at times, but while you might find a quench point with simply water, that doesn't mean that a similar amount with a meth mix will be fine also.
From a balance point of view, getting the right pre and post injection with simply water, or a very low mix is ideal in my view, yes the Meth can look good at certain points on the dyno, can't say I feel it on the street.
Biggest difference I can tell, and it takes a while to hear it, is the cylinder pressure difference created, and when you get too aggressive, you can hear it, believe me; water is forgiving.
Not sure where that question was directed but the 50% I mentioned to KD was simply a trial at max quantity, I normally use 10% just to keep my filtered tank water crisp.

Interesting you can't feel meth on road, from my point of view and testing I can definitely feel the difference when a 50/50 mix kicks in at preset when I play.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Isn't methylated spirits mainly ethanol? The two have quite different latent heat of vaporization energies which is quite a bit in favor of methanol. But then it swings in favor of ethanol for the amount of specific energy MJ/kg released, would this be why you experience the increased cylinder pressures with metho?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Just looked up some more about ethanol vs methanol and found this. Auto ignition temp is also much lower for ethanol which could explain the high cylinder pressure problems you have experienced? Not really sure how it all translates to what goes on inside the engine when injected but it seems methanol wins out on everything except MJ/kg. Either way it's rather interesting.

Gasoline-ethanol-and-methanol-properties.png

·
Registered
nissan
2,820 Posts
Interesting, never actually crossed my mind to be honest.
I would have to look at the bottle to see the what it actually is LOL.
I get some more meth and see what happens.
I did experience the same kind of thing with actual Meth originally, it was impossible to run my setup at full tilt.

Ross, horses for course's, my engine makes around twice your torque figure without the injection, which is what you would feel, as you go up, things are harder to feel seat of pants.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,867 Posts
Good Metho in Australia has 90% ethanol and 10% Methanol but crap cheap Metho has crap like acetone, methyl ethyl ketone and other crap i cannot spell.

The other thing which is really the main idea of methanol injection is the ability of methanol to absorb heat way better than ethanol and water and supplies half of its oxygen needed when it ignites which is a bonus similar to NO2 which supplies all its oxygen.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Ross, horses for course's, my engine makes around twice your torque figure without the injection, which is what you would feel, as you go up, things are harder to feel seat of pants.
i was going to mention something along those lines,I would have been accused poking and being wrong regardless...

much easier to feel slight improvements when running rsl power and torque figures.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,370 Posts
i was going to mention something along those lines,I would have been accused poking and being wrong regardless...

much easier to feel slight improvements when running rsl power and torque figures.

Is there a specific number at which you stop making RSL 'type power' and cross over to 'real power'??

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Just looked at a bottle I had in the workshop, just says it contains Min 95% ethanol. No mention of what the other 5% could be so I looked further and got the SDS for it. 0.2 - 4% could be water and the rest "denaturant" of some kind they also choose not to specify but could be any number of those hard to spell words lol.

metho.jpg
metho2.jpg

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,891 Posts
My WM can give more than slight improvement. When I first fitted a DO system to mine years ago I put it on a dyno, +13Hp with wm, when your only putting out around 100hp you certainly feel a difference. I have a long test hill near my home, when climbing that hill in cruise while running a 50/50 mix I get a definitive push back in the seat and cruise control goes crazy for a few seconds. As said earlier I normally use 10% max or when out on the road using plain water, Vinegar.

Yes I appreciate that you will feel less benefit from a 250Hp engine as opposed to a 170hp engine, which is what I have now (having built many race engines over the years I know how hard it is to get that extra few %), but I can still feel it, of course that also depends on compression ratio, boost levels, fueling and amounts injected.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
My WM can give more than slight improvement. When I first fitted a DO system to mine years ago I put it on a dyno, +13Hp with wm
13% increase is quite good considering how cheap you can pay for some of these systems these days. I'd imagine the percentage would stay close to the same no matter the Hp i.e 100Hp increasing to 113Hp, 300Hp increasing to 339Hp?

The guys who did the welding for my injection nozzle bungs where keen to put it on their dyno to see the difference with it on/off. They don't normally do any diesel performance stuff and never use W/M on the petrol cars so seemed quite intrigued. I'll post some results when I finally get it all sorted.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #153 (Edited)
Best video yet I think. Very little advertising and great info on this one. I especially like the section at the end about injection timing and duration of the injection after TDC.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
I forgot to keep monitoring YouTube for updates from Banks. Seems I have a few more videos to catch up on. Please tell me it blows up in one of them! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Just finished watching it, aghh it's so annoying them stringing it out like this. Gotta add in those few little product advertising videos in between the good stuff I guess :rolleyes: oh well it's still enjoyable to watch and great to see all that data you don't normally get to see like live in cylinder pressures etc.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts