Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

My engel fridge sits above my plywood drawers (which are excellent and run on candle wax with no need for runners. I had to tell you that)
The left barn door needs to open all the way for the fridge to clear as it slides out. This was fine until a recent run out to Blackstone and back. We went via the Lake Rason Road kept off the Anne Beadell and went north via the Connie Sue so the corrugations were not too bad.
However after a few days the left door began to sieze on the hinge, and became worse as the trip progressed, not wanting to open all the way. I presume it is siezing on the pin. I have removed the pin covers but have not had any luck trying to drive out the pins to clean and grease them.
Any suggestions.

regards
Godders

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
These hinges tend to flog out over the years with the weight of the wheel on the door, especially if they have suffered from many miles of corrugations. Your best bet would be to change the hinge. It is unlikley the grease is binding enough to prevent the door opening properly, more like a bent or damaged pin. I had the hinges changed when I had the car painted, cost about 100 for the bottom hinge.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
They might be wearing a bit allowing water and dust (fine dust up that way) in and starting to rust the pins.
A good soaking with Penetrene, WD40, or Wurth Rost Off usually frees them up. Also a bit of heat first (off the car of course). Try a bit of Freeze It or Wurth 'Ice" as well. Avoid CRC and el cheapo penetrants as they are water based believe it or not, or dont leave those penetrants on after feeing it up.
Once you get them moving well keep 'working' them for a while squirting penetrant at the same time to help clean the pins out.

Best to take the door (weight) and hinges off to remove the pins for cleaning.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses.
It is the left barn door not the barn door with the wheel.
Sudso you may be right as I always have a small can of WD40 and gave it a fair soaking on and off and only seemed to rectify the problems for short periods I will try some penetrene (because thats whats in the shed)
regards
Godders

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey Godders!
Been there...... pin isn't removable unless you take the hinge off and drive pin out with some heavy gear - it is splined and others on here reckon you need to heat the hinge up to get it to expand, then clout the pin.... yuk!
WD40, aerosol lithium grease only lasts a few weeks etc

What I have now done is drilled and tapped an M6 hole in the centre of the middle hinge arm and temporarily fit a grease nipple, pump it up until grease appears top and bottom, then replace the nipple with a grub screw, flush with the hinge surface.
Works perfectly for me and hinge has stayed lubricated for far longer!!

Good luck!

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,695 Posts
Are the barn door strikers or keepers adjustable? Mine is a bit loose when shut but the hinges are ok :confused:.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John thanks for the grease nipple tip, for the time being I followed Sudso's advice and filled it with penetrene. I first made a little dam out of blue tack to let it soak in a bit both upper and lower hinges and was then able to feed in 4 or 5 drops at a time and by opening and closing the door (many thousands of time) it flushed out all the gunk and after about 1/2 an hour clean penetrene was dribbling through. Problem solvered.
Thank you

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
:) Love the damming idea ;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Took you longer to dam, drip and open and shut the door than it took me to drill, tap and grease up ;-)
Hope it works out!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John that is probably true but with my luck I'd end up with half a hinge pin and an extra long grease nipple hole.

regrads

Godders

1 - 10 of 10 Posts